ROG Member Array g051051 PC Specs
    g051051 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Zenith Extreme X399
    ProcessorRyzen Threadripper 1950X
    Graphics Card #1Geforce GTX 1060

ROG Zenith Extreme (not Alpha) switching to NVMe instead of SATA on DIMM.2

I have a ROG Zenith Extreme (not Alpha) with 2 1Tb M.2 SATA sticks on the DIMM.2 card. The price for 1Tb NVMe sticks has dropped to under $100 per, so I'm considering an upgrade. How easy is that nowadays? I remember horror stories from early on with incompatible drivers, RAID getting messed up, etc.

I have a 4Tb array on the normal SATA ports, and the most current SATA RAID drivers. Is there any issue with the NVMe RAID drivers and the SATA ports?

I figure I'll have to do the following steps:

1. Clone my boot drive off of the M.2 SATA RAID.
    2. Switch the firmware to enable NVMe.
    3. Replace the old M.2 SATA with NVMe sticks.
    4. Set up array on NVMe drives.
    5. Boot the clone drive
    6. Install NVMe RAID drivers???
    7. Clone updated boot drive back to NVMe RAID.
    8. Boot from NVMe RAID

The "Install NVMe RAID drivers" part is my concern. Anyone have any experience with the most recent 9.2.0.120 AMD RAID Drivers package (7/7/2019)? Any additional steps I need to take? This seems like a totally safe operation...my old M.2 sticks will be untouched so I can just swap them back in if something goes wrong.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I'm going to piggypack of this ( hope you don't mind )

I would like to know also if you can place this device in the board with no drives in it - I like the aesthetic of it and what effects would it have if the board was unpopulated?
    I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should volunterily remove them selves from the gene pool.
    Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K/SLI EVGA 3G GTX 580's/12 TB Raid/Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU/Xigmatek Elysium Case
    G751JY-T7042H 32G/980M/256G M2. SSD 2TB SPINNER
    Power Mad Muhahaha

ROG Member Array g051051 PC Specs
    g051051 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Zenith Extreme X399
    ProcessorRyzen Threadripper 1950X
    Graphics Card #1Geforce GTX 1060

Quote Originally Posted by FalloutBoy View Post
    I would like to know also if you can place this device in the board with no drives in it - I like the aesthetic of it and what effects would it have if the board was unpopulated?
    I don't get your meaning. What device? How would it work with no drives? Or do you just mean 1 M.2 stick in the 3rd slot (under the protective cover)? I'm pretty sure that would work just fine.