cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen 3XXX (Matisse) on x470 will memory run faster?

Lothos
Level 7
Question is in the title, does anyone know if you can get the new memory speeds being advertised on the x470 board that some of the x570 boards are advertising for the Ryzen 3rd Gen?

I am seeing some boards advertised speeds of 4800+ Mhz on DDR4 memroy. Which has me asking if I can swap my current Ryzen 2700x with a Ryzen 3900x and will I then be able to get speds over 4000Mhz on the DDR4 memory with my Asus x470 Crosshair VII board?
21 REPLIES 21

xeromist
Possibly. There are two issues I've heard so far regarding Ryzen memory improvements. One is the memory controller on the CPU being improved and decoupled from the fabric. The other is motherboard trace improvements. So if your limits stem mostly from the CPU, yes an upgrade will help.

If you don't want to be the guinea pig I'd recommend waiting until others have tried 3000 series on the Crosshair.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Possibly. There are two issues I've heard so far regarding Ryzen memory improvements. One is the memory controller on the CPU being improved and decoupled from the fabric. The other is motherboard trace improvements. So if your limits stem mostly from the CPU, yes an upgrade will help.

If you don't want to be the guinea pig I'd recommend waiting until others have tried 3000 series on the Crosshair.

From what I am seeing in other threads is that the latest BIOS is limiting DDR4 speeds to 2400Mhz if you are using a 3xxx chip and that AGESA 1.0.0.3AB (or something like that) is going to be released soon and that should open it up.

I am hopping 🙂

Lothos wrote:
From what I am seeing in other threads is that the latest BIOS is limiting DDR4 speeds to 2400Mhz if you are using a 3xxx chip and that AGESA 1.0.0.3AB (or something like that) is going to be released soon and that should open it up.

I am hopping 🙂

It has turned out the absent RAM OC was because BOOT DRAM VOLTAGE defaults to 1.2V in this bios, many OC settings needs more juice - normally 1.35V. Just set the value before rebooting and RAM OC will work as usual.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

xeizo wrote:
It has turned out the absent RAM OC was because BOOT DRAM VOLTAGE defaults to 1.2V in this bios, many OC settings needs more juice - normally 1.35V. Just set the value before rebooting and RAM OC will work as usual.

So do you have any links of people posting about this saying they have gotten RAM to run at 4000Mhz with the C7H and a Ryzen 3xxx?

bigtop1967
Level 9
DDR4 is NOT limited at all!

People are running speeds of 4000MTs and more on X470
About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal

Retired
Not applicable
I just did a internet search and found results from Mr Logan

3900x:crosshair 7 = 4400mhz
3700x:crosshair 8 = 4600mhz

Why shouldn't it be possible to OC the memory on Ryzen 3000?

Rockford wrote:
I just did a internet search and found results from Mr Logan

3900x:crosshair 7 = 4400mhz
3900x:crosshair 8 = 4600mhz

Why shouldn't it be possible to OC the memory on Ryzen 3000?

Yes. I have seen several results, it works and very well. You just need to know your bios bugs, like the current 1.2V boot issue.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

Given how the frequency of Infinity Fabric works I am not sure you'd want RAM running that fast, as opposed to running at 3600-3733MHz with better timings.

I have a 3900x on a CH7 and have overclocked my ram to 3600 (ram boot voltage is what is giving alot of people c5 errors, it defaults @ 1.2)

Anyways, here are my timings, set the ram to manual with the fclk to 1800 (half of ram speed, don't leave on auto, your latency will be alot higher if you leave on auto)

https://imgur.com/a/1nbMl4B

Hope that helps.