cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix (GL503GE-EN041T) CPU Throttling issues

xmclane
Level 7
Hi Guys,
Lately I have started having cpu throttling issues with my ((GL503GE-EN041T) laptop.
After playing a game for few minutes the FPS drop drastically ( like from 100 to 30 FPS) and remain like that until I let let the CPU cool down and restart the game.

On diagonosis with Intex XTU I found that it shows Current Limit throttling, Power Limit Throttling and Thermal throttling is occuring. The CPU frequency is also reduced to 0.8 GHZ. Both CPU and GPU temp never went above 85C.
I have been using this laptop fot past 10 months without any issues and regularly kept the laptop updated (both windows and bios updates). All of a sudden throttling started occuring.
Is this some hardware issue or software issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Complete specs: ASUS ROG Strix GL503GE-EN041T 15.6-inch FHD Gaming Laptop (8th Gen Intel Core i7-8750H/8GB/1TB SSHD + 128GB SSD/Windows 10/GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Graphics
6 REPLIES 6

SulimanAF
Level 10
Use Throttlestop to undervolt (It'll help A lot with performance and thermals) The sweet spot for this particular CPU is -125 for the Core and -48 for the Cache, anything over will give you stability issues. Also, Undervolt the iGPU and Intel GPU by -50. It'll make a difference.

On the main throttlestop menu you can tick the Speedshift EPP and change the value number from 128 to 0, this will make your CPU run at maximum speed 3.9 so you'll get an amazing performance in all your activities not just gaming with high FPS, but this will also generate a little more heat. use this while it's plugged in and create another profile with the value set to 128 to use when your notebook is unplugged and running on battery to save some battery and get a decent performance. Throttlestop will switch automatically between the two profiles when you choose this option from the throttlestop's settings. Also, make sure to untick BD PROCHOT it'll remove a great deal of throttling whether it's thermal or power.

Plus, set the fans to max speed while playing if you haven't already to avoid being thermal throttled and make sure you're using the "Balanced" power plan in Windows while gaming, this will lower the possibility of getting power throttling.

* One more thing, you mentioned that the thermal issues appeared recently so it might also be dust or something blocking the fans and vents, i'd suggest cleaning it up if you can. + Check if the power adapter is working correctly because gaming on battery will cause throttling and performance issues.

Let me know how it works out for ya and good luck. 😄

SulimanAF wrote:
Use Throttlestop to undervolt (It'll help A lot with performance and thermals) The sweet spot for this particular CPU is -125 for the Core and -48 for the Cache, anything over will give you stability issues. Also, Undervolt the iGPU and Intel GPU by -50. It'll make a difference.

On the main throttlestop menu you can tick the Speedshift EPP and change the value number from 128 to 0, this will make your CPU run at maximum speed 3.9 so you'll get an amazing performance in all your activities not just gaming with high FPS, but this will also generate a little more heat. use this while it's plugged in and create another profile with the value set to 128 to use when your notebook is unplugged and running on battery to save some battery and get a decent performance. Throttlestop will switch automatically between the two profiles when you choose this option from the throttlestop's settings. Also, make sure to untick BD PROCHOT it'll remove a great deal of throttling whether it's thermal or power.

Plus, set the fans to max speed while playing if you haven't already to avoid being thermal throttled and make sure you're using the "Balanced" power plan in Windows while gaming, this will lower the possibility of getting power throttling.

* One more thing, you mentioned that the thermal issues appeared recently so it might also be dust or something blocking the fans and vents, i'd suggest cleaning it up if you can. + Check if the power adapter is working correctly because gaming on battery will cause throttling and performance issues.

Let me know how it works out for ya and good luck. 😄

Appreciate your response friend !
Right now I have sent the laptop for Windows Reinstall and Thermal pasting.
Will try out your suggestion if the problem persists AND let you know the results.

xmclane wrote:
Appreciate your response friend !
Right now I have sent the laptop for Windows Reinstall and Thermal pasting.
Will try out your suggestion if the problem persists AND let you know the results.

Did your problem resolve??
Because I'm facing the same issue and no luck yet.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello logan4798,
Which model do you have? GL503 as well?
If you have CPU throttling due to reaching high temperature limit,
please kindly check if your BIOS and Windows are up to date,
the fan is working fine,
and may refer to the suggestion SulimanAF gave.
Thank you.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Hello logan4798,
the fan is working fine,
Thank you.

Yea I'm using gl503ge and i checked that. Windows and bios are up to date. I sent the system to service center, they did some benchmark stuff and told me that the fan is working fine. What did your service guy said?! And how did your problem got solved??

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello logan4798,
the fan is working fine,
Thank you.

So the problem got solved but it was just for some months. After 6 7 months the problems started again. Cpu temperatures are 90 to 95 degrees Celsius and I'm fine with that, i7 has limit of 105. But my gpu sits at 90 degrees and rises to 94 after 2 hours of gaming. The frequency drops to 2.2ghz. I was done with this, eventually i had to stop gaming altogether.