cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus B450-i please fix DRAM Boot Voltage

magnusr
Level 7
Upgraded my b450-i to bios 2406. Put in a ryzen 3600 and it works fine. I have trident z 3600MHz CL16memory sticks.

If I set it to DOCP and reboot nothing. Have to clear cmos.
If I set it to DOCP and 3200 works fine. Then I can reboot and set 3600 and it wil work fine. It also works during reboot.
However if I do a shutdown it wont start again. Then I have to clear CMOS and do it all over.

I have also tried setting all memory settings manually and DRAM voltage 1.36 instead of 1.35. Also works fine if I start with 3200 reboot and the change it to 3600. This will also work fine until the next cold boot / shutdown.

Now I have just left it at 3200MHz CL16.

There is no option for DRAM BOOT Voltage by itself on the B450-i. And its a real hassle to reset cmos on this board in an itx build. Almost impossible to reach the jumpers.
CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THE DRAM BOOT VOLTAGE! I am pretty sure its using only 1.2V during cold boot startup.

My other system who uses a CH8 and 3900x works fine by the way. No such problems there.

I guess the old systems like the B450 is not getting the same attension atm.
5 REPLIES 5

ALB92
Level 8
magnusr wrote:
Upgraded my b450-i to bios 2406. Put in a ryzen 3600 and it works fine. I have trident z 3600MHz CL16memory sticks.

First of all a bit off topic but i have the same board , i have not updated mine yet since i don't have a 3000 series CPU , so considering you have updated yours could you please check if PCIe 4.0 is enabled on 2406 ?

magnusr wrote:
I have also tried setting all memory settings manually and DRAM voltage 1.36 instead of 1.35. Also works fine if I start with 3200 reboot and the change it to 3600. This will also work fine until the next cold boot / shutdown.Now I have just left it at 3200MHz CL16.There is no option for DRAM BOOT Voltage by itself on the B450-i. And its a real hassle to reset cmos on this board in an itx build. Almost impossible to reach the jumpers.
CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THE DRAM BOOT VOLTAGE! I am pretty sure its using only 1.2V during cold boot startup.

Are you sure your system is stable at 3600 Mhz/timings you have set at 1.35/1.36 Vmem , in other words have you stress tested your system at those settings ?

Im asking because sometimes you can boot at some frequencies /timings but since the system is unstable the next time you try to boot it won't so you have to clear CMOS etc etc ! As far as i know if you set manualy Vmem at 1.35/1.36 that is the value the system will use to boot up there isn't such a thing as boot voltage ( again assuming you set the value in override/manual mode ) so if anything else that indicates a stability issue . Hope that helps .

Tested stable with HCI memtest. It will work like this until the next cold boot/shutdown.

I'm almost suire it's trying to boot with vdim 1.2 and not the 1.36 i put in. But this board does not let me set DRAM boot voltage manually to override.

ALB92 wrote:
First of all a bit off topic but i have the same board , i have not updated mine yet since i don't have a 3000 series CPU , so considering you have updated yours could you please check if PCIe 4.0 is enabled on 2406 ?

Are you sure your system is stable at 3600 Mhz/timings you have set at 1.35/1.36 Vmem , in other words have you stress tested your system at those settings ?

Im asking because sometimes you can boot at some frequencies /timings but since the system is unstable the next time you try to boot it won't so you have to clear CMOS etc etc ! As far as i know if you set manualy Vmem at 1.35/1.36 that is the value the system will use to boot up there isn't such a thing as boot voltage ( again assuming you set the value in override/manual mode ) so if anything else that indicates a stability issue . Hope that helps .

magnusr wrote:
Tested stable with HCI memtest. It will work like this until the next cold boot/shutdown.

I'm almost suire it's trying to boot with vdim 1.2 and not the 1.36 i put in. But this board does not let me set DRAM boot voltage manually to override.

That's weird . The thing is when you set the Vmem value manually ( in this case 1.36V ) that is considered as override so that should be your new ''boot'' voltage , there isn't a boot voltage value option per say , so the only possible explanation i see here is that BIOS doesn't save your settings for some reason ( bug ) hence why in the next cold boot it will set Vmem at 1.2V BUT if that was the case then it wouldn't save your clock and timings settings either .

Maybe you could try a bit less agressive clocks ( 3400 ) with 1.36V and see if it boots normaly and if it saved 1.36V ? If it does boot and saved 1.36V then raise memory clock to 3600 with loose timings repeat the process and go from there .

Can anyone running ryzen 3000 with a b450-f or b450-i see if they can enter a dram voltage higher than 1.35v? The max dram voltage I can set is 1.35v anything higher an nothing changes.

I Don't think vmem boot voltage is the problem think its Bios and 3000cpu's
Crosshair Vii hero x470 has Boot voltage setting...
But think setting Vmem sets it to...
Get a volt meter and test it...lol
I have problems with 3000cpus on my Vii hero, That i didn't with 2700x...
My 2700x Boots 64gigs mem at stock 1.2 no Problems and tested on auto it runs at 1.16volts
So think they need Bios Fixes for AMD x350 x370 x450 x470 boards
Stock setting are fine... But overclocking is a real pain...