ROG Junior Member Array

SSD Write Cycle question

I understand that an SSD only has so many write cycle's in it';s life. But if a drive is filled with data that rarely changes, and is only accessed but not written to or erased, would this mean that it's life is greatly extended because there are very little write cycles? And, if this is the case, would it be out of the question that an SSD lives for 5-10-15 years? Thank you.

And I guess I have to ask: Has anyone had a SSD fail because of a too many write cycles, or other death?
    Last edited by scotsue; 07-27-2019 at 09:00 PM.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

If the SSD contents are not changed then yes it will very likely last longer.

I've never had an SSD fail due to writes even after years of service so. Others I've seen people post seemed to be controller failures. So in general I wouldn't worry about write durability for the average user since it seems rare that anyone surpasses it.

Also I find it highly unlikely you'll *want* to use the same drive in 15 years. By then you'll be able to get a much faster drive with more capacity for a fraction of the price. It's also possible that systems of the future won't support the drives of today. Planning that far into the future just isn't realistic.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!