Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Okay, guys, has anyone used the Turbo profile on Armory Crate? Is it the same as overclocking?

ROG Enthusiast Array

If I remember correctly, turbo will OC you GPU by a bit, yes, resulting in more heat. I've yet to find a game that cannot run full HD on max settings, maybe 2020 titles at full 144 hz would be a struggle, but other than that, I usually disconnect the fan link on the profile and manually set to 100% fan speed. Not ideal due to noise, but gives me more peace of find.

Interesting read on the PL1 and PL2 limits, it got me thinking that the dynamic adjustment set up from the box is a bit too much and definitely not safe long term for the CPU to hover so close to tjmax. So I'll probalby start playing with those limits as well.

Too bad 9750h doesn't have unlocked multipliers, would have hapily lowered them for the same of thermal improvement.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jcomper23 View Post
    Okay, guys, has anyone used the Turbo profile on Armory Crate? Is it the same as overclocking?
    From what I can gather Turbo Profile allows ~45W TDP during heavy gaming wherease Performance hovers around 35W. However, this will make fans work overtime to compensate. So, i usually stick with Performance preset for games I wanna play at 60 FPS and for the ones with more FPS like First Person Shooters, I would consider using Turbo preset. Also, if you decide to use Throttlestop, pay attention IcMax settings. I noticed on Cache it defaulted to 11A? It should be 128A per HWInfo readings. If you still get those pesky EDP Other warnings. You can try setting PP0 Current limit up a bit to about 150. This eliminated 99% EDP Other warnings unless there is PL1/PL2 limit warnings. One last thing, do install RwDrv.sys by installing Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits in FIVR window. This will allow full control over PL1/PL2 limits in the system.
    Also, don't forget to use MSI afterburner to set Undervolt/OC on GPU by using OC scanner, which will usually give you about 200MHz boost across the board. Once this is done, cap the curve by setting it to about 0.9v max. This allows me to get full desktop performance 90% of the time (about 1950MHz clock speed on core), only dipping a bit when overall system gets "Hot," which really isn't but NVIDIA thinks it is... >_>;;;
    Last edited by gr8john6; 03-03-2020 at 01:14 AM. Reason: More information about GPU

New ROGer Array

gr8john6, you seem to be a real pro in this.

Do you also know:
    1. what are the differences in settings between different armory profiles: silent, performance, turbo
    2. windows profile - how does it work? Is it the only setting where Throttlestop (as a windows app) will take effect?
    3. Does Throttlestop settings override Armoury or not?

Thanks a lot!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by leonid.matisov View Post
    gr8john6, you seem to be a real pro in this.

Do you also know:
    1. what are the differences in settings between different armory profiles: silent, performance, turbo
    2. windows profile - how does it work? Is it the only setting where Throttlestop (as a windows app) will take effect?
    3. Does Throttlestop settings override Armoury or not?

Thanks a lot!
    Silent is something I use for on Battery Setting, from what I can tell it's low power mode, similar to Battery Boost in Nvidia GeForce Experience sort of.
    I wouldn't use it for gaming unless you have to stay quiet and don't mind ~30fps gaming I guess. If I do, I would use in conjunction with GFE Battery Boost Mode.
    Windows Mode is basically, Balanced Mode in windows. Armoury Crate switches Windows Power Plans for you. On Perf and Turbo, it switches to High performance Power Plan. As for Throttlestop, it works on system level so should take precedence over Armoury Crate. Armoury Crate Modes are more for CPU TDP and Fan/cooling for the system.

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by gr8john6 View Post
    From what I can gather Turbo Profile allows ~45W TDP during heavy gaming wherease Performance hovers around 35W. However, this will make fans work overtime to compensate. So, i usually stick with Performance preset for games I wanna play at 60 FPS and for the ones with more FPS like First Person Shooters, I would consider using Turbo preset. Also, if you decide to use Throttlestop, pay attention IcMax settings. I noticed on Cache it defaulted to 11A? It should be 128A per HWInfo readings. If you still get those pesky EDP Other warnings. You can try setting PP0 Current limit up a bit to about 150. This eliminated 99% EDP Other warnings unless there is PL1/PL2 limit warnings. One last thing, do install RwDrv.sys by installing Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits in FIVR window. This will allow full control over PL1/PL2 limits in the system.
    Also, don't forget to use MSI afterburner to set Undervolt/OC on GPU by using OC scanner, which will usually give you about 200MHz boost across the board. Once this is done, cap the curve by setting it to about 0.9v max. This allows me to get full desktop performance 90% of the time (about 1950MHz clock speed on core), only dipping a bit when overall system gets "Hot," which really isn't but NVIDIA thinks it is... >_>;;;
    Does MSI Afterburner not conflict with Asus' GPU clock speed shenanigans? I read somewhere in their nebulous cloud of support articles that Armoury Crate would sync up with Asus GPU Tweak II (haven't gotten around to messing with that yet) but that it might conflict with other GPU control softwares, such as MSI Afterburner. Is it better than GPU Tweak II?

New ROGer Array

Afterburner vs Gput Tweak II

Quote Originally Posted by Void_Nemesis View Post
    Does MSI Afterburner not conflict with Asus' GPU clock speed shenanigans? I read somewhere in their nebulous cloud of support articles that Armoury Crate would sync up with Asus GPU Tweak II (haven't gotten around to messing with that yet) but that it might conflict with other GPU control softwares, such as MSI Afterburner. Is it better than GPU Tweak II?
    Asus GPU Tweak II gives you access to temp limit but it is no where close to feature complete as Afterburner. For one I like Rivatuner for monitoring FPS and system resources while gaming so I can tweak things. Also, I wouldn't use GPU Tweak II and Afterburner at the same time. Armoury Crate, unless you are using Manual Settings to boost clock speed and fans, MSI Afterburner will be fine. Besides, it allows GPU undervolting via capping max voltage while boosting GPU overclocking. Just do close to max clock boost in Armoury Crate in Afterburner and cap the Voltage to about 0.9v. This will effectively give you undervolting.

New ROGer Array

After few months of use, I've noticed. two of the cores are reaching PROCHOT temps, while other are up to 20 degrees C cooler. It was strange, so decided to repaste (again) and all of a sudden - problem solved! Before it was behaving the same way as new and after I repasted it once. This time it was a bullseye. Temperature difference - not more than 10 degrees and 10 degrees lower. I'm still using Throttlestop, but the temps, even in (very) high demanding apps and games are not exceeding 89-90 degrees pick values. Undervoltage - 99.6 both on CPU Core and CPU Cashe. If i disable Throttlestop, temps are reaching thermal throttling, though much rarely and EDP Current blinking yellow on Core, GPU and RING . So - RMA and factory paste is quite bad. Repasting + Undervolting appears to be my way to solving the problem or most of it. The only strange thing is, I'm having BD PROCHOT warning on Core and GPU when playing Destiny (I'm testing it with this game) and PL1 red warning after one minute TS Bench, no matter the TPL limits. The only thing, that solves the PL1 limit is "Disable and lock TPL" in FIVR. If I check "Disable and lock TPL", make a test (no throttling) and unchecking again - the next TS Bench test shows no warning or throttling until restart.
    EDIT: All measurements made in Windows mode. In Turbo mode - 5-10 degrees lower.

- starting at 64% test.

EDIT2: In TURBO mode - no PL1 throttling. Actually - absolutely no warnings during the whole 16 Cores 1024 M TS Bench test (PL1-85/PL2-90/PP0-130, Disable and Lock TPL in FIVR - unchecked )
    Last edited by AtGrigorov; 05-02-2020 at 07:35 PM.

New ROGer Array

Your PL1 limit of 85 is actually higher than BIOS limit of 70 but your repasting seems to be doing the job. I got mine repasted shortly after purchasing this laptop at Service Center but mine is nowhere near as effective. Just for information, BIOS limits are PL1:70 PL2:90

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by gr8john6 View Post
    Your PL1 limit of 85 is actually higher than BIOS limit of 70 but your repasting seems to be doing the job. I got mine repasted shortly after purchasing this laptop at Service Center but mine is nowhere near as effective. Just for information, BIOS limits are PL1:70 PL2:90
    Thanks a lot for this info. I was really wondering what are the BIOS limits.
    I also had it repasted in RMA shortly after purchase. Than had it repasted myself as it had not sorted my issues All remained the same. A few months later (two days ago) decided to give it another try and it was a success this time. Same paste used (Arctic Silver 5), but this time I was reaaaally careful in applying and tightening (though I've done it million times on previous laptops). What took my attention and made me do it was the huge temperature differences in different cores.
    Last edited by AtGrigorov; 05-04-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast