cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2080 Ti Strix - perf mode fans not always spinning

Saintfurion
Level 7
Hey all, just picked up a new Strix 2080 Ti. I thought that when the bios switch was in default/performance mode, that the fans were always supposed to spin? I've noticed on more than one occasion now that even in performance mode, the fans do not spin at idle. Fortunately, they do spin up once the 55 degree threshold is surpassed. With GPUtweak I do see a "0 Db" option but only when the bios is in quiet mode, not performance. I had toggled back and forth to check both modes out, do you think the fan curve was messed with somehow? Or is there a bigger issue with the card? I just want piece of mind that the fans will spin with appropriate LOL.
4 REPLIES 4

SDEagle
Level 7
This does not look like an issue. In fact, it seems like fans not spinning in the idle mode and spinning as soon as it hits 55 degree are actually features.

My GTX 1080 does the same. They don't spin in the idle mode thus saving the power as well as the durability of the fans. You can create your own such fan profiles using MSI Afterburner which I like the most than other tools.

Edit:
Off-topic, where did you buy your card from? I'm looking forward to upgrade mine. Thanks.

SDEagle wrote:
This does not look like an issue. In fact, it seems like fans not spinning in the idle mode and spinning as soon as it hits 55 degree are actually features.

My GTX 1080 does the same. They don't spin in the idle mode thus saving the power as well as the durability of the fans. You can create your own such fan profiles using MSI Afterburner which I like the most than other tools.

I think maybe I wasn't clear.

Yes, the described behavior is expected when the bios is switched to "quiet" mode. But in the default/performance mode, Asus states the fans should be running all the time.

Bought the card locally from Microcenter.

Saintfurion wrote:
But in the default/performance mode, Asus states the fans should be running all the time.

ah, didn't know that. My bad.

rckrz6
Level 7
the fans spin all the time in perfomance mode, check your temps they should be under 70c in performance mode... if there going to 75-79 then flip the switch back and forth and
restart the computer