cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII + 2700X average idle vcore 1.4-1.45v?

igralec84
Level 7
Yesterday i upgraded from the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming that i had for over a year with a dead x16 pcie slot to the Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero.

I installed the newest 2501 BIOS and set D.O.C.P. to the 3200 CL16 profile, everything else is as it was originally. In windows i'm using the windows balanced plan and i'm getting an average vcore of around 1.41v while doing nothing, confirmed also with ryzen master. Here's a screenshot of it just sitting at desktop for 10 minutes doing nothing:

http://shrani.si/f/L/A6/4tYLpB4c/lq45wiyp0fc31.jpg

I did use the Dual Intelligent Processors 5 at first and noticed on the power saving mode, it would keep the vcore below 1v most of the time and idle temps would be 30-31°C like they were on the gigabyte board (4-5 above room temp on the custom loop), but that basically just uses the power saving plan from windows and also drops fan speeds to 140rpm etc.

Is there a bios setting i missed as surely it isn't normal to be at 1.45v all the time? Funnily enough, if i do the CPU-Z stress test, with all cores at load, vcore drops to 1.33v. CPU-Z also seems to be showing always above 1.4v even with cores at 2.2Ghz (the 5% minimum state of the power plan).

Other than that, benchmarks seem ok, can get an all core 4.3Ghz "3Dmark stable" at 1.48v using ryzen master and temps seem to be inline with what they were on the previous board.
If it matters, i bought the board used 2 months old and it had the BIOS from 26th of june, was also used with a 2700X. Should i have done a CMOS reset before upgrading BIOS or something, afaik with the new version all the setting return to default? Or is this the new BIOS causing same problems as with the ryzens 3000?

EDIT: Tried the fresh 2601 BIOS just now and can't see any difference, good or bad. Voltages still in the 1.4v 99% of the time.

EDIT 2: reinstalled chipset drivers, the ryzen balanced power plan seems to have vcore hovering around 1.35v, so the higher frequency of the cores, the lower vcore is has. If i set the processor minimum state to 5% like the windows plan has, vcore jumps to 1.40-45v again.

EDIT 3: for reference, here's a 30 min prime95 stress test on the previous board but same CPU: https://i.redd.it/hn8vrzbdg2n11.jpg
average vcore 0.1v higher during stress test than now while doing nothing? :confused:
1 REPLY 1

igralec84
Level 7
Ok i seem to have solved this issue by removing AURA (the lightingservice.exe was causing a 1-2% CPU load) and also removing the Steam client from startup, so now i have normal voltages around 0.8v with the cores at around 2ghz, 15W less power consumption when idling on desktop and idle temps have returned to 4-5°C above ambient.