cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU got exposed to 100C - worried

Rippin_Kittin
Level 9
Hey,

My CPU (9900KF) went up to 100C for a few seconds while I was doing a real bad stress test. I immediately turned off the stress test but now I'm worried if I could have done some damage to it. I'm paranoid because I got the CPU today and might think I've already destroyed the life-span lol..

Also I would like to ask, what are the max safe temps to expose a 9900KF to during a long stress test?
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.1 GHz || MB: ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming || Cooling: Corsair Hydro 115i
GFX: 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (SLI) || RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB OC @ 3300 MHz
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG SWIFT PG279Q 165Hz || PSU: Corsair AX1600i || OS: Windows 10 Professional x64
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 FullTower - White

4 REPLIES 4

ninezerofive
Level 10
You are fine, some pre-builds even remove safe guards and run them up to 115C

Detleg
Level 12
No worries, if its just for a short time, might want to set a limit so it will cut off

Falkentyne
Level 12
CPU's are rated up to 100C, which is tjunction, although some boards set it to 95C. So running at 98 to 99C is no problem at low volts. Technically, 125C is the thermal trip (instant shutoff of all the clocks) point as that's where damage will occur.
Higher temps only become a concern if you're pouring high amounts of load voltage (and at heavy amps) at the same time.

Not a problem intel chips will thottle down to hell and run that temp all day long!
Maybe lost a little life but with good motherboard your fine...
https://youtu.be/tU9yjwMlbRI
Watch About 1:10 mark