cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EZ Update Problem

Super_Gnome
Level 11
I keep getting messages from EZ Update saying to update the chipset driver. I proceed and all seems well and the update finishes. Then just to check that it has updated because I've already done this a few times in recent days, I check for updates using AI Suite III and EZ update. It then says I need the very same driver (I think) which I just updated five minutes ago. I then update again, and repeat and it says to update again. Then again, and again and again...

So does the system need an update and is not getting it? Or is the software just having a laugh at my expense? Or am I having de ja vu all over again or what? Help someone.

To further add to the drama, I've also manually updated from the motherboard's support page, which worked, but I still get the same thing from EZ Update--the system apparently needs an update. I've also tried to figure out what version is installed using EZ Update, but it is impossible to see the whole number and no part of it matches the number on the Support page. So there is always going to the Device Manager in Windows, but there is a long list of chipset components there, and which is which--well, hey... I'm not used to such simplicity (this is "EZ" remember) made needlessly complex by it all. Oh, the irony--EZ Update... Try "EZ in your Dreams Update."

To make a long story short... Arg.

Edit: Despite repeated downloads of this fabled "Chipset Driver," which appears to download and install problem free, I am still getting daily notifications that I need a "Chipset Driver." I am ignoring the notification now, but wonder how long this is going to persist, and how I will know when there really is a new update. Sheesh.
11 REPLIES 11

katlani
Level 9
The EZ Update Utility is pretty much broken from day 1, as for some it finds ghost updates while for others (like me) it never found any update on any motherboard i have ever owned.
Kinda sad when you think about it, as i wish this utility would actually make our life much easier (desktop users).

On the lastest AI Suite III v3.00.52, there was an EZ Update Utility version update to v3.0.0.9 though for some reason it was removed from ASUS (perhaps going to be reposted later).
I managed to install it before it has been removed but i'm doubtful it will remove any phantom updates for users experiencing it.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
I thought Asus was a good brand. This is my second ROG motherboard. The first still runs well, so I am happy with the hardware... But the software... For my first motherboard, a Rampage III Black Edition, I switched over to Windows 10 and lost use of AI Suite, so tweaking the system fans is something of a headache now, compared to relative ease using AI Suite. I've also tried some free third party software, SpeedFan, but that didn't work so well and had the fans working at one speed. The BIOS options don't make much logical sense after all kinds of tweaking, and the auto settings don't seem to keep the North and South bridge temperatures at ideal low temperatures, even at idle--although they are not bad--but much higher versus my new motherboard. Anyhow, I digress, and this is not a rant so much as a wondering out loud process regarding whether other good quality hardware makers also feature dodgy software.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Just manually install chipset... drivers.

If you use easy update to do bios updates download the bios first and point easy update to it
Rename it accordingly for your mother board first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Just manually install chipset... drivers.

If you use easy update to do bios updates download the bios first and point easy update to it
Rename it accordingly for your mother board first.

Oh, I've done that--manually downloaded, extracted and installed it, that is. But I still keep getting notifications that I need to update the driver. I've downloaded said driver both using EZ update and from the motherboard's product page now repeatedly. Following both downloads, I still keep getting notifications from EZ Update that the system still apparently needs said driver.

Hmm... Renaming it is something I haven't done though, but I don't know what to name it (I've done a BIOS reinstall/flash to a newer version and renamed the file, etc. no problemo). I'd also like to know how the software works in the first place, because if I do rename this driver update, then will I get the next update when needed--assuming there is one. And will EZ Upadate just assume I don't have the needed update if the update is renamed? And this is not to make this more complicated than it should be... Perhaps the name "EZ Update" needs to be renamed too--to "COMPLICATED Update" Lol. Anyhow thanks. I'll see if I can figure out something... 😮 Or rather I will keep ignoring the notification and rechecking the date for the latest chipset driver on the mo bo's support page.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I think that the servers need to be restarted since updates are there, but are not reading. happens also on the crate. i recommend use website help desk.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Hello

I`ve got the same problem. EZ Update tells me to update Aquantia Lan Driver from 2.1.5.0 to 2.1.5.0.
I remember i have this EZ Problemes, to update driver their are already up to date, since over 10 Years now.
But now with Windows 10 i get the massage in the notifications task and its pesky (sucks).

I have the Maximus XI Forumal, Win10 64Bit everything is up to date.
Please Asus fix your Software, its shaming! (About Aura and Hue i write in a other thread)

Thanks from Germany

Excrucio

Excrucio wrote:
Hello

I`ve got the same problem. EZ Update tells me to update Aquantia Lan Driver from 2.1.5.0 to 2.1.5.0.
I remember i have this EZ Problemes, to update driver their are already up to date, since over 10 Years now.
But now with Windows 10 i get the massage in the notifications task and its pesky (sucks).

I have the Maximus XI Forumal, Win10 64Bit everything is up to date.
Please Asus fix your Software, its shaming! (About Aura and Hue i write in a other thread)

Thanks from Germany

Excrucio

Hi Excrucio, I've had my system off for a few days while I'm waiting for some new graphics cards, and while trying to sort out why my other ROG motherboard is giving me a message: New CPU Installed! Please enter Setup to configure your system. Chassis Intruded ! Fatal Error... System Halted.

Anyhow, that is beside the point. I started the system yesterday: and with the EZ Update, the system is still having the problem. EZ Update once again prompted me to update the chipset driver. The motherboard is an ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega motherboard. Honestly, I am thinking of simply uninstalling it altogether.

You say you are getting the notification now in your WIndows tray. Huh. I will watch for that on my system. Is the notification from Windows?

Hopefully there is some solution--although my experience with ROG is they rarely fix the software, and if they do, it takes forever--and then there is some new problem. I am also having a new problem with AI Suite, so am thinking of uninstalling it--in this case the fans are not allowing a change of speed from "Turbo" to "Standard." I have already uninstalled GameFirstV, and Armory Crate, because both have problems, and I am now wondering if this software is all just marketing bloatware, including EZ Update. I do find GPU Tweak II to be very useful, admittedly--and for now it seems to work well. But what is up with Asus software, huh? You'd think since they have already written and put money into it they would update it to satisfy current and future customers, so these people don't simply go with another maker next time around.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
It's creation was a way for novice to update bios not all drivers
Obviously chipset... is an easy update to do manually.
Best to download which ever driver in advance and extract it and point easy update to it/ without an internet connection.

Some people get lazy and use it to adjust fans not sure anyone uses it to actually oc if they do they're crazy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

xyzbird
Level 8
Latest EZ Update 3.00.11 doesn't work either. Best to set update schedule to None in the EZ icon under the bottom right hat to stop it. You could even go to Intel for their Driver & Support Assistant but the bit for the Chipset is a bit vague - as others have suggested, manually update the drivers.

If you want current EZ Update to be part of AI Suite 3.00.52, copy into the software and delete previous. Uninstall AI Suite (use AI cleaner?) and reinstall edited version. Got to admit I only use AI Suite for standard fan setting and never do any other fiddling.