cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttlestop / undervolting question

Daniel_Shaw
Level 10
Hi all

As the topic says I'm after advice on undervolting my CPU on the asus rog gl504gm laptop.

I have had a play with throttlestop after studying a guide on youtube and thought I successfully found a stable setting.

Managed -115mv on the core and cache, ran prime95 for well over a hour with no crash and temps were reasonable at 60 to 70c

However when playing a game for nearly an hour I've had 2 bsod errors. Whea uncorrectable error and watchdog timeout

These 2 point to an unstable undervolt.

Why doesnt the system fail on prime but fails on a game when the cpu isn't even being pushed as hard?

What are people using to fully test system stability whilst undervolting ?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

unclewebb
Level 10
Prime95 testing is important but it is only testing your CPU when it is fully loaded. At full load, the maximum multiplier will decrease and it might decrease significantly if there is any thermal or power limit throttling going on. Try doing some part load testing. When running Prime95, try running just a couple of threads. The built in TS Bench will also let you run a partial load like this. Make sure both of these tests report zero errors.

Any BSOD while under volting is a pretty good sign that the voltage you have selected is not adequate. It is not unusual for a person to have to reduce their undervolt. The CPU needs to be stable at full load, part load and idle.

Daniel_Shaw
Level 10
I see, thought If it was stable at full load it would be at lesser loads. New one on me today.

I will re test as advised and see what happens.

Thanks