cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPS suddenly drops in Apex Legends/Metro Exodus in "Silent"-mode on Scar III G531GW

yakostar
Level 8
I have an Asus Scar III G531GW laptop (RTX 2070, 2x16GB RAM, i7-9750) and when I set the laptop to "Silent Mode" and play Apex Legends it plays fine at first, I'm getting anything between 70-240 FPS on maximum settings. But after playing for around 10 minutes, the FPS suddenly drops to around 10-25fps and stays there until I quickly toggle between "Balanced" or "Turbo" mode and back to to Silent mode again. After this, it works fine for another ~5-10 minutes.

I get around 20% worse performance on silent mode, but I still play on it because of the loud fan noise on "Balanced" and "Turbo", especially if my SO is in the same room. While the FPS drops I notice that the GPU has 100% load according to MSI afterburner and that the CPU usage is low around 1-9% (usually this is 35+) until I toggle to balanced/turbo and back to silent again. 'The temps looks OK from what I can see (GPU around 70-75C, CPU around 80-85C)

Same behaviour in Metro Exodus (NOT REDUX , ERROR IN SUBJECT :rolleyes:)

Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? If it is power throttling, I wouldn't mind cranking down the performance a little bit to avoid this from happening. And since the temps look good, I assume playing on Silent Mode shouldn't be bad for the laptop right?

Thanks for your help!
1 REPLY 1

yakostar
Level 8
yakostar wrote:
I have an Asus Scar III G531GW laptop (RTX 2070, 2x16GB RAM, i7-9750) and when I set the laptop to "Silent Mode" and play Apex Legends it plays fine at first, I'm getting anything between 70-240 FPS on maximum settings. But after playing for around 10 minutes, the FPS suddenly drops to around 10-25fps and stays there until I quickly toggle between "Balanced" or "Turbo" mode and back to to Silent mode again. After this, it works fine for another ~5-10 minutes.

I get around 20% worse performance on silent mode, but I still play on it because of the loud fan noise on "Balanced" and "Turbo", especially if my SO is in the same room. While the FPS drops I notice that the GPU has 100% load according to MSI afterburner and that the CPU usage is low around 1-9% (usually this is 35+) until I toggle to balanced/turbo and back to silent again. 'The temps looks OK from what I can see (GPU around 70-75C, CPU around 80-85C)

Same behaviour in Metro Exodus (NOT REDUX , ERROR IN SUBJECT :rolleyes:)

Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? If it is power throttling, I wouldn't mind cranking down the performance a little bit to avoid this from happening. And since the temps look good, I assume playing on Silent Mode shouldn't be bad for the laptop right?

Thanks for your help!

I solved this by undervolting the GPU and locking the clock frequency/voltage to 0.7v.