cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix B450 F failure to POST issues. Memory? Motherboard? Both?

Mudruckian
Level 7
Greetings all,

Purchased a ROG Strix B450 F MB a couple months back and installed 16Gb (2x8) G Skill Trident Z (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) memory into it. The memory is listed in the QVL. I am currently running BIOS 1201. I was running BIOS 2406 and ended up flashing back to 1201 due to the USB mouse/keyboard issues getting into the BIOS in rev. 2406.

The issue that I am having is that from time to time, it fails to POST on boot. I have been running my memory at 3200ghz using the DOCP presets. This seems to work until it fails to POST and then I have to reset everything back to default settings. At the default 2133 it seems more stable about POSTing, but it does fail from time to time at the 2133 speed as well. Once in a while, not very often at all, during the initial stages, I get the steady yellow LED indicating RAM issue as well.

When it does fail, it will power up for a second and then power cycle and start again. This repeats about 5 times and then it stops trying and I get the POST screen where it tells you that something has changed and it is resetting everything to default settings. Usually I can shut power off at the power supply, give it a few minutes, and it will POST and boot normally.

Any ideas on where to go from here to see if my memory has gone bad or if it might be an issue with the MB itself?
1 REPLY 1

DMAN999
Level 9
I have that same setup (MB, CPU, RAM and BIOS 1201).
Mine works fine But I never updated past BIOS 1201.
I would run Memtest86 with one stick of RAM installed in slot A2 and then do it again with the other stick in Slot A2.
If you get ANY errors RMA the RAM.
If you don't get any errors try clearing the CMOS (RTC) using the steps listed in the Manual and then set optimized defaults and reboot.
Then try setting the DOCP profile to 3200 MHz and see what happens.
If that is stable you can OC your CPU if you want to, but I advise you to Manually OC it if you do.