cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus strix AIO solution ?

Undertoker
Level 9
Hi guys
I’m running an Asus strix 2080ti OC edition, it runs hot and I’d like to fit either a water loop or an AIO solution similar to the EVGA hybrid setup.
I wondered if perhaps Asus has any plans to market the matrix eternal loop coolers used on the matrix 2080ti at any time or if perhaps they were going to market an AIO at any time soon ?
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard
9 REPLIES 9

Undertoker
Level 9
Not the best forum response lol
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

edrickjk
Level 7
Nzxt do a bracket to use aio on a gpu it work great and will fit on a strix. Only negative is the look.aint the pretiest thing . G12 is the model and will work with most standard aio.

edrickjk wrote:
Nzxt do a bracket to use aio on a gpu it work great and will fit on a strix. Only negative is the look.aint the pretiest thing . G12 is the model and will work with most standard aio.

thank you for the reply
In the end I went with an EK WB and a 240 radiator and in honesty was really disappointed.
I refitted the waterblock several times and could not achieve any significant temperature drop over the standard Strix air cooler, I know the triple fan Strix air cooler is a really decent cooler, but I was really gutted the water block was a waste of money frankly.

Ultimately I ended up going back with the standard Strix air cooler and I actually got more benefit from changing the thermal paste from the factory rubbish Asus use to thermal grizzly kryonaut
I achieved a 10 C temperature reduction under stress test load, the card was running at 72 Deg C under a consistent load - it now ticks along at 62deg C under the same loads in the same rig and setup with only the paste changed.

I actually wouldn’t of believed it if I hadn’t of seen it with my own eyes and could not imagine that thermal paste would make that much of a difference but it has - i cannot speak highly enough of this Thermal Grizzley Kryonaut paste.
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

edrickjk
Level 7
issue is some glue arround the gpu preventing proper contact betwen the glpu and the plate ,had the same issue.Quite a frustrating issue.
https://www.ekwb.com/blog/did-you-know-compatibility-issues-with-strix-rtx-2080-ti-water-blocks/

edrickjk wrote:
issue is some glue arround the gpu preventing proper contact betwen the glpu and the plate ,had the same issue.Quite a frustrating issue.
https://www.ekwb.com/blog/did-you-know-compatibility-issues-with-strix-rtx-2080-ti-water-blocks/

thanks agian for the input bud - it is appreciated
i did do my homeowrk prior to fitting this
i saw this issue and i did remove the spacers in the water-block as per the EK instructions included with the block as my die does have the glue on it.
But it was still hovering at around 70 deg with only the gpu in the loop, and i refitted the block several times but could not get a decent reduction in temp over the air cooler to warrant the water being in it tbh, so i gave up and now have a drawer full of bloody expensive water block and pump bits.....

I honestly don't think id ever bother with water again now as i spent over 500 quid on water cooling bits and ended up with a better result from 10 quids worth of decent thermal paste in honesty....

Two things i take from this experience
1. Asus Strix triple fan cooler really is awesome
2. Their thermal paste they use is total crap frankly, or my card was poorly assembled with it at the factory perhaps (which i doubt) - so as such id urge any Asus Strix RTX 2080ti users to replace their GPU factory thermal paste with thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and see what a huge difference it really makes to temperatures.
I would not have believed it until i did it myself.
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

edrickjk
Level 7
Guess you had bad gpu block from the factory then,it suck to have to deal with bad machining from the get go. The aio route is nice in a way that its spring loaded just like a cpu ,perfect fit each time.

my ti is overclocked at 2070 and the memory at 7407 Under heavy load,my ti will never go over 45 with a custom loop . I do agree the triple fan and the heatsink on this generation is efficient ,asus did a great job .

edrickjk wrote:
Guess you had bad gpu block from the factory then,it suck to have to deal with bad machining from the get go. The aio route is nice in a way that its spring loaded just like a cpu ,perfect fit each time.

my ti is overclocked at 2070 and the memory at 7407 Under heavy load,my ti will never go over 45 with a custom loop . I do agree the triple fan and the heatsink on this generation is efficient ,asus did a great job .

I’m amazed just how good this air cooler is, I fitted three domed spindle stickers which also funnel extra air through them.

In honesty I run an nzxt x62 kraken cpu cooler and I cannot fault it and did fancy a water cooled solution for the gpu as it was peaking at 72deg C which feels warm and also heats the room up over time.*

I was toying with getting a Asus matrix platinum Rtx 2080ti a few weeks ago as I was offered one for just £1300 and that uses the infinity loop aio cooler, but after having a thorough read up of a few reviews on this card I was put off as it isn’t actually that great temp wise and actually uses the same die and pcb as the Strix, there are two VRMs that have been offset to accommodate the large cooling plate.
They are basically simply binned Strix gpu’s

Now I’ve noticed my strix hits 1950mhz much of the time with a base clock of 1665, the matrix does hit 2100, but the reality is it’s practically unnoticeable performance wise between the two and I’ve clocked mine to 1750 and 14500 on the memory and it runs fine.
I was tempted by the matrix, but decided it was just throwing money away when I’ve got the Strix anyway.

*The sad thing is I cannot even sell the waterblock on now as I wouldn’t pass it on to someone knowing it isn’t any good.
It’s annoying and an expensive let down for sure.*

I may well delve back into water cooling again one day, but it’s put me off a bit tbh, but I certainly won’t touch EK now and I went for them as they were supposed to be one of the best.

I’m a big PUBG fan and my build is housed inside an NZXT H700 PUBG case, which isn’t the biggest or greatest case for a cool temperature build, but I love the case.
Sadly it doesn’t make me a better PUBG player :)*
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

edrickjk
Level 7
wonder if it would be posible to rma the block with ekwb directly and get a replacement. Brand new one would be easy to sell then.

edrickjk wrote:
wonder if it would be posible to rma the block with ekwb directly and get a replacement. Brand new one would be easy to sell then.

possibly
i might email them and give it a try
ultimately if it was any good id still be running it and i fitted it several times
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard