cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UX530UQ Battery light slow flashes green twice, then pause

andytr
Level 7
Hi

I've got a ZenBook UX530UQ that's powering on (LED's + fan spins up), but nothing on screen and no other activity, other than a light flash sequence on the right-side edge of the laptop:

Power light: White - solid.
Battery light: Two slow green flashes, followed by long pause, then repeat.

I've tried the following to no avail:

• Held power button down for 30 seconds.
  • Tried new ASUS power adapter.
  • Disconnected battery and run on mains power only.
  • Disconnected all internal components (except keyboard for power button).

Its looking like a motherboard fault, but I can't tell what that is. Does anybody know what this light flash sequence indicates, please? If so, is there a way of resolving it that doesn't involve replacing the motherboard at astronomical cost?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

andytr
Level 7
Bump ...

Anyone ?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
andytr wrote:

Its looking like a motherboard fault, but I can't tell what that is. Does anybody know what this light flash sequence indicates, please? If so, is there a way of resolving it that doesn't involve replacing the motherboard at astronomical cost?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, I'm located in the U.S. and not very familiar with the UX530UQ over here or the meaning of the flashing light sequence, but don't know that there is much more you can do on your end either way.

If you have not discussed with your local ASUS support office yet, consider checking with them too.

Just wondering when you purchased the notebook though and if you can just look into getting warranty service?

Between the motherboard and battery though, may be possible that the problem is just a bad battery rather than a bad motherboard although there may not be an easy way to determine this until you replace one or the other to find out which one fixes it.
If the system still doesn't work when the battery is disconnected though, maybe that points more to a motherboard issue.

Hi cl-albert

Its a UK model purchased from Currys PC World, i.e. a major electronics retailer in the UK. I believe they often have models built to their spec, so it could be one of theirs.

Its out of warranty, so Currys PC World will almost certainly just replace the motherboard and bill me £650 + 20% VAT, which is what I've been told it may cost. ASUS wanted £45 for delivery costs to collect for diagnosis and return, which was non-refundable whether I went ahead with the repair or not. I don't really want to pay £45 to find out its an uneconomical repair.

I assume the light flash codes are the same throughout any ASUS notebook in the same generation, so was hoping somebody may have an engineers service manual that has a table of the codes. The service manual for HP and Dell laptops is available to download on the public support page of every device, which includes a fault code table, but I'm finding it impossible to find this info for an ASUS ZenBook.

Does anybody have any ideas where I may be able to find the service manual, please?

Thanks!

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi andytr,

Make sure you're using the original ASUS adapter or the correct one while we're at it, and if there is any chance you have changed the adapter, I can help you check the specs for that if you haven't already.

As far as the light flash codes and service guides go, many repair offices in the U.S. at least cannot repair motherboards and would send it somewhere else to have this done, so they wouldn't even have the light flash codes since it wouldn't do them any good.
Basically, if it's a motherboard problem, repair would normally replace the entire motherboard rather than repair it.

ASUS does not allow customers to repair notebooks and doesn't provide repair parts, so you wouldn't be able to get a service guide from ASUS, but they don't include light flash codes either, so don't know that it would be able to help you much unless you're just planning to find a motherboard and replace it yourself assuming that is really the problem.

Was thinking if you could find someone who is able to repair motherboards, they might be able to diagnose the issue and hopefully fix it, but not sure how easy it is to find somebody to do this.

Anyway, I could be wrong about some or all of this, so you may want to check around more to get a better idea of the situation and hope you are able to solve it.

By the way you may already know it should be possible to remove the hard drive and attach it to an external USB adapter to transfer data if this helps at all.