Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    New ROGer Array

@gr8john6 It's a really interesting info indeed. I was also following UncleWeb's guidance to set equal limits for Cache and Core, but it was getting unstable over 100mV. Luckily 99.6mV appeared to be rock solid for me, but now you're teasing my curiosity further at how could I achieve more. Actually it's an UncleWeb's advice to set SST to 0 if it's not making problems, so the CPU runs always at it's highest potential and needs no time to add multipliers, which makes it respond faster to sudden load. I actually agree with that as with my CAD/CAM stuff it's always ups and downs, not a steady load like in games. So what are the separate values you've managed to achieve for UV Core and Cache. I was also always wondering, whether applying some UV on the other positions wouldn't add some benefit too?
    @Jcomper23 I would try it definitely. If your workplace is just like mine - free of hazards that anything would get sucked in, than why not.
    Last edited by AtGrigorov; 06-06-2020 at 03:56 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by AtGrigorov View Post
    @gr8john6 It's a really interesting info indeed. I was also following UncleWeb's guidance to set equal limits for Cache and Core, but it was getting unstable over 100mV. Luckily 99.6mV appeared to be rock solid for me, but now you're teasing my curiosity further at how could I achieve more. Actually it's an UncleWeb's advice to set SST to 0 if it's not making problems, so the CPU runs always at it's highest potential and needs no time to add multipliers, which makes it respond faster to sudden load. I actually agree with that as with my CAD/CAM stuff it's always ups and downs, not a steady load like in games. So what are the separate values you've managed to achieve for UV Core and Cache. I was also always wondering, whether applying some UV on the other positions wouldn't add some benefit too?
    @Jcomper23 I would try it definitely. If your workplace is just like mine - free of hazards that anything would get sucked in, than why not.
    The problem I have is my cache won't take anything beyond 80mV without TS benchmarks reporting errors. So if I wanted to push UV further I have little choice but to just rely on Core UV. After trying it out, I can comfortably set Core at around -180mV and it does show in decrease in power draw during stress test. I agree for productivity workload you would want to set EPP number to something low but I just found out Windows 10 actually sets this value if you don't fiddle with it with other means such as TS. In balanced mode with power mode in the taskbar set to balanced it sets it to 127 and best performance it sets itself to 84. For gaming anyways, I found 108ish to be the sweetspot for me. No frame dips just stable 60FPS. Of course, my CPU won't be running at 4.0GHz the whole time but I rather keep my CPU temps under 90 at all times if I can help it. I would hate to have to buy a new laptop in next year or so with all the part shortage going on. BTW, Jcomp32 has a different unit from us. It has mechanical lift built into the unit and I am not sure it would be wise to remove the thing without breaking something. Anyways, I ran few more stress tests at varying EPP numbers and anything below 64ish don't seem to make much difference at all.

New ROGer Array

I've decided to give a go to your approach and try with different values for Cache and Core and the results are quite strange.
    My Cache can not be UV any further from where it is set now at 0.0996V. BUT the Core can be undervolted limitless (or at least looks like this). After reaching (-.300)+ and noticed it makes no further difference, I've fixed it at -0.1982V. The temps are basically the same and are not changing (maybe a degree or two down, but not sure). The main new thing is that PL1 is not hit at all in CB20 (in any scenario from 0.0996V and below for the Core). Absolutely no limits or warnings in the TS Limit box. And surprisingly (for me) the scores in CB20 (and not that significant in TS) are higher (3102 in CB20). The maximum wattage is 57.3W in TSBench and 62.2W in CB20, which is also weirdly low. I can't figure out the math behind all the above. Am I assuming right, that the main UV is for the Cache and UV for Core is pointless after some value on its own which should mean it can not be UV after some point and would not accept a lower value no matter what I'm typing in FIVR?
    Ah, and also tried with TS off just for the experiment. Guess what - thermals. Lots of thermals, straight from the beginning of the test and all kind of warnings. Anyway, PL1 and PL2 hit shortly after the start. The score was anyway something like 2890.

EDIT:Adjusted Core to -0.1797 after one-two errors in a total of 5-6 TSBenchs. CB20 test after a fresh start (cool laptop) - 3119. No PL1 or PL2 throttling again. All screenshots right after CB20 test.

Edit2: No changes in games regarding performance or temp.
    Last edited by AtGrigorov; 06-06-2020 at 08:37 PM.

New ROGer Array

Amazing no power throttling achieved :)

With temps not dropping any further probably has to do with Unit no longer generating enough heat to make a difference. As far as Pwr draw, it makes sense, assuming the same current, less voltage means less power used. If you are not reaching neither PL1 or PL2 means there is no throttling at all. You unit can simply punch through workload without ever needing to pull memory controlled PL1 and PL2 limits. I am seeing a similar behavior on mine as well. With steadystate temps under control, what I am now concerned with is that PROCHOT95 tick I still get even when reported max temp is well under 95 on each thread. I am currently playing Gears Tactics and it is surprisingly demanding at certain points with graphics settings cranked up. I use Rivatuner/Afterburner to monitor the behavior of my PC when gaming and have frametime, CPU temp and GPU temp in graph format as well to see if there are any peaks but without being able to change temporal resolution, it doesn't show that unreported spikes to 95. That is one of the reasons why I am fiddling around with EPP value to keep this from happening by keeping the unit in the 70 degree zone so as to be able to avoid that. Anyways, what you have basically achieved is complete avoidance of Power LImit throttling Kudos! Do you have any CPU demanding games like AC Odyssey or others? Can you see if your PROCHOT is ever triggered after several benchmark runs to make sure both CPU and GPU are nice and hot? Oh also one last thing in your case to try would be to bring up the all core boost clock from 4.0 to higher and see if you can squeeze even more out of it. You have now entered OC by UV territory!
    PS. Where did you get Throttlestop 8.75??? Also, if you are getting errors in TS Bench, try lowering Cache instead of core, cache is much more sensitive.
    Last edited by gr8john6; 06-08-2020 at 07:05 AM.

New ROGer Array

Yes, this PROCHOT tick is really concerning. Luckily I'm not having such issue on this laptop and never had it ticked after last repasting (with TS On), but have observed such behavior on my old ASUS, which is currently tortured by my kids.
    Actually this Destiny 2 game appears to be quite demanding, no mater the settings, so I'm playing it at Ultra settings. The temps are averaging at 80 C (+/- 3 C) and maximum peaks at 86C.
    The cores can't go over 4.0 when multi threading (and it's normal). Over 4.0 MHz can be achieved only when using single threaded apps, even if there are more then one running at the same time.
    TS 8.75 was sent to me from UncleWeb, when we were discussing my BD-PROCHOT issues, which is still a thing for me, when entering any game lobby or welcome screen and not appearing in the games when an actual play is undergoing. I guess it's something to do with both CPU and GPU are using more power simultaneously.
    After lowering the Core UV to -0.180, the errors are gone (as I said in the previous post).
    Last edited by AtGrigorov; 06-08-2020 at 10:06 AM.

New ROGer Array

Just wanted to add a big Thank you @gr8john6. All your explanations and guidance was of big help to me understanding all this matter. Thanks for all your effort and perfectly written posts

New ROGer Array

I am glad it worked out and hopefully this thread will help others with similar units.

New ROGer Array

I set my Throttlestop thus:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mjgg.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	85478

Then, I had AIDA64 Extreme perform a system stability test, the cores went up to the mid 80's, on Performance mode going up to about 87. On Turbo, the temps remained around the upper 70's, periodically spiking to around 84. Tried it without turbo disabled, went up around 96, so yeah, best keep turbo disabled!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jcomper23 View Post
    I set my Throttlestop thus:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mjgg.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	85478

Then, I had AIDA64 Extreme perform a system stability test, the cores went up to the mid 80's, on Performance mode going up to about 87. On Turbo, the temps remained around the upper 70's, periodically spiking to around 84. Tried it without turbo disabled, went up around 96, so yeah, best keep turbo disabled!
    This is not the way this laptop should work with it's full potential. Why don't you try to reapply pasting.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8