cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme Omega Memory Overclocking

gridironcpj
Level 9
I've been meaning to make this thread for a while, which is with regards to memory overclocking on the Rampage VI Extreme Omega. Basically, I have found it to be a bit of a pain getting 4000MHz stable, but I have managed it and with a few caveats. I've attached an image of my timings and system specs for reference, along with validation of stability.

So I had to actually manually tune the ODT values to get this stable, as the BIOS auto settings were not sufficient. The BIOS also does not show the ODT values under auto, so it required a lot of trial and error. It would be nice if the BIOS actually showed the values under auto, since I was told it can be useful applying values that the BIOS would automatically apply at lower memory frequencies.

The RTL/IOLs drift a little bit from one boot to another. Sometimes the RTLs are aligned 59-59-59-59, other times I'll get 59-59-61-59. Usually this is not an issue, although a few times I've had games crash randomly, then ran a memory stability test to get an error rather early. Other times, I can go 10,000%+ coverage in Ramest. And yes, I have confirmed stability through HCI and GSAT. Some boots are rock solid, others are not.

Another thing I noticed is that while conducting a few gaming benchmarks, I would get a complete system lock sometimes if my GPU OC was unstable for a run. Normally the application should crash and I should not have to shut down the system. With my 3800 CL15 profile, this is not the case at all, as only the application crashes. So there is certainly some instability with my memory, despite passing all of these stress tests on "most boots."

I was talking with a few folks in a Discord and they seem to think it's really an issue with the BIOS. I know a lot of people who have had trouble with 4000+MHz on this board and the original Extreme, yet they could manage 3800 CL14/CL15 without issue. Those I have spoken with who have the issues also have the Trident Z RGB kits, which have a different PCB than the non-RGB kits. So there may be an issue there, although I really do think some of the BIOS auto settings could be to blame at 4000MHz or beyond. I manually tune all primary, secondary, and tertiary timings. The fact that I had to tune the ODT values seems to be an indicator that perhaps the BIOS is settings those incorrectly in my case.

On a last note, I can't even boot at 4200MHz, regardless of voltages and regardless of how much I loosen the timings. Considering I can boot this kit at 4000 CL17 at 1.35V, this seems a bit strange. Again, maybe the BIOS doesn't know what to do with this particular kit (Trident Z RGB 3600 CL16)?

I just felt like sharing my experiences with this board regarding memory overclocking. I am also hoping that some of these less common settings to tweak (like ODT values) are set more accordingly with auto with future BIOS updates, although I don't think it's likely given that this is a board not many people own and not a priority by Asus.
3 REPLIES 3

JuSiZ1
Level 10
Do you test those new bios?

JuSiZ1 wrote:
Do you test those new bios?

Yeah I am now on the latest BIOS and the same issues are present. It's hard to say what the issue really is. I ran this kit on a friend's system (2 dimms, mainstream Intel) and it booted 4200MHz at 1.45V without issue. I really do think the BIOS is to blame with this board. You can't even manually set the RTL/IOLs without triggering a loop and eventual failure to post (this is setting them to what the BIOS chooses anyways). It all could boil down to a signal integrity issue, which manually setting the ODT values can help, but there are more pieces to the puzzle.

vmanuelgm
Level 11
I have similar feelings about memory oc in this Omega, and after trying several configs, I found the stability issue is most of the times caused by RTL's and IOL's autoconfig. The board will work better with some of them. For example in my pc at 4000 the best RTL IOL's config is 59-61-59-59 and 8-8-8-6. Sometimes it will boot with 59-61-59-61 8-8-8-8 (which seems more proportional) what brings some errors in HCI or GSAT.

Right now I fixed RTL Init and set up Training to smart and always booting with the first ones.
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED