cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix G G531GU underglow and Aura issues

Batreek
Level 7
Hey guys,

I am a brand new owner of a ROG Strix G laptop, and have been having so many issues with the RGB lighting, and have searched all the forums, and Googled as much as possible in an attempt to fix things.
Originally I was not a big fan of the underglow on the laptop and wanted to disable it, which apparently isn't an option, at least from within Armoury Crate. I changed it to white, and it looked great, until I put the laptop to sleep for the first time, and was SHOCKED by the obnoxious red flashing light coming from the underglow when the laptop is in sleep.
I spent the next 5 hours just searching for some way to turn the red sleep flashing off, trying through the BIOS and through the inordinate amount of Aura related software that ROG offers, from Windows 10 UWP apps to standard Windows programs.
I eventually stumbled upon this thread and read post #17, and immediately downloaded ROG Aura Core, which only detected the keyboard but I found a checkbox that said "Sleep". So i unchecked it, put the laptop to sleep, and lo an behold, the unuderglow was no longer flashing that ungodly red.
However, after waking the laptop, the underglow was still off, and to this day, it has not turned on ONCE.

I am in desperate need of help, I have even used Windows' "Reset This PC", while keeping my files function as an attempt, to no avail. And have messed with Aura so much I can no longer change the color of the keyboard, only the ROG mouse that came with the laptop, as the keyboard isn't being detected in Aura and in Armoury Crate. The keyboard is just the standard ROG red and i can change the pattern with Fn+LRArrows, but not the color. I have even downloaded the Aura SDK and was planning to make my own Aura controller, but I'm not a big fan of C++, I'm more of a C# advocate, so I didn't end up using the SDK.

Has anyone encountered this at all? I know I can just try to "Reset This PC", with deleting all of my files, like a proper format, but I don't want to get to that point, I wanna try a less intrusive solution.

Thanks in advance.
And I hope other users find this post useful, because I did not manage to find anything with this many details and particularities.
😄

Edit:
I did end up trying to format the PC entirely using Windows' "Reset This PC", still nothing, the underglow has yet to turn back on.
6 REPLIES 6

thunderpuppet
Level 8
I am having the same issues and googled for an answer so came across your thread.

Just bought the G531GT 15 inch with i7 9750H yesterday.

Same thing, the underglow was really over the top for work (as it is for work and home) and sought to find a way to turn it off, found aura core and tinkered with it till both the kb and underglow switched off then could not find a way to turn it back on.

I have used the reset this PC to no avail and still no lights. I managed to separately download Aura Sync, then re-download aura core and get the keyboard lighting working again but no underglow.

There is too many app's available to try and do the same thing and it is an absolute MESS.

NONE of the apps give finite control over whats available on these laptops - Asus need to issue a fix.

Alright, I have managed to find the fix.

Firstly make sure everything is up to date on the support site and in particular, there is a "hotfix" for the keyboard firmware. Installing it will restore the underglow - https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Strix-G/HelpDesk_Download/

Then, open Armoury crate, click the controller (game) icon and select system. Go to the lighting tab, click settings, and untick laptop light zones - this turns the underglow on or off.

Not sure why its so buried but there it is..

Oh and to change the lighting zones or the settings for lights on bootup, sleep, awake etc. It seems it needs to be plugged in to change, its shaded out when on battery.

Who knows why, and why its so convoluted but it is what it is. Asus, if you are listening - the lighting is not easy to use..

thunderpuppet wrote:
Installing it will restore the underglow - https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Str...Desk_Download/

Thank you so much man. I'm kind of ashamed of not scrolling down all the way to the bottom of the drivers and seeing that. :rolleyes:

thunderpuppet wrote:
the lighting is not easy to use..

That is an understatement. Asus really need to clarify things with Aura. It's a mess.

Thanks again man, I installed the hotfix and the disco ball is on again. 😛

All good mate, I'm learning at the same time given that I just bought the thing.

While you are at it uninstall GameFirst V, seems to be a CPU hog and pointless, a google search shows plenty complaining about it.

Download the latest installer off the same website and run it, choose uninstall to remove it.

thunderpuppet wrote:
Oh and to change the lighting zones or the settings for lights on bootup, sleep, awake etc. It seems it needs to be plugged in to change, its shaded out when on battery.

Who knows why, and why its so convoluted but it is what it is. Asus, if you are listening - the lighting is not easy to use..

dude you are an absolute saviour. I've reset this strix G15 laptop 3 times now because of the issue. First 2 times it worked, but the 3rd time today did not fix it. I completely forgot about the power cord. Thanks for reminding me about it. I unplugged the laptop and Fn + F4 (Aura) a few times and my bottom LEDs turned on again. Plugged it back in and all fixed.

ITS CAUSED BY BUGGY SOFTWARE (ARMORY CRATE AND AURA) YET CUSTOMER ALWAYS TELLS ME TO RETURN MY LAPTOP TO WHEREVER I BOUGHT IT OR FIX IT SOMEWHERE, ABSOLUTE CLOWNS. THIS STUFF BUGGIER THAN ICUE SOFTWARE MAN