cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS FX753VD doesn't have an optical drive - wrong info in the specs

driv4r
Level 7
Hello ASUS world, this is my first post here (it took a few days to get my account activated)

So, I recently ordered the FX753VD-GC171T but when I opened the box and checked it out I found out to my disappointment that it doesn't actually have an optical drive (it has some kinda placeholder instead of it, not sure why), though in the FX753VD specs on ASUS site it clearly states that it has one! Obviously I trusted the official site, so I feel deceived to say the least, though it's probably just a mistake on the website and not intentional lying. It seems that actually some versions of FX753VD have optical drive while others don't but there is no info about that in the specs.

I contacted ASUS and then the local service center to find out if it's possible to install an optical drive on it etc. It came out that it is but it would cost altogether €102, which is ridiculous as the laptop was supposed to have a DVD drive anyway and it's not my fault. Well, I shouldn't have trusted the info on ASUS site but who knew... Very unfair.

Do you have any suggestions what should I do? I could still return the laptop now but I am not sure about it... Also, why would you put a placeholder in a laptop that has space for a drive? :confused:
4 REPLIES 4

splinter62284
Level 7
When you look at specification, you can see many variants of screen, ram, ssd, hdd etc. Obviously you can't have 2 CPUs, but that's what u can choose.
You are right, if something can be added for extra $, there should be a (optional) near its name, but i can't see it in your case. There's a placeholder so you can pay a bit less if you dont need an optical drive. I think you can buy one on your own and just add it, or refund and buy other laptop with optical drive installed.

Well, in my case there are no options under Optical drive in specs, it clearly says 'Super-Multi DVD', so I didn't expect it to be optional, who would (?)
The thing with buying an optical drive on my own is that I need all the brackets, connection cable, screws etc. as well, so it would actually be even more expensive this way than letting the service center order the parts and install it, I already did some research on prices...

driv4r wrote:
Well, in my case there are no options under Optical drive in specs, it clearly says 'Super-Multi DVD', so I didn't expect it to be optional, who would (?)
The thing with buying an optical drive on my own is that I need all the brackets, connection cable, screws etc. as well, so it would actually be even more expensive this way than letting the service center order the parts and install it, I already did some research on prices...

Yea that sucks, it's not "with or without price is the same" so Asus should inform that optical drive is optional.
I didn't check prices or if all things you need to install a drive are with drive itself, i just knew it was possible, but I don't know it would cost more.
So you have 2 options if you really need an optical drive, refund and buy another laptop with optical drive (better ask before you order especially if you choose asus again) or just pay asus to install it on your current laptop.
I don't know your budget or your need so I don't know what would be better for you.

It does suck indeed.

So, anyone has any other solutions, from ASUS maybe?