Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52
  1. #41
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Reputation
    14
    Posts
    77

    The boosting on my 3600 doesn't work anywhere near like your does. I have the crosshair VI mind you.

    I have never seen 4.2ghz and it boosts lower than 4.1ghz in games. PBO and auto OC does nothing either. I can manually OC to 4.2ghz @ 1.35v stable so it clearly can handle it.

    I'm at a loss here as I like PBO and it worked fine on my 2700X. I've tried 1.0.0.2 and 1.0.0.3 bios both are the same. Is there anything I can do?

    I'm currently running manual OC at 4150 mhz @ 1.3v

  2. #42
    ROG Enthusiast Array KeithMyers PC Specs
    KeithMyers PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 7 3900X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #2RTX 2080 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #3RTX 2080 Hybrid
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB
    CPU CoolerXSPC 360 V3 radiator Aqua Computer Kryos Cuplex Next
    CaseThermaltake Level 20 XT
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200
    OS Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC68R

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    45

    Angry But I don't do Windows, so nothing altering fan control other than BIOS

    Quote Originally Posted by DJATOM View Post
    Actually I've noticed such behavior with AI Suite, so I've uninstalled it and no problems with fans for now.
    I don't do Windows. I have no fan control software running. Only have every fan control setting in the BIOS set to disabled to get nothing but +12V.

    Except the BIOS is still turning off all the fan headers twice each day on average.

  3. #43
    ROG Enthusiast Array KeithMyers PC Specs
    KeithMyers PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 7 3900X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #2RTX 2080 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #3RTX 2080 Hybrid
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB
    CPU CoolerXSPC 360 V3 radiator Aqua Computer Kryos Cuplex Next
    CaseThermaltake Level 20 XT
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200
    OS Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC68R

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    45

    Angry No fan issues UNTIL 2501 BIOS

    Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    I believe this is a UEFI bug. Hopefully release after 2602 fixes it.

    I have only experienced fan PWM going bad once on UEFI 2501. The board had been in use ~3 days without power off, only reboots had been done.

    The other two times PWM went bad when I had Ryzen Master open with other monitoring tools, I have to have RM and other tool concurrently open for few minutes and then board headers have an issue.

    I know your not on MS OS, perhaps something in Linux is sending Super IO chip wacko. I have yet to use Linux with R5 3600+C7H.
    But I have run nothing but Linux on my C7H machines since the beginning. Never a problem with fans before the 2501 BIOS.

  4. #44
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
    gupsterg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    102
    Posts
    982

    Quote Originally Posted by igralec84 View Post
    Tried to manually set what DOCP sets, but still no luck, C5 on post after power has been off. I think i'll just wait for a new BIOS and hope it fixes this.
    AFAIK even though we had 3xxx support being added to UEFIs prior to launch, AMD operated a "nothing leaves the room" policy, so I don't think the vendors had a good crack at ironing out bugs, etc. So I do think we'll start seeing improved experience as soon as FW has had some time to mature.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikev190 View Post
    The boosting on my 3600 doesn't work anywhere near like your does. I have the crosshair VI mind you.

    I have never seen 4.2ghz and it boosts lower than 4.1ghz in games. PBO and auto OC does nothing either. I can manually OC to 4.2ghz @ 1.35v stable so it clearly can handle it.

    I'm at a loss here as I like PBO and it worked fine on my 2700X. I've tried 1.0.0.2 and 1.0.0.3 bios both are the same. Is there anything I can do?

    I'm currently running manual OC at 4150 mhz @ 1.3v
    Again I reckon early FW issues, hold fire I reckon soon the C6H will be boosting the CPU as my C7H does. I recall when I owned a C6H and C7H was just being launched there were so many owners on OCN saying "that's it ASUS will pull back on support for this mobo", frankly I reckon they have been doing well. C6H launched back in March 2017, it's now coming up to ~2.5yrs of UEFI updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithMyers View Post
    But I have run nothing but Linux on my C7H machines since the beginning. Never a problem with fans before the 2501 BIOS.
    I do believe ASUS WMI is borked on all current UEFI releases (2406/0068/2501/2602). I had fan issues on C6H with very early UEFIs and it was documented on OCN, you may recall SIV author's input how UEFI 0702/0804 had borked ASUS WMI, it was only after UEFI 1002 it was fixed.

    I reckon the module is not hooking into CPU LPC bus correctly.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matisse IO block diagram.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	81282

    You do high load case on CPU, this is where I can usually see issues on how CPU/SIO are behaving.

    tCTL & tDIE should match the ASUS WMI CPU temperature, it isn't on this POST/test run.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASUS WMI frozen 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	810.7 KB 
ID:	81283

    24min later still an issue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASUS WMI frozen 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	811.2 KB 
ID:	81284

    Those screenies are on UEFI 0068. T Offset: [Auto] , Sense Mi Skew: [Disabled] .
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

    TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

    24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

  5. #45
    ROG Enthusiast Array KeithMyers PC Specs
    KeithMyers PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 7 3900X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #2RTX 2080 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #3RTX 2080 Hybrid
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB
    CPU CoolerXSPC 360 V3 radiator Aqua Computer Kryos Cuplex Next
    CaseThermaltake Level 20 XT
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200
    OS Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC68R

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    45

    Scrrenshot showing Tdie and WMI cpu sensor temps

    Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    AFAIK even though we had 3xxx support being added to UEFIs prior to launch, AMD operated a "nothing leaves the room" policy, so I don't think the vendors had a good crack at ironing out bugs, etc. So I do think we'll start seeing improved experience as soon as FW has had some time to mature.



    Again I reckon early FW issues, hold fire I reckon soon the C6H will be boosting the CPU as my C7H does. I recall when I owned a C6H and C7H was just being launched there were so many owners on OCN saying "that's it ASUS will pull back on support for this mobo", frankly I reckon they have been doing well. C6H launched back in March 2017, it's now coming up to ~2.5yrs of UEFI updates.



    I do believe ASUS WMI is borked on all current UEFI releases (2406/0068/2501/2602). I had fan issues on C6H with very early UEFIs and it was documented on OCN, you may recall SIV author's input how UEFI 0702/0804 had borked ASUS WMI, it was only after UEFI 1002 it was fixed.

    I reckon the module is not hooking into CPU LPC bus correctly.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matisse IO block diagram.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	81282

    You do high load case on CPU, this is where I can usually see issues on how CPU/SIO are behaving.

    tCTL & tDIE should match the ASUS WMI CPU temperature, it isn't on this POST/test run.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASUS WMI frozen 1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	810.7 KB 
ID:	81283

    24min later still an issue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASUS WMI frozen 2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	811.2 KB 
ID:	81284

    Those screenies are on UEFI 0068. T Offset: [Auto] , Sense Mi Skew: [Disabled] .
    I do see both Tdie and WMI sensor match on my 3900X. Actually Tdie has better granularity. It reports tenths of a degree while the WMI sensor only reports full degrees. The sensors come from two different interfaces. The WMI interface provides the cpu temp reading and has latency through an extra interface. The Tdie temp is read directly from the SIO through the PCI bus.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from Gkrellm.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	81305

  6. #46
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
    gupsterg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    102
    Posts
    982

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithMyers View Post
    I do see both Tdie and WMI sensor match on my 3900X. Actually Tdie has better granularity. It reports tenths of a degree while the WMI sensor only reports full degrees. The sensors come from two different interfaces. The WMI interface provides the cpu temp reading and has latency through an extra interface. The Tdie temp is read directly from the SIO through the PCI bus.
    Matches for me in lighter loads, ie Kahru RAM test, RealBench, etc....

    AFAIK tCTL/tDIE is directly from CPU SMU, the WMI is SIO reading CPU and presenting it....
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

    TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

    24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

  7. #47
    ROG Enthusiast Array KeithMyers PC Specs
    KeithMyers PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 7 3900X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200D-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #2RTX 2080 Hybrid
    Graphics Card #3RTX 2080 Hybrid
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB
    CPU CoolerXSPC 360 V3 radiator Aqua Computer Kryos Cuplex Next
    CaseThermaltake Level 20 XT
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200
    OS Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC68R

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    45

    Correction

    Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    Matches for me in lighter loads, ie Kahru RAM test, RealBench, etc....

    AFAIK tCTL/tDIE is directly from CPU SMU, the WMI is SIO reading CPU and presenting it....
    Yes, you are correct, the Tdie and Tctrl temp are pulled from the CPU SMU through the PCI bus.

    k10temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Tdie: +70.5°C (high = +70.0°C)
    Tctl: +70.5°C

    The WMI interface pulls from the SIO chip through the ISA bus.

    asuswmisensors-isa-0000

  8. #48
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
    gupsterg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    102
    Posts
    982

    Little share of what I've noted with differing UEFIs on my setup.

    I have used on my C7HWIFI UEFIs :-

    2406, 0068, 2501, 2602, 2606, 2701

    with R5 3600 & F4-3200C14Q-32GVK.

    All reach 3800MHz 1:1:1 MEMCLK:FCLK:UCLK.

    Only the UEFIs that use AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3AB onwards do not gain CPU core boost clock greater than 4.275GHz with Precision Boost Overdrive set to +150MHz. Any UEFU using AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.2 does hit ~4.3-4.34GHz with Precision Boost Overdrive set to +150MHz. Auto value for ProcODT has been shifting as UEFI development progresses and RTTwr has shifted on 2606/2701 when on 4 dimms.

    From UEFI 2602 "recovery" from bad profile setup is working, ie board will Q-Code: F9, try upto 3 times to POST and then use fail safe settings to recover. UEFI 2606/2701 the recovery process is quicker than 2602. UEFI 2606/2701 also seem to post quicker on subsequent posts after initially setting up a profile. Also AMD Overclocking menu retains setting for reapplication after "recovery" and only AMD CBS settings reset as they did on 1xxx/2xxx CPUs.

    I have had only a glaring issue with UEFI 0068, where on initial POST after flash it will have chipset voltage of ~1.35V, once manually set it is fine.

    The only gripe I have with all the UEFIs, is to avoid SOC voltage going to ~1.1V during post process on OC RAM, I have to set SOC differing way.

    i) UEFI 2406/2501 use AMD Overclocking menu for SOC/VDDP/VDDG.

    ii) UEFI 0068/2602 use Extreme Tweaker for SOC & VDDG, Tweakers Paradise for CLDO_VDDP.

    iii) UEFI 2606/2701 set SOC on Extreme Tweaker as Offset/+/Auto, use AMD Overclocking menu for SOC/VDDP/VDDG.

    All in all happy camper with UEFI progression.

    Just want AMD to bring a SMU FW to later AGESA as we had in AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.2.
    Last edited by gupsterg; 08-17-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

    TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

    24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

  9. #49
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array xeizo PC Specs
    xeizo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)HP i7-7500U 16GB 256GB NVMe
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero
    Processor6700K
    Memory (part number)32GB HyperX/CorsairLP @ 3200MHz
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1080Ti @ Water
    Sound CardSteinberg UR22
    MonitorAOC 1440p 27" S-PLS
    Storage #1256GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe
    Storage #22xSSD:s, 4xHDD:s
    CPU CoolerAntec 620 AIO push-pull 2xNidec Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm
    CaseCorsair Carbide 200R
    Power SupplyCooler Master V550S
    Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown (50$ on sale)
    Mouse Steelseries Sensei RAW
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    Mouse Pad Steelseries, hard
    Headset/Speakers Swissonic ASM5 active studio monitors (thomann.de)
    OS Windows10 preview build 16237
    Network RouterAsus RT-N66U

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Reputation
    38
    Posts
    282

    Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    Little share of what I've noted with differing UEFIs on my setup.

    I have used on my C7HWIFI UEFIs :-

    2406, 0068, 2501, 2602, 2606, 2701

    with R5 3600 & F4-3200C14Q-32GVK.

    All reach 3800MHz 1:1:1 MEMCLK:FCLK:UCLK.

    Only the UEFIs that use AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3AB onwards do not gain CPU core boost clock greater than 4.275GHz with Precision Boost Overdrive set to +150MHz. Any UEFU using AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.2 does hit ~4.3-4.34GHz with Precision Boost Overdrive set to +150MHz. Auto value for ProcODT has been shifting as UEFI development progresses and RTTwr has shifted on 2606/2701 when on 4 dimms.

    From UEFI 2602 "recovery" from bad profile setup is working, ie board will Q-Code: F9, try upto 3 times to POST and then use fail safe settings to recover. UEFI 2606/2701 the recovery process is quicker than 2602. UEFI 2606/2701 also seem to post quicker on subsequent posts after initially setting up a profile. Also AMD Overclocking menu retains setting for reapplication after "recovery" and only AMD CBS settings reset as they did on 1xxx/2xxx CPUs.

    I have had only a glaring issue with UEFI 0068, where on initial POST after flash it will have chipset voltage of ~1.35V, once manually set it is fine.

    The only gripe I have with all the UEFIs, is to avoid SOC voltage going to ~1.1V during post process on OC RAM, I have to set SOC differing way.

    i) UEFI 2406/2501 use AMD Overclocking menu for SOC/VDDP/VDDG.

    ii) UEFI 0068/2602 use Extreme Tweaker for SOC & VDDG, Tweakers Paradise for CLDO_VDDP.

    iii) UEFI 2606/2701 set SOC on Extreme Tweaker as Offset/+/Auto, use AMD Overclocking menu for SOC/VDDP/VDDG.

    All in all happy camper with UEFI progression.

    Just want AMD to bring a SMU FW to later AGESA as we had in AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.2.
    Very nice summary, still on 2501 for the "good" frequencies as none of the bugs are a showstopper for me. I never get C5 from cold boot, only sometimes when rebooting but a shutdown and reboot always solves that, for me 2501 is mostly troublefree.

    I have yet to see what happens with the 3900X, still wainting in it's box, it's possible it's in more need of a newer bios than 3700X.

  10. #50
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
    gupsterg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    102
    Posts
    982

    Quote Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
    Very nice summary, still on 2501 for the "good" frequencies as none of the bugs are a showstopper for me. I never get C5 from cold boot, only sometimes when rebooting but a shutdown and reboot always solves that, for me 2501 is mostly troublefree.

    I have yet to see what happens with the 3900X, still wainting in it's box, it's possible it's in more need of a newer bios than 3700X.
    Yeah 2501 and earlier had been good for me as well. I just like tinkering so try all of the UEFIs TBH .

    Besides boost aspect of ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.3AB onwards, due to the SMU FW adjustments my CPU uses ~50mV more on average VCORE for stock when loaded with Kahru RAM Test .

    See this WMV of 2x8GB very initial testing, now compare it with todays, link. My CPU has not degraded, if I roll back UEFI I gain back lower VCORE for same load case.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

    TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

    24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •