cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith Extreme motheboard orange LEDs and random shutdowns.

MikeBR
Level 7
Hi, the system is motherboard ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme + AMD Threadripper 2990WX + Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU.

The problems are 2 and there are:

A) I get random "shutdowns" but not really like normal shutdown, the CPU is still on, as also the fans as also the GPUs are ON but monitor connection with the PC is off and i see a blank screen and also the lights on the motherboard goes off and can't do nothing and i just have to press restart button and everything are ok again.
Shutdowns seems to occur randomly and they are not that frequent but not that rarely too. 3 days before i had 3 of them, yesterday just one when i opened PC and 2 days ago i had none just like 4 days ago. In full CPU and GPU use(100% for both, sometimes even for hours) things were very normal and this never occurred. It occurred in minimum GPU/CPU load.
Since yesterday, when i uninstalled CAM application of NZXT Kraken X62 water cooling, i had zero shutdowns but perhaps it will happen again.

B)2 of the 4 LED lights are 99% of time ON and are orange. Right now i heard a small beep and both these 2 lights are off(like normally have to be i guess). Same happened some other times, beep and then are off. But 99% of the time they are on with an orange color.
Reading the motherboard manual they are 1 and 3, i.e CPU and VGA leds. Sometimes, couldn't see a pattern when, they are off but only very few times. So what does the fact they are almost all time orange means?

Here is a picture:

Here is what is says from manual:
Q LEDs check key components (CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and booting devices) in
sequence during motherboard booting process. If an error is found, the corresponding
LED remains lit until the problem is solved. This user-friendly design provides an
intuitive way to locate the root problem within seconds.
The Q LEDs provide the most probable cause of an error code as a starting point for
troubleshooting. The actual cause may vary from case to case.
1: CPU(RED)
2: DRAM(YELLOW GREEN)
3: VGA(WHITE)
4: BOOT(YELLOW)

Mine 1 and 3 are always lit but they have orange color not the red etc it says above.

Thanks for any suggestions.
8 REPLIES 8

vfrank
Level 7
What is your bios version? My Zenith Extreme also has random shutdown problem. The mobo's led still glow but the CPU fan stop.

vfrank wrote:
What is your bios version? My Zenith Extreme also has random shutdown problem. The mobo's led still glow but the CPU fan stop.

Version 1701

I see there is a newer version 1901 2019/06/11 but it does not address any such problem:

ROG ZENITH EXTREME BIOS 1901
Improve hardware monitoring compatibility with 3rd party applications.
Fixed a boot issue when using a Quadro K6000 GPU.
"Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (ZE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.''

So others have this problem also? And it's a bios problem? Damn! ASUS should do something then.

MikeBR wrote:
Version 1701

I see there is a newer version 1901 2019/06/11 but it does not address any such problem:

ROG ZENITH EXTREME BIOS 1901
Improve hardware monitoring compatibility with 3rd party applications.
Fixed a boot issue when using a Quadro K6000 GPU.
"Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (ZE.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.''

So others have this problem also? And it's a bios problem? Damn! ASUS should do something then.

Mine is also 1701. I see people complain about memory issue of 1901 so I don't upgrade.

vfrank wrote:

If you are running windows try removing DIP5, I had the same issue and uninstalled it, I have now been 5 days without a crash.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

vfrank
Level 7
@Asus: Why many people complain about this problem? Should release a good bios version as soon as posible or I have to bring my mobo to Service Center. I regret that I didn't choose MSI meg creation.

russella
Level 7
MikeBR wrote:

Here is what is says from manual:
Q LEDs check key components (CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and booting devices) in
sequence during motherboard booting process. If an error is found, the corresponding
LED remains lit until the problem is solved. This user-friendly design provides an
intuitive way to locate the root problem within seconds.
The Q LEDs provide the most probable cause of an error code as a starting point for
troubleshooting. The actual cause may vary from case to case.
1: CPU(RED)
2: DRAM(YELLOW GREEN)
3: VGA(WHITE)
4: BOOT(YELLOW)

Mine 1 and 3 are always lit but they have orange color not the red etc it says above.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Can't help you with the random lock ups, but if you take a closer look at your motherboard you will there are two groups of 4 LEDs very close to each other. The orange LEDS in your picture are located a little above the Q LEDs and the ones you have lit merely indicate which of the major PCIE slots are occupied.

russella wrote:
Can't help you with the random lock ups, but if you take a closer look at your motherboard you will there are two groups of 4 LEDs very close to each other. The orange LEDS in your picture are located a little above the Q LEDs and the ones you have lit merely indicate which of the major PCIE slots are occupied.

Yep!

Those are the PCIe lane lights..indicating which are occupied and up and running. They should be lit when the board is up and running 100% of the time...if they are turning off when the PC is running then you are losing PCIe lanes

First thing I would do is check PCIe seating for whatever you have...make sure those lane switches are in ON position and nothing touching them

Maybe reflash BIOS BIOS flashback method

FalloutBoy
Level 7
MikeBR wrote:
Hi, the system is motherboard ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme + AMD Threadripper 2990WX + Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU.

The problems are 2 and there are:

A) I get random "shutdowns" but not really like normal shutdown, the CPU is still on, as also the fans as also the GPUs are ON but monitor connection with the PC is off and i see a blank screen and also the lights on the motherboard goes off and can't do nothing and i just have to press restart button and everything are ok again.
S

ASUS Support just got me to download another copy of the AI Suite 3.6 package - different location from the Rog Zenith Extreme Alpha download section, I had no AISuite installed previously as I had done a fresh install of windows. Within 20 minutes of installing AISuite 3.6 BOOM! down goes the whole system.

I restarted the system went to control panel, selected Programs and Features - Clicked on AISuite 3 and waited for the uninstaller to start - when it does it comes up with a window - make sure that everything has no ticks in it except Dual Intelligent Processors 5 and let the uninstaller continue. Since I have done this - no more crashes. I vented blue bloody murder at ASUS Support.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha