Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature controlling my laptop

Jcomper23
Level 7
Okay, so, I got this laptop:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-ZEPHYRUS-S-GX701/

Now, I have Core Temp monitoring my temperatures, and I often like to play some heavy 3D games like Planet Coaster with the graphics settings cranked up. After some time playing, Core Temp reads:

Note the "(!)" by one of the cores, which Core Temp says:
(!) represents a warning notifying the user that his processor has reached a critical temperature at least once while Core Temp has been running.
This is an indication to a severe overheating issue and should be attended to as soon as possible to prevent instability and damage to components.

Now, I'd normally set Core Temp, when a core reaches, say, 175 F (79 C), to run a batch file with
powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMAX 50
powercfg.exe -setactive SCHEME_CURRENT

That did keep the temperature regulated for my last laptop, but doesn't seem to help much for my current one. What I've done now is set Armoury Crate to Windows mode, and I've so far played a fair bit in my really intense 3D games, seems to lag a bit more and take a bit longer to fully render things, but thus far the temperature has not exceeded 158 F/70 C. I'd like to set it so it can go faster, but I want to keep the temperature below 190 F/88 C, is there a good way to set the computer not to exceed that temp?
101 REPLIES 101

xeromist
First I should probably point out that everyone including the USA uses C to measure CPU temps so if you provide numbers in F you will get less help because people can't relate.

Keep in mind that modern CPUs are *designed* to boost to certain thermal thresholds and will moderate cores based on workload vs available power & cooling. So unless you are in an environment where the cooling fans are disruptive you don't need to mess with the performance profiles. The CPU will take care of itself.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Well, I have a cooling pad that I have under my laptop, though the laptop does not appear to have air intakes on the bottom so it might not help... Should I not be worried about the computer reaching 203 F/95 C...?

xeromist
95c is indeed hot and I understand your concern. However that is still within spec. Laptops are so limited on cooling that they will always run hot. A google search shows other folks with that chip seeing similar temps in the 90's even with other notebook brands.

Another thing you might try is undervolting. That might allow you to run at the same clock speeds without quite as much heat. It just depends on how good a chip you received.

Oh, and the cooler I suppose can't hurt but you're right that it will be limited without vents. It can only cool what radiates through the chassis.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I'll see how undervolting does...

Well, my laptop is up against a wall near a vent, and I can often feel the A/C blowing, so that, I'm sure, does help.

I used Throttlestop, and here is how I set it...

Now, I've been doing some rigorous 3D gaming for a couple hours with those settings, and thus far, my cores topped at 185 F/85 C, but I'll keep testing to be sure...

I tried adjusting the undervolting to -92 mv, the temperature seemed to top somewhere around 190 F/88 C - 196 F/91 C And, as luck would have it, it did its first BSOD, with the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. It did this not during a 3D game, but while the game was downloading and installing content, which seems to take up most of my CPU usage...

I've set Throttlestop according to this guide:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Lower-Temperatures-Stop-Throttling-and-Increase-Battery-Life-Th...

And set a "failsafe" profile as described. I'll see how it does...

Well, setting it like that gave me constant BSOD's, so I had to disable Throttlestop and reset its configuration! I'll have to work with it to see what I did wrong, but for now, just playing it safe with Armoury Crate set to Windows mode...

I tried to use ThrottleStop with Armoury Crate Running and got BSOD at around 120mV. I don't really have any experience dealing with 9750h but my last laptop with 6700h had no problem pushing past 150mV. It was a MSI laptop, however. My question here is whether ASUS Armoury Crate apply its own tweaking as I can see it has its own version of XTU processes running in the background. If so, what do I need to do to undervolt Strix G laptops? I heard mention of running Windows mode. Does that bypass any Armoury Crate imposed tweaks? I don't like how CPU can reach arouind 85 degree celcius in current state during gaming at all...

gr8john6 wrote:
I tried to use ThrottleStop with Armoury Crate Running and got BSOD at around 120mV. I don't really have any experience dealing with 9750h but my last laptop with 6700h had no problem pushing past 150mV. It was a MSI laptop, however. My question here is whether ASUS Armoury Crate apply its own tweaking as I can see it has its own version of XTU processes running in the background. If so, what do I need to do to undervolt Strix G laptops? I heard mention of running Windows mode. Does that bypass any Armoury Crate imposed tweaks? I don't like how CPU can reach arouind 85 degree celcius in current state during gaming at all...

I don't know what the mechanics of Armory Crate are but it's worth pointing out that voltage is *highly* CPU specific. Not just the model but machine to machine there is a lot of variance in silicon quality. So you just have to test and see what the limit is for a specific CPU. It could be more tweakable or it could be you have to leave it at stock settings to remain stable.