New ROGer Array

GL704GW - bent heatsink from FACTORY

So on my GL704GW, I decided to change from the garbage factory thermal paste to something better (to help with the ridiculous thermal performance), and upon flipping over the heat sink I discover one of the arms had a dent on the underside.

My question is simple, where I can I get this replacement heatsink? I cannot find anything so far...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	81067

This is the sticker on the heatsink but I havent found anything by searching its numbers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	81068

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I would change the paste and run some tests. If it's just cosmetic and not actually impacting performance then I don't see a reason to change it.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    I would change the paste and run some tests. If it's just cosmetic and not actually impacting performance then I don't see a reason to change it.

Already done with Liquid Metal conductonaut... I can keep my CPU below 90 but my GPU hits 80 and causes throttling when playing Apex. Very annoying

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

It's going to be kinda hard to find a replacement since it's a new model. In a few months you should see them popping up on aliexpress.
    Replace the thermal paste since you're already at it. Can't really tell just by looking at the picture but the heat pipe is only dented or pinched? If it's only a dent I don't think it would affect cooling performance.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by HenryTheTech View Post
    Already done with Liquid Metal conductonaut... I can keep my CPU below 90 but my GPU hits 80 and causes throttling when playing Apex. Very annoying
    How much throttling though? With a laptop you're always going to hit either power or thermal limits due to the form factor. It's a concern if it's excessive compared to other similar examples though.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    How much throttling though? With a laptop you're always going to hit either power or thermal limits due to the form factor. It's a concern if it's excessive compared to other similar examples though.

When my GPU was hitting 80, I would get a FPS drop from 140 to 40 in Apex Legends, creating a terrible stutter situation. I have since repasted with conductonaut again, and reinstalled windows from scratch. Thus far I haven't had any throttling (max temp has remained 79). So we will see...

I also use a cooling pad and have just ordered this item https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , (basically a heat ejector for the side vent)

I feel angry though as my cooling scheme was sabotaged from the get-go with this bent heatsink vent. Whatever the effect is, it will restrict airflow and thus reduce the cooling capability to some degree, and I have no recourse to even fix at this point.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    It's going to be kinda hard to find a replacement since it's a new model. In a few months you should see them popping up on aliexpress.
    Replace the thermal paste since you're already at it. Can't really tell just by looking at the picture but the heat pipe is only dented or pinched? If it's only a dent I don't think it would affect cooling performance.
    Its best described as a pinch, not completely restrictive but no doubt impedes airflow, which given how much heat these units throw, isn't good.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Its best described as a pinch, not completely restrictive but no doubt impedes airflow, which given how much heat these units throw, isn't good.
    Air doesn't flow through those pipes. It's just a liquid vapor that travels from one end to the other when the pipe heats up and cools down, basically.
    If it's not totally pinched, it should be fine.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    Air doesn't flow through those pipes. It's just a liquid vapor that travels from one end to the other when the pipe heats up and cools down, basically.
    If it's not totally pinched, it should be fine.

Wow, interesting. Good to know. I actually think I have discovered something else which has totally cured my FPS throttling problem. I am going to continue to monitor as I play Apex as testing.

Wow, interesting. Good to know. I actually think I have discovered something else which has totally cured my FPS throttling problem. I am going to continue to monitor as I play Apex as testing.
    it would be helpful if you share it with us, thanks.