cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get full ram speeds, can't tell what's wrong

BitLink
Level 7
So I recently upgraded everything except my cpu about 2 weeks ago, and of course that means debugging for a year or so.

I'll get right to the meat of the problem; my RAM isn't running at full speed and I don't know what's causing it. Why I'm asking here? Cause I have an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII mobo, and it might be the issue...maybe. This is the full build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pvm7kd

Now, the RAM is 4x16gb of DDR4 3600MHz, however in BIOS, it says my ram is at 2133MHz. I checked in Corsair iCue to double check, and it says 1065MHz! To see if it was just due to not being fully needed, I ran MHW, and there wasn't any change whatsoever.

So far, I 've tried using the BIOS to make it run the RAM at 3600, and it never makes it past post. It boots the BIOS back up in safe mode, and says it couldn't make it past post due to system instability. I tried increasing the voltage up to 1.4 watts, and that did nothing. I tried lowering the RAM tweaking to 3000MHz, and nothing. I tried using the smart tweaker, and it barely increased anything on the RAM, and still went into safe mode cause muh instability. I've also tried moving the RAM around, and nothing.

I'm going to contact Corsair and ask them about the Ram, and also try and see what else I can do, but I'm really tired of having things not work properly and want to fix this as fast as possible!
11 REPLIES 11

ALB92
Level 8
BitLink wrote:
So I recently upgraded everything except my cpu about 2 weeks ago, and of course that means debugging for a year or so.

I'll get right to the meat of the problem; my RAM isn't running at full speed and I don't know what's causing it. Why I'm asking here? Cause I have an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII mobo, and it might be the issue...maybe. This is the full build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pvm7kd

Now, the RAM is 4x16gb of DDR4 3600MHz, however in BIOS, it says my ram is at 2133MHz. I checked in Corsair iCue to double check, and it says 1065MHz! To see if it was just due to not being fully needed, I ran MHW, and there wasn't any change whatsoever.

So far, I 've tried using the BIOS to make it run the RAM at 3600, and it never makes it past post. It boots the BIOS back up in safe mode, and says it couldn't make it past post due to system instability. I tried increasing the voltage up to 1.4 watts, and that did nothing. I tried lowering the RAM tweaking to 3000MHz, and nothing. I tried using the smart tweaker, and it barely increased anything on the RAM, and still went into safe mode cause muh instability. I've also tried moving the RAM around, and nothing.

I'm going to contact Corsair and ask them about the Ram, and also try and see what else I can do, but I'm really tired of having things not work properly and want to fix this as fast as possible!

It seems to me that you are quite inexperienced so here are some tips that will help you to understand what is going on :

1) No matter what speed your ram kit is rated for , stock speed for most DDR4 kits is 2133Mhz hence why unless you manualy OC your kit or enable XMP/DOCP profiles ( i would advise you to set speed and timings manually and not touch DOCP ) your ram will ran at stock speed ! Corsair iCue shows 1065Mhz because DDR stands for '' Double Data Rate'' so a kit running at 2133 is '' effectively '' running at half the rated speed !

2) Now that you know the basics lets move to the next topic . Just because you bought a kit rated for 3600Mhz it doesn't mean that your processor will be able to run at this speed and that's especialy true for Ryzen ! Indeed Ryzen memory controller on 1000 and 2000 series ( wich is responsible for RAM speed ) is pretty sensitive when it comes to RAM speed , much better on 2000 series than 1000 series but still . In general you will have hard time to achieve 3600Mhz on Zen+ ( 2000 series ) on dual channel ( 2 memory sticks ) let alone on quad channel ( 4 memory sticks ) hence why you are experiencing those instability issues !

There is no point contacting Corsair , ram must be working fine it's just that you have set your expectations too high considering you ignore the points i mentioned previously . I would advise you to watch some videos on Youtube in order to familiarize yourself with RAM overclocking ( everything above stock speed is considered OC ) on Ryzen 2000 series . You can also use this tool https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ wich will help you alot to know what RAM speed/timings you can expect from your kit in relation to your processor ( Zen+ in your case ) same here there are plenty Youtube videos that explain how to use this tool so i would advise you to watch some of them .

Hope that helps !

OnepunchGus
Level 7
What BIOS revision are you using? Have you tried using AI Autoclock tuner? And set it to "D.O.C.P Standard"? On my Ryzen 2700x build It would work great and set my ram to 3200mhz flawlessly. HOWEVER....Eversince I updated my BIOS to 2501 for my Crosshair VII Hero it could not go back to those settings, if I try my PC wouldn't post, giving my an un-documented "C5" error. Only way to fix this was to clear CMOS and stick to default settings for now.

That ram SHOULD be clockable. Try using the auto tuner I mentioned, and if you try doing it manually remember that your ram will also need more voltage sent to it. 1.35v worked for me at 3200mhz and passed all stress tests.

OnepunchGus wrote:
What BIOS revision are you using? Have you tried using AI Autoclock tuner? And set it to "D.O.C.P Standard"? On my Ryzen 2700x build It would work great and set my ram to 3200mhz flawlessly. HOWEVER....Eversince I updated my BIOS to 2501 for my Crosshair VII Hero it could not go back to those settings, if I try my PC wouldn't post, giving my an un-documented "C5" error. Only way to fix this was to clear CMOS and stick to default settings for now.

That ram SHOULD be clockable. Try using the auto tuner I mentioned, and if you try doing it manually remember that your ram will also need more voltage sent to it. 1.35v worked for me at 3200mhz and passed all stress tests.

I'm using the default bios, the updated version gave me issues with detecting my hard drive and I had to clear it. I did try using both the D.O.C.P standard, as well as the smart overclock feature, but it failed to get past post. Even manually trying to overclock has failed, although I'm not very familiar with overclocking. I did also raise the voltage to 1.4, and that still didn't work...

My Crosshair Vii Hero with 2700x and 4x 16gb 3200 sticks Maxes at 2933 Any Setting Any Voltage (Tried up to 1.5 they are B-die)...
Tried two 2700x's Same Thing... Funny thing it will run that on auto mem 1.2 volts All day long...
My Memory is the Same as Your's Just 3200mhz... Bet Yours is Samsung B-die too...

ajudxp
Level 7
BitLink wrote:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My friend can i know if you solve this issue

i have the same issue with my motherboard ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII (WIFI) When i setup my ram at the first time my asus detect the frecuency in 3200 MHZ but with the old Version Bios 0702 but when i make the update to 1201 my motherboard still not detecting my ram in 3200 MHZ just in 2133 MHZ i am trying to solve this issue with asus support but i dont know if this is a issue that have all the Asus rog crosshair viii , please let me know what do you do for solve it , i am feeling desperate because we pay a lot for this kind of motherboard , i was doing to many test from asus team support but nothing works

i give me email for some ideas that you or someone can give to me blackfireclv@gmail.com

regards

davemon50
Level 11
Let's start with the basics. Did you, or did you not, enable XMP in the BIOS? You never said. If not, then enable it first. Do not tweak your settings at first. At first simply turn on XMP and then go to the setting that sets your RAM speed and tune it back from the setting that XMP wants (usually the max, 3600 in your case), and set it to something more conservative. Try 3000 first. Boot.

And the second thing is a question: identify for us your hard drive you say won't allow POST. MGF, size, model number, type (form factor. data interface type).

Finally, in order to receive better help/input from others, you need to go to your user profile and fill out your system specs as completely as possible so we have all the information at hand without having to ask throughout the thread.
Davemon50

Retired
Not applicable
memory compatibility and Asus bios updates is not the new kid on the block
some of the kits work better with older bios versions, and some kit works better with never bios versions
judging from the many posts in this forum, users have problems with AMD platforms, even tho its mainstream memory kits many times
i see three solutions to this

1. replace the memory kit to a kit with other IC's
2. run the kit at lower speed than the rated D.O.C.P
3. grease up the elbows and go manual settings

it can however be a simple fix, just a setting or two, to get the system working @spec

Check your RAM for carbon. It might be a issue.

Retired
Not applicable
i have three Ryzen 2 series processors
2 of them will max out memory speed just above 3666mhz, but only fully stable up to 3533mhz (2400G, 2600X)
1 will not be stable above 3400mhz what so ever (2700X)

3600mhz is very optimistic, i know a few people that can run that speed fully stable, but its far from all chips out there

3200mhz should be fine for most 2 series specimens