Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest C7H BIOS

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by EZ_PC_TECH View Post
    Not really. I suspect that reviews that you see are paid. We have an overclocking team here and tested pretty much any thermal paste/pad available on the market and this pad as well. This pad isn't terrible, but good thermal paste will give you better results since it can get in every microcavity of the contact surfaces. My favorite paste is Thermalright TF8, it hands down better than all Noctua, Cryorig, MX, etc pastes I tried. Just get it (only $10) and apply it this way: https://imgur.com/a/l36QZES
    One regular blop in the middle and 4 smaller in the corners. This way you'll cover IOD and CCDs entirely on any Ryzen. You'll need 0.1 - 0.11mL of thermal paste to cover the entire IHS.
    I understand your comment about fake reviews on Amazon but 665?????????????

I doubt that!

I do use the 5 dot method (have for about 20 years). It is nothing new!

NOTE: What I found was air-flow affects more on keeping the CPU cool than the method used for placing the dots. Bad airflow, it does not matter how well you do the paste it will still cook!

That pad looks interesting and I am wondering if anyone has used something like that and if so what where the results?

New ROGer Array EZ_PC_TECH PC Specs
    EZ_PC_TECH PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair Hero VII x470/MSI Godlike x570
    ProcessorRyzen 7 3700X/3900X/3950X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill FlareX 3800 14-16-14-16-26 CR1)
    Graphics Card #1MSI 1070Ti Titanium EK WB
    Graphics Card #21080Ti EK WB
    MonitorMSI Optix 32"
    CPU CoolerXSPC Raystorm Pro + Alphacool XT45 360 + D5 + HW Labs GTX480 + HW Labs GTX420
    CaseFully custom
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime SSR-650T
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RedSector73 View Post
    Can you stop with your unproven method of ditching everything based on your own limited exposure to Ryzen. How many of these systems do you own or have you built ?

You seem quite young or naive or both. Explain this then.
    Thanks for another outdated video that tested on intel in times of the old generation of Ryzen with one chip, but unfortunately, it's irrelevant in case of Zen2.
    I have no idea how many systems I built since I'm in the business since 2004. Probably more than a number of watts that your D15 can dissipate
    That's not my fault that you don't know me, my abilities and my exposure to OC in general. Just as a hint, you can find references to my name in TechPowerUp articles, as well as many other places. I'm working with 1usmus(if this name tells you something) and a group of overclockers and developers who in direct contact with AMD and Intel, and we are trying to make your life easier creating RAM calculators, power plans, looking for ways to improve the boost on Ryzen CPUs, etc.

Now, regardless of who I am, let's look at this problem closer. Just try to use logic:

My cooling system at the point where I'm limited exclusively by two factors - the surface of IHS and heat transfer medium between IHC and block. At this point, I can much more clearly see the impact of thermal compound on cooling abilities.

Tests that you are referring to are made on single-chip CPUs with which you could get away with the simplest blob in the middle which will cover the hot spot. In this case, the application of the thermal paste won't affect the cooling significantly, despite with every CPU you want to have as large contact surface as possible.
    Same idea behind the fins of your air cooler or radiator - larger coolers/radiators offer the larger "contact" surface with air so more heat can be transferred. Smaller surface - less cooling accordingly.

Imagine that you have a system with 5x480 radiators that cool the water to ~<1C delta over ambient. At this point, you'll be limited by 37*37mm IHS since the surface of the fins of any water block is larger than IHS and the block won't be a limiting factor (not even talking about air coolers where thing are worse).
    Each 1 square mm of lost contact surface will cost you 2.7% of cooling ability. You can install 10 more radiators, and your cooling will be bottlenecked by the thermal conductivity of the compound and the contact surface between the cooler/block and IHS.

Now, here is worse: chips on the Zen2 are extremely close to the corners (https://imgur.com/a/8TxltSr), and the hot spot is no longer in the middle of the IHS as it was before (when tests that you are referring to was done). So, the application methods that doesn't cover each and every square mm of the IHS take away a significant chunk of your cooling abilities.
    Now, look at this picture https://imgur.com/a/hu0Mltv and project it on the position of chips under Ryzen's IHS. I hope it's clear that with this (most popular btw) method, you are not covering the hottest spots of the Zen2CPU. How do you think, not covering the hot spots matters or you are still want to stick to conclusions from outdated videos?

My apologies, if my first comment sounded rude, but I'm really annoyed by people who do not understand why the outdated data about the application of the thermal compound is not relevant any longer. I sincerely hope that now you are understanding why I have a strong reason to disagree with you.
    Last edited by EZ_PC_TECH; 12-10-2019 at 09:57 PM.

New ROGer Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FA506IU-AL130T x 2
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)4 x G.SKILL F4-3800C14D-16GTZN 14-16-16-36 Samsung B-Die
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    Sound CardArctis DAC
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

I don't use the method on which you ditch and never said I did.

I read your post(s) on TIM.

Here what I take away from your posts.
    (1) No TIM going to be an issue for you (of which you support a brand) and you dislike thermal pads (which I am sceptical about as well).
    (2) Any method of application is still better the (1)
    (3) You have a preferred application method that you believe is better than all others for Ryzen Zen 2.
    (4) Heat transfer based on position between cpu and heatsink materials is your current lead.
    (5) Thermal dynamics sounds new to you.

Did I miss something or quote you incorrectly in this summary ?

What I prefer is raw data, show it, and make my own decision, sure provide a summary. (ie: You need to use paste of at least this thermal conductivity as below this is producing this result, here is the raw data showing this on static setup)
    So for the blob method `imo was always was an average idea even when we had monolithic dies. So preaching to quire and dropping names, isn't the technical, I would expect from experienced builder.

You could be noone and have valid point, just show me the data or else just another crazy TIM method post, on a method I don't use.

I do a spread layer on cpu and the heatsink. Matting them together. Used this method longer than when you started with computers 2004.
    Won't be changing or pushing my method. It works for me and any computer I build.

Lastly, I find it strange that your chosen subject is TIM matters. Air flow in case is far more important, having a decent PSU, not using stock cooler and expecting the world breaking o/c from it, decent RAM. Maybe this matters a whole lot less than you think or maybe it matters more than I think, but I don't have your data and you publish your ideas from that data, without disclosing that data, which along with name dropping, I find difficult to take seriously.

One question I do have G.Skill FlareX 3800. If you running 3800 @ 14-16-14-16-26 CR1 can you share the full memory profile. I would be interested in seeing this, if you would share the data.
    Last edited by RedSector73; 12-11-2019 at 01:44 AM.

EZ_PC_TECH PC Specs
    MonitorMSI Optix 32"
    CPU CoolerXSPC Raystorm Pro + Alphacool XT45 360 + D5 + HW Labs GTX480 + HW Labs GTX420
    CaseFully custom
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RedSector73 View Post
    I don't use the method on which you ditch and never said I did.

I read your post(s) on TIM.

Here what I take away from your posts.
    (1) No TIM going to be an issue for you (of which you support a brand) and you dislike thermal pads (which I am sceptical about as well).
    (2) Any method of application is still better the (1)
    (3) You have a preferred application method that you believe is better than all others for Ryzen Zen 2.
    (4) Heat transfer based on position between cpu and heatsink materials is your current lead.
    (5) Thermal dynamics sounds new to you.

Did I miss something or quote you incorrectly in this summary ?

What I prefer is raw data, show it, and make my own decision, sure provide a summary. (ie: You need to use paste of at least this thermal conductivity as below this is producing this result, here is the raw data showing this on static setup)
    So for the blob method `imo was always was an average idea even when we had monolithic dies. So preaching to quire and dropping names, isn't the technical, I would expect from experienced builder.

You could be noone and have valid point, just show me the data or else just another crazy TIM method post, on a method I don't use.

I do a spread layer on cpu and the heatsink. Matting them together. Used this method longer than when you started with computers 2004.
    Won't be changing or pushing my method. It works for me and any computer I build.

Lastly, I find it strange that your chosen subject is TIM matters. Air flow in case is far more important, having a decent PSU, not using stock cooler and expecting the world breaking o/c from it, decent RAM. Maybe this matters a whole lot less than you think or maybe it matters more than I think, but I don't have your data and you publish your ideas from that data, without disclosing that data, which along with name dropping, I find difficult to take seriously.

One question I do have G.Skill FlareX 3800. If you running 3800 @ 14-16-14-16-26 CR1 can you share the full memory profile. I would be interested in seeing this, if you would share the data.

At first of all - sure, here you go https://imgur.com/a/bH6qnZc

Second is, don't get me wrong, but I'm not interested in educating someone who seems to be unable to learn.
    If you don't like what I offered you to solve your issue - do what you think is right.
    The method that I recommending also recommended by Noctua https://youtu.be/iBS2SfB4wB0?t=53 (You seem to be using D15, aren't you? Do you know better than them? )
    Lastly, I just noticed that you have a cheap AIO with a round block(if I'm not mistaking it) in your "specs" which doesn't work well with Zen2 for the same reason - not full coverage and overall, I wouldn't expect it to work well with 3900X. I can be wrong, so check the dimensions of the fins of your cooler and compare with this image to make sure you have all hot spots covered https://imgur.com/a/wGNXVaA

I recommend you to check this thread, there is a lot of precious info about it. https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...oming-out.html

If you are looking to solve your overheating issue which as we figured has nothing to do with a BIOS (since other people don't suffer from your symptoms) you really want to be open to learning and trying something new instead of being defensive and stubborn. If you want to change something - you should do something that you have not done before. If you repeat the same actions - results will remain the same.
    Last edited by EZ_PC_TECH; 12-11-2019 at 06:24 AM.

New ROGer Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FA506IU-AL130T x 2
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)4 x G.SKILL F4-3800C14D-16GTZN 14-16-16-36 Samsung B-Die
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    Sound CardArctis DAC
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

Your confused. I never had or said I have overheating issue. Thank you for the information provided.
    Last edited by RedSector73; 12-11-2019 at 07:04 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

OMG, can the two of you stop measuring eachother up. At some point I am going to ask that you get a room together.

The question was about those thermal pads instead of using paste.

EZ_PC_TECH, believes they are non-sense but there are several on the market and it has over 600 reviews which an extremely high rating. I am asking if anyone has tried these on a Ryzen CPU and what were the results when compared to thermal compound?

EDITED: I found this article https://graphicscardhub.com/best-thermal-pad/

Hmm, also found this youtube video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM
    Last edited by Lothos; 12-11-2019 at 12:41 PM.

EZ_PC_TECH PC Specs
    MonitorMSI Optix 32"
    CaseFully custom
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lothos View Post
    OMG, can the two of you stop measuring eachother up. At some point I am going to ask that you get a room together.

The question was about those thermal pads instead of using paste.

EZ_PC_TECH, believes they are non-sense but there are several on the market and it has over 600 reviews which an extremely high rating. I am asking if anyone has tried these on a Ryzen CPU and what were the results when compared to thermal compound?

EDITED: I found this article https://graphicscardhub.com/best-thermal-pad/

Hmm, also found this youtube video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpphKzmDiJM
    I'm not saying that they are nonsense, they definatly will be useful for some, I just said that the thermal compound will most likely give you better results which makes sense since TIM can fill the microcavities, unlike the pad. Unless you'll add some thermal paste to both sides (I do this with most of the pads I use for GPU, VRM, VRAM, etc), but then it's not clear what is the purpose of that pad at the first place. In the case of VRAM, you need to fill the 0.5mm+ gap, and the pad is necessary, while with CPU we need as direct contact as it just possible.
    BTW: Look at the bad review first https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...ews-filter-bar
    On Amazon, quite often people giving a good review for sort of giveaway. Those "free stuff reviewers" unlikely will give 1 star for the product, while people who really paid for it will do it without hesitation.

ROG Enthusiast Array MattTheTech PC Specs
    MattTheTech PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Nothing Interesting
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 9 3900x
    Memory (part number)3200C14D-16GFX (32GB Total)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
    Sound CardHT Omega eCLARO
    Monitor3 Wall Mounted-1x Samsung 55" 4K TV (Runs 1440p 120hz), 2x LG 32" 1080p
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo
    Storage #23x Samsung 850 Evo 512GB in Raid 0 For 1.5TB Array Game Drive + ZFS 30TB NAS/Server For Storage
    CPU CoolerEKWB Dual Custom Water Loop
    CaseModded Rosewill Evo Armor 2 (I know all reviews hated it, but after my Mods its been a GREAT CASE)
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair RGB k70 Lux V2
    Mouse Logitech G700s
    Headset Oculus Rift
    Mouse Pad Razor Vespula
    Headset/Speakers 7.1 Custom Built Surround Sound System
    OS Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC1900p
    Accessory #1 10Gb Nic

Quote Originally Posted by EZ_PC_TECH View Post
    I'm not saying that they are nonsense, they definatly will be useful for some, I just said that the thermal compound will most likely give you better results which makes sense since TIM can fill the microcavities, unlike the pad. Unless you'll add some thermal paste to both sides (I do this with most of the pads I use for GPU, VRM, VRAM, etc), but then it's not clear what is the purpose of that pad at the first place. In the case of VRAM, you need to fill the 0.5mm+ gap, and the pad is necessary, while with CPU we need as direct contact as it just possible.
    BTW: Look at the bad review first https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...ews-filter-bar
    On Amazon, quite often people giving a good review for sort of giveaway. Those "free stuff reviewers" unlikely will give 1 star for the product, while people who really paid for it will do it without hesitation.
    For what its worth, Your Method Of Applying Thermal Paste is among the best for Zen 2 Specifically. It won't hurt on Zen or Zen+ Either because of the CCX Positions, but for Zen 2, if you don't Manually Spread the Thermal Paste Across the Entire IHS, than your Method is definitely the best.

That said Spreading a Thin Layer of your Preferred Thermal Paste across the entire IHS, and then Applying EVEN pressure across the IHS while Mounting Your Cooling Element, is the most consisent method of applying thermal paste, no matter the CPU/GPU Architecture. But again, using your method, and making sure to Apply Even Pressure while mounting your cooler, will also give you pretty similar results.

Regarding Thermal Pads, I have started to use them in my lab. I would not recommend for Zen2 if Overclocking. They work, and well, and will give you consistent results when running Thermal Tests across a wide sample of CPU's, where the goal is to limit the variable of your Thermal Compound Application. This is where these new Thermal Pads, in particular the new Thermal Grizzly Ones (They are among the best I have tested, although admittedly I have only tested a handful of others) really shine. You can Run your Thermal Stress Tests on your CPU and collect your data, unmount the cooling solution, remove the thermal pad, replace either the same thermal pad or another from the same batch, Remount the Cooler (and don't have to pay much attention to applying even Pressure while Mounting) fire up the same tests, repeat the process 10 times on the same CPU and end up with damn near the same exact results when accounting for Room Ambient. This consistency is hands down the most amazing thing about these pads. Then when you need to collect data across a wide range of CPU's, having that consistency with your Thermal Interface, allows you to more directly compare your data and draw fairly accurate conclusions.

That said, again if your goal is to get the best Overclock out of your system, whether its your daily driver, or its for an OC Competition of some sort, then your will be able to get better results with high quality thermal paste. Its not worlds better, but every .1c helps when you are trying to get the most out of your CPU, and as long as you apply even pressure, and make sure the entire IHS is Covered, You will almost always get better results with Say Kryonaut or Thermal Right, then you will with a thermal Pad.

Anyways, sounds like you guys probably already know this, so not even sure why I butted in, other to say you guys are both right. Happy OCing!!!

New ROGer Array

any news beside thermal paste?
    my enthusiast heart would like to try out enthusiast AGESA 1.0.0.4(B) over the holidays.
    How are the chances to get an unbroken AGESA? rhetorical question..

ROG Enthusiast Array Zefram PC Specs
    Zefram PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti OC Edition
    MonitorAsus PG279QZ 165Hz & VG248QE 144Hz
    Storage #1500GB Samsung 970 EVO
    Storage #24TB Western Digital
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop
    CaseFractal Design Define R6
    Power SupplyCorsair RM850x
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB
    Headset Sennheiser Gaming One
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus Control
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Network RouterNetgear N600
    Accessory #1 Blue Yeti Blackout Microphone

I dont know what the changes are but the 3004 bios is released.
    CH7 https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...-ASUS-3004.zip
    CH7 Wifi https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...-ASUS-3004.zip

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast