cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange problem after GL502V new NVMe and Windows 10 installation

Milambar
Level 7
OK, so a year or two ago, I bought this laptop a GL502V from a UK retailer called PCWorld. It was and still is a fantastic laptop. However the boot drive was starting to get a little cramped. So I yanked it out, and installed a brand new Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 500GB, and installed Windows 10 64 bit from a flash drive created with the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool.

Windows installed flawlessly, and automatically activated itself, and updated itself, all without any problem at all. Except one.

When the laptop RESTARTS, the laptop just hangs on the bios flash screen. No matter how long I leave it, it just hangs there, on the bios flash screen.

However if I hard power-off, and then power on again, the laptop boots in seconds, without issue.

I have tried the following:
I have turned off fast boot in the bios.
I have reset the bios to safe defaults.
I have updated the NVMe's firmware via Samsung Magician.

I have not tried updating the laptop's own BIOS firmware, as I can't find any actual model GL502V, I suspect it was a PCWorld Special. Therefore I can't find the relevant firmware files for it. I have been using the downloads from the GL502VT page, which seems to be the same laptop but not 100% sure.

Ideally, I'd like a way to turn off the BIOS splash screen, so I can see if there are any errors that can be fixed to resolve the issue, but I am willing to consider other solutions. There does not seem to be an obvious way in the BIOS to disable the splash screen.

Can anyone suggest anything I have overlooked?
5 REPLIES 5

FalloutBoy
Level 7
Make sure that in U.E.F.I the system is still not trying to boot from the old NVMe drive as opposed to the new one and needless to say make sure the USB isn't still plugged in, in case it's trying to boot from that.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

Milambar
Level 7
Sorry for a slow reply. It seems I figured this out.

First on the advice of a friend, I loaded a linux live distro, and ran dmidecode, which confirmed that the exact model is a GL502VT, and that the ssd was a genuine 970 EVO Plus. Linux had no problem in rebooting the laptop. Only windows did.

With his help, a bit more digging around, we figured that Windows 10 had for some reason, overwritten the Samsung SSD driver, with a Generic Windows NVMe driver. It appears due to the hardware based encryption used on the 970, Windows doesn't successfully tell the drive that its rebooting, or something, the specifics were lost on me.

Restoring the Samsung driver, made the laptop start behaving itself again.

Well done and sorting it out, it's something I'll have to look out for myself as I have an 970 Evo installed on my Win 10 Pro R5E10.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

Milambar wrote:

Restoring the Samsung driver, made the laptop start behaving itself again.

Hi there, im having same problem and i installed samsung nvme driver, but problem is still there.
No, NVME driver installs as storage controller and not Disk Drive. Can u give more specifics of how u fixed it? Where did u get that driver and how you replaced it?

Thank you

I have the same problem with G752VS and Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB. When rebooting from Windows, after restart just hangs on the rog bios logo and I have to Crrl+Alt+Del for it to boot. Very Annoying!
Samsung NVME driver version 3.2.0.1910 is installed under storage controllers. Problem with SSD or its firmware?