cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gl704gw Very bad performances on any game

Adolf_Myers
Level 7
I bought a gl704gw a week ago and downloaded (obviously) some games from steam. I noticed that scp secret laboratory (a poorly optimized but still light horror game) get around 40 fps with maxed settings beside the max blood amount that is the default one. 40 fps aren't enough for a 2070. The worst thing is that the fps become around 20 after playing the game for some time.
Yesterday i played cod ww2. Everything worked just fine until the fps dropped to a stable 15 without a reason.
The only way i managed to fix this was by restarting the laptop.
I will return my new laptop if this keep happening (i dont think it's a Ram problem because dropping from 60 to 15 is too much difference).
6 REPLIES 6

nani57992
Level 7
Did you check the temps of CPU and GPU while playing?

nani57992 wrote:
Did you check the temps of CPU and GPU while playing?

I used the "intelligent" keyboard lights (min 65 max 100) and in-game it was red all the time. After i closed the game the temps were around 95-87.

Adolf_Myers wrote:
(max 100) and in-game it was red all the time. After i closed the game the temps were around 95-87.

There is your problem. It's throttling.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
There is your problem. It's throttling.

So i need to undervolt my Cpu and gpu?
Do you know any guide I can follow to get better thermals?
Or is there any good laptop fan?

Adolf_Myers wrote:
So i need to undervolt my Cpu and gpu?
Do you know any guide I can follow to get better thermals?
Or is there any good laptop fan?

It shouldn't be overheating and throttling like that out of the box. You can try undervolting it but I don't think it would bring the temperatures down enough into the safe zone.
For starters, try setting your fans to 100% and see if it changes anything.
Don't bother with cooling pads. Raising the back of the laptop from the table has the exact same effect. Just do that instead. It's cheaper and a lot more practical.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
It shouldn't be overheating and throttling like that out of the box. You can try undervolting it but I don't think it would bring the temperatures down enough into the safe zone.
For starters, try setting your fans to 100% and see if it changes anything.
Don't bother with cooling pads. Raising the back of the laptop from the table has the exact same effect. Just do that instead. It's cheaper and a lot more practical.

Tomorrow i'm going to get a new one using warranty and hoping it doesn't do things like this one. Pray for me