cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RoG GL703GE Battery Charging Issues

ah1cm
Level 7
Hello,

My girlfriend recently purchased a GL703GE. For the past month or so, the battery does not charge above 31%. If she discharges the battery completely, it will charge to 84% or so, but that seems to be largely illusionary as the battery will sometimes catastrophically discharge to 0% and cause the computer to shutdown when not plugged in. When the laptop is plugged in, it says "Plugged in, Not Charging" in the battery status area, and the little red battery light blinks repeatedly.

She has asked me to help with this problem since I'm a bit more tech savvy than she is and have more time to mess with it. Since the battery is internal and non-removable without removing the bottom of the case, I have not tried removing it or swapping it. So far I have tried 1) updating the battery detection drivers, 2) downloading ASUS's battery app and changing the battery power mode, 3) holding the I/O switch for 60 seconds to do a hard reset of the computer (this one works, but only for a few hours), 4) updating the BIOS to the latest version (this one worked for a whole day, but the problem reoccurred.

Given that the battery seems to be functioning when it is allowed to properly charge, my guess is this might be a driver or software issue apart from the BIOS, or not corrected in the most recent BIOS update. However, I am not sure, and since it seems a great deal of ASUS laptops the whole way back to the early 2010s have this problem, I have found a plethora of information online that is not relevant to her computer and does not seem to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Her next step will be to contact the warranty center, but from what I've read around here, that doesn't really seem to fix anything and may cause additional headaches.
1 REPLY 1

GeoBRB
Level 10
ah1cm wrote:
Hello,

My girlfriend recently purchased a GL703GE. For the past month or so, the battery does not charge above 31%. If she discharges the battery completely, it will charge to 84% or so, but that seems to be largely illusionary as the battery will sometimes catastrophically discharge to 0% and cause the computer to shutdown when not plugged in. When the laptop is plugged in, it says "Plugged in, Not Charging" in the battery status area, and the little red battery light blinks repeatedly.

She has asked me to help with this problem since I'm a bit more tech savvy than she is and have more time to mess with it. Since the battery is internal and non-removable without removing the bottom of the case, I have not tried removing it or swapping it. So far I have tried 1) updating the battery detection drivers, 2) downloading ASUS's battery app and changing the battery power mode, 3) holding the I/O switch for 60 seconds to do a hard reset of the computer (this one works, but only for a few hours), 4) updating the BIOS to the latest version (this one worked for a whole day, but the problem reoccurred.

Given that the battery seems to be functioning when it is allowed to properly charge, my guess is this might be a driver or software issue apart from the BIOS, or not corrected in the most recent BIOS update. However, I am not sure, and since it seems a great deal of ASUS laptops the whole way back to the early 2010s have this problem, I have found a plethora of information online that is not relevant to her computer and does not seem to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Her next step will be to contact the warranty center, but from what I've read around here, that doesn't really seem to fix anything and may cause additional headaches.

I had the same issue, after my motherboard has been dead, then has been changed in the warranty with another bad motherboard. Plugged in, Not Charging + frames drops in all games. Without AC Charger connected, the laptop working fine. No frames drops. The who play games with battery only when no charging anymore.... 😞
Send it to the service again (in warranty) and now I have another new motherboard (possible new revision) + a new battery.

So I think you must change the battery first or both. Mobo + Battery.

My laptop is GL703GM 😉