cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cheaper asus B450/X470 boards get pci 4.0 support expensive ones not?

Gothmoth
Level 8
do i read this chart correct?

cheap asus boards get pci 4.0 support on the first PCIE slot and expensive ones not?

7 REPLIES 7

Alessio1989
Level 9
This should be related on PCI-E switches and how they are made and where they are located on the PCB. Simpler (and cheaper) PCBs may have less issues due PCB complexity to handle the new signal. That's not a conspiracy. On the other side more expensive PCB have better VRM, which means expensive MBs usually handle better high-end Ryzen 3000 CPUs due to better power delivery and better VRM cooling.

Alessio1989 wrote:
This should be related on PCI-E switches and how they are made and where they are located on the PCB. Simpler (and cheaper) PCBs may have less issues due PCB complexity to handle the new signal. That's not a conspiracy.

who told you it is a conspiracy?

you could think a bit of the money goes into better PCB and signal integrity for OC boards like the crosshair.
not just water pump connections, fan headers, rgb lighting and stuff.

Gothmoth wrote:
who told you it is a conspiracy?

you could think a bit of the money goes into better PCB and signal integrity for OC boards like the crosshair.
not just water pump connections, fan headers, rgb lighting and stuff.

Better PCB means more complex PCB. PCI-E 4 signal on better but more complicated and rich PCB may have issues since none of those components were thought for PCI-E 4.0 signal. Cheaper MB have simple and poor PCB, which means less issues for the new signals.

xeromist
None of those boards were designed for gen4. Given that the more expensive boards are trying to do more things at the same time it's not surprising they might have issues.

Also note that no GPU will need gen4 anyway and won't for the life of these boards. The only devices that might use the extra speed would be PCIE SSDs. Even then you're unlikely to notice the difference.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeizo
Level 12
At least Crosshair has 4.0 for M. 2 which can be used right now. No graphics cards has the need for better than 3.0 x16 right now, not even 2080Ti. Even 3.0 x8 won't bottleneck a 1080Ti.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

gupsterg
Level 13
Anandtech story seems to say this will go.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14639/no-amd-still-isnt-enabling-pcie-4-on-300400-series-boards

Currently C7H is on AGESA ComboPi-AM4 1.0.0.2, probably when updated feature will go. I know where some of the Gigabyte boards had newer AGESA than what ASUS boards for this context are on, feature went.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

bigtop1967
Level 9
AMD did make some kind of statement about it and that it would be disabled in the future. However, we already know that NVMe drives work well in the pcie 4 slot on the CH7.

Partly they're (probably) doing this because it's tech support nightmare. It just won't work on some boards. I've read some of the pcie tech docs which state that under certain circumstances, ver 4.0 could run on 3.0 hardware, but with some limitations, most notable distance from cpu and signal paths that don't receive to much interference.

So if it gets disabled, I think the main reason will be to sell x570, then to prevent too many tech support requests.

Now we know it works on our board, I think they would be idiots to remove the functionality from us. We need to tell them this!
About me: I am dyslexic and DO occasionally miss things!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary, and those that don't.
F people in 10 don't understand hexadecimal