cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Responsibility to Support Sales of Laptops Without Operating System

jdfrench3
Level 12
I've seen a couple new model ASUS laptops being sold without an OS. One came with a Driver DVD and one did not. Its rather odd as neither laptop came with a CD/DVD player. One ASUS model had an ASUS Download Center website and the other ASUS model did not have an ASUS Download Center website.

The lucky guy with the Driver DVD also had a ASUS Download Center website. After installing Windows, the owner can copy the DVD to a USB, run the ASUS Installation Wizard to install all the drivers and programs that come with an ASUS laptop with the OS installed. It does mean the owner has to have a means to convert that Driver DVD to USB or as I suggest, rename the contents "eSupport". The ASUS Download Center website can now be used as a backup to most supporting drivers and programs. The problem that I see, is that Driver DVD needs to be in a different digital format. For a couple years I've recommended using this German third-party site to download ASUS Driver DVDs in iso file format:

https://www.asustreiber.de/downloads/category/60-windows-10

The thing is, this isn't supported by ASUS and not all ASUS models are listed, nor are they updated. However, this is the way ASUS should go to replace the Driver DVDs included with the sale of their laptops without an OS.

The other guy, had no Driver DVD and ASUS had not created an ASUS Download Center website. The owner called ASUS Support and was told to use another model's website, then a day later ASUS Support emails the guy to use another website, then a day later ASUS Support emails the guy to use the first website. Because there is no ASUS Download Center website for the owner's laptop, ASUS Support is just embarrassing. The owner installs Windows but has problems with the graphics chip drivers. Where does he turn? If a Driver DVD had been included with his laptop purchase, the owner would have a place to start. A digital downloadable Driver DVD from an ASUS website would certain go a long way to fixing this problem.

OK, ASUS, if you are going to sell your laptops without an installed operating system then you need to better provide a means for the owners to successfully install the OS.

1. A dedicated ASUS Download Center website MUST be operational BEFORE sale of that laptop model. This means when you go to this website:

https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/

Then type in the owner's laptop model you are taken to a proper support website having all the current firmware, drivers, and programs for that model laptop.

2. A digital Driver DVD needs to be developed for every model laptop rather than including physical Driver DVDs with the sale of ASUS laptop for sale without an OS. The best place for location of this digital Driver DVD should be the dedicated ASUS Download Center website. These digital downloads should be in iso file format so could be made into whatever media you wish. Operation of the ASUS Installation Wizard does work well for supporting the actual driver and program installation tasks.

What do you think?
Comments anyone?
Can ASUS do better?
Suggestions?
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
This all sounds reasonable to me. Also, there's an argument against supporting exotic Linux distributions but successfully installing and configuring Windows should be a given.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

TimeLion724
Level 8
There are lots of free open-source operating systems out there that ASUS can use free of charge, and the most you'll need is a Flash Drive/USB or CD/DVD.

SteamOS

Ubuntu

Fedora

Linux Mint

Manjaro
" The speed of the fallen one does not change..."

GUIDE TO FIXING BSOD ERRORS

TimeLion724 wrote:
There are lots of free open-source operating systems out there that ASUS can use free of charge, and the most you'll need is a Flash Drive/USB or CD/DVD.

SteamOS

Ubuntu

Fedora

Linux Mint

Manjaro

I fully agree. What I'm seeing are owners purchasing ASUS laptops without OS because of money-saved. They are here on the forums trying to find answers as to why the ASUS drivers and software isn't working properly. Ask questions and an admission that the OS didn't come with the laptop purchase. These owners want a ASUS laptop with all the ASUS programs installed and functioning. I'm here to help but this situation just makes me want to scream "Why didn't purchase a fully functional laptop in the first place!"

This is when I started to realize that ASUS was causing much of the grief. Hence, my posted topic with possible solutions.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server