cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi SLOW boot times and boot

ctank
Level 8
Hello.

I have Hero + Ryzen 3900x, and I have unbelievable bad boot times. I cant get into Windows with restarting in under 50 seconds! I have tryed propably all choices from BIOS (702, newest) and usiing some combinations I get to like 48 seconds, sometimes(sometimes rarely when disabling ROG logo, it actually waits only that 1 second before proceeding). First It loads up the ROG logo 15 secs where you can press DEL for BIOS, after it loads ROG logo again and in while windows starts to load. The actual Windows load time is ok from that point.

As if it had trouble reading the Bios. Also, ALWAYS when I actually go to BIOS, it takes about 20 seconds(!). And sometimes BIOS bugges so, that theres up to 2 second delay on cursor changing place and the scroll laggs out too.

I have 2 nvme drives, 1 ssd, 2 HDD:s and LOT of usb:s connected. Disconnecting them doesnt seem to affect on anything though With same gear I had like 16 second boot times with my previous Gigabyte board with Intel. Tried with disabling CSM and all the other crap you can dig from interwebs and common sense.

One thing came to mind, that it might train the memory that time (still going to bios is super slow). Apparently there is no option to customize dram training routines in Crosshair, like that no need to train after every boot?

The machine otherwise is working very well and stable.
5 REPLIES 5

scarp
Level 8
I have the exact same issue. Same board and CPU, and much slower booting times than my old laptop.
For comparison, checking the boot time in task manager, my laptop (7700HQ on a H170 chipset) has a 4.5 second Last BIOS time, for my new PC it's 24.8 seconds.

scarp wrote:
I have the exact same issue. Same board and CPU, and much slower booting times than my old laptop.
For comparison, checking the boot time in task manager, my laptop (7700HQ on a H170 chipset) has a 4.5 second Last BIOS time, for my new PC it's 24.8 seconds.

Yea this is not acceptable ESPECIALLY for over 500 Euros (In EU) board, which is ment to overclocking and boot times and BIOS working is priority for that.

Slow as before. Faster when the login picture is turned off, but still unacceptable slow boot. And going to BIOS. FIX PLEASE.

Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it. A Windows DVD won't work unless you've created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives. Typically you don't put anything on SATA port 1 as this is now reserved for the NVME drive and may cause a conflict (so don't use it unless you have no choice).

Feel free to try windows reset, taking note of procedure given, however I've not personally seen this work unless the boot drive was already fast and didn't have the issue you have (your mileage may vary if you try something else).

Hope you find this of help 😉

Not that this help either of you but my computer boots windows stock 16-18 seconds. I have given you most likely cause for your issue above and this problem is NOT a bios issue.

RedSector73 wrote:
Here is the procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it. A Windows DVD won't work unless you've created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives. Typically you don't put anything on SATA port 1 as this is now reserved for the NVME drive and may cause a conflict (so don't use it unless you have no choice).

Feel free to try windows reset, taking note of procedure given, however I've not personally seen this work unless the boot drive was already fast and didn't have the issue you have (your mileage may vary if you try something else).

Hope you find this of help 😉

Not that this help either of you but my computer boots windows stock 16-18 seconds. I have given you most likely cause for your issue above and this problem is NOT a bios issue.

i'm curious if this worked. i have the same slow boot issue, but i don't want to reinstall windows to fix it. is there a solution that skips windows install?