Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by primeshooter View Post
    Thanks, do youi recon it will be fixed for my 3900x on this x570 e board so I can run it without this ever happening? I still have the RAM at 3600 and dealing with the occasional boot failure but might put it at 3000.
    Nobody knows what is stable for you.
    Remember that the setup is different for EVERYONE.
    Every CPU is different and requires different voltages to be stable.
    Every RAM stick is different, even from the same batch - some will be stable at 3600 and others not.

So find the stable BIOS for yourself and keep using it. Why would you even update all the time when you have an older CPU that does not benefit from updates anymore?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by cryonicangel View Post
    Nobody knows what is stable for you.
    Remember that the setup is different for EVERYONE.
    Every CPU is different and requires different voltages to be stable.
    Every RAM stick is different, even from the same batch - some will be stable at 3600 and others not.

So find the stable BIOS for yourself and keep using it. Why would you even update all the time when you have an older CPU that does not benefit from updates anymore?
    Okay I get that, but what I am saying is, it's not totally stable now. If I try to boot 10 times and it fails once / twice I don't really class that as stable - so hence I am thinking update when there is the next non beta bios?

New ROGer Array

Okay I get that, but what I am saying is, it's not totally stable now. If I try to boot 10 times and it fails once / twice I don't really class that as stable - so hence I am thinking update when there is the next non beta bios?
    Nobody knows.
    Because "stable" is not stable for everyone.
    You need to understand that your rig with your specific hardware can be more stable on a previous BIOS version.

This stuff got really complex over the years, so 100% stability is not guaranteed. Since the platform is constantly evolving and supporting multiple generations of CPUs, PCI-e devices and tons of other things like new functions that are limited to specific devices like SAM for AMD 6000 series GPUs only, you need to pick the BIOS that works the best for your setup.
    And this is not always the latest BIOS. Once you understand it, you will have way less trouble keeping your PC and your overclocks etc. stable (and yes, RAM XMP is technically an overclock - just validated out of the box).

New ROGer Array finnstop PC Specs
    finnstop PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Strix X570-E Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3950X
    Memory (part number)GSkill F4-3200C14-16GVK (32GB)
    Graphics Card #1Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Overclocked 8G EVO
    MonitorDell U2713HM
    Storage #1Crucial MX500
    Storage #2Crucial MX500
    CPU CoolerEVGA CLC280
    CaseFractal Define Meshify S2
    Power SupplyCorsair RM750X
    Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope RGB Mechanical
    Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
    OS Windows 10

3950x here and I would recommend @primeshooter going with BIOS ver 2606. I have never personally had any kind of problem with 2606 but have had issues (infrequent but nonetheless present) with every version of BIOS released after it.

I have never been a release date or very near release date adopter of new series/platform/architecture things because of the early teething pains that often come with them. Usually improvements with manufacturing processes, revisions, driver support, firmware, etc. improve through time often make upgrading less painful, time consuming and as mentioned above, sometimes less expensive.

Still, I feel for those who did purchase the newest CPUs early on and dealing with the issues discussed here. If I was experiencing them myself, I would be going a fair bit nuts looking for or waiting for solutions. At least there are some really fantastic people in the community willing to help and share experiences.

New ROGer Array

Nobody knows.
    Because "stable" is not stable for everyone.
    You need to understand that your rig with your specific hardware can be more stable on a previous BIOS version.

Understood. But conversely, I also have no idea that by chance a new bios might also be more stable. It's like a pic and mix, box of chocolates, never know what your gonna get thing going on here. So I could just downclock it to 3000 just now (Do you recon that will prevent the issue?) And try again with another bios at some point.

This stuff got really complex over the years, so 100% stability is not guaranteed. Since the platform is constantly evolving and supporting multiple generations of CPUs, PCI-e devices and tons of other things like new functions that are limited to specific devices like SAM for AMD 6000 series GPUs only, you need to pick the BIOS that works the best for your setup.
    And this is not always the latest BIOS. Once you understand it, you will have way less trouble keeping your PC and your overclocks etc. stable (and yes, RAM XMP is technically an overclock - just validated out of the box).
    Understood - and yeah I got the part about the XMP overclock to get 3600. Standard it is 2600 here.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by finnstop View Post
    3950x here and I would recommend @primeshooter going with BIOS ver 2606. I have never personally had any kind of problem with 2606 but have had issues (infrequent but nonetheless present) with every version of BIOS released after it.

I have never been a release date or very near release date adopter of new series/platform/architecture things because of the early teething pains that often come with them. Usually improvements with manufacturing processes, revisions, driver support, firmware, etc. improve through time often make upgrading less painful, time consuming and as mentioned above, sometimes less expensive.

Still, I feel for those who did purchase the newest CPUs early on and dealing with the issues discussed here. If I was experiencing them myself, I would be going a fair bit nuts looking for or waiting for solutions. At least there are some really fantastic people in the community willing to help and share experiences.
    Thanks for chiming in. Yeah I try to avoid this too, but I wanted a good build, I thought that a Mobo from over a year ago and a CPU from 8 months ago would have been okay though. How would I progress back to this bios version? Currently I am using 2808 10/21/2020 from the asus website.

New ROGer Array

Thanks for chiming in. Yeah I try to avoid this too, but I wanted a good build, I thought that a Mobo from over a year ago and a CPU from 8 months ago would have been okay though. How would I progress back to this bios version? Currently I am using 2808 10/21/2020 from the asus website.
    Well you got really good hardware. You just do not need to upgrade it - even tho there is a new BIOS version, it does not benefit you.

The easiest way to roll back is via the BIOS flashback - download the needed BIOS file, rename it, put it on a USB stick and use the flashback USB port on the back and the button to flash it. Careful, it will wipe all your BIOS settings and profiles.

Which one you need to pick depends on which one is stable for you.

New ROGer Array finnstop PC Specs
    finnstop PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Strix X570-E Gaming
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3950X
    Memory (part number)GSkill F4-3200C14-16GVK (32GB)
    Graphics Card #1Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super Overclocked 8G EVO
    MonitorDell U2713HM
    Storage #1Crucial MX500
    Storage #2Crucial MX500
    CPU CoolerEVGA CLC280
    CaseFractal Define Meshify S2
    Power SupplyCorsair RM750X
    Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope RGB Mechanical
    Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
    OS Windows 10

T.... I thought that a Mobo from over a year ago and a CPU from 8 months ago would have been okay though...
    I was referring to AMD 5000 series CPUs that were only quite recently released and have a good number of people frustrated at some of the later BIOS releases that were supposed to support them. I think you'll be pretty content with ver 2606 and it should play nice with your 3900 as it does my 3950. Best wishes!

New ROGer Array

Can 5900X work on 2606 bios version?

Quote Originally Posted by finnstop View Post
    I was referring to AMD 5000 series CPUs that were only quite recently released and have a good number of people frustrated at some of the later BIOS releases that were supposed to support them. I think you'll be pretty content with ver 2606 and it should play nice with your 3900 as it does my 3950. Best wishes!

Actually i have a 3900XT on 2606 BIOS with 2x16GB 3600 NEO Ram and all is Stable and ROCK SOLID.

If i buy 5900X can i work on 2606 BIOS ?

I do not want to risk my stability.

Someone use 5000 series on 2606 bios with good performance and stability?

ROG Member Array

The last stable BIOS is 2606. Any BIOS after this has issues with idle reboot where the PC will power off and back on randomly when idle. Please see my previous posts about disabling the DF-C States setting (which I haven't tested yet) which allegedly resolves this problem. The setting allows the CPU's infinity fabric to enter a low power state (or not) depending on whether its enabled or disabled.

I'm using a Ryzen 2 3600x so the later BIOS's main feature updates (CPU support, SAM etc.) do not affect me, but the AGESA updates/improvements contained within these newer BIOS's impact ALL Ryzen processors which is why I want to upgrade to the latest version.

Page 52 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast