cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX 2080TI temp question

rckrz6
Level 7
When i first got this card it was holding 64-65c in perfomance mode. The Ambient temp was abit cooler then but i always thought that was the "target" temp. I cannot get the card to run under 67-69C now even with an open case in perfomance mode. Every Review says it runs at 65C. I tried quiet mode and the results are the same i get 79C instead of the 75C they say in the reviews even with an open case. Its probably not a big deal but i checked the card for dust and made sure the fans aren't damaged, everything looks ok. Do these cards have a target FAN RPM??
OR do they have a target TEMP like AMD does and adjust fan speed to hit that target

I've always had AMD cards for the most part so i am not 100% sure how the card works for cooling
7 REPLIES 7

mdzcpa
Level 12
Ambient temperature really have an impact on cooling.

What fan profiles are you using? Have you tried a custom curve? Are all 3 fans at 100% at your max temperatures?

mdzcpa wrote:
Ambient temperature really have an impact on cooling.

What fan profiles are you using? Have you tried a custom curve? Are all 3 fans at 100% at your max temperatures?

Fans are using whatever asus factory bios settings are. I doubt they go no where near 100% the cooler is pretty beefy

rckrz6 wrote:
Fans are using whatever asus factory bios settings are

If you want to run on performance mode with ambient temps a little higher, I suggest you download GPU Tweak II from Asus and use that app to control your fans. In the app you can also set target frame rates, power, and temps.

Keep in mind that although your temps are in the 70-80c range, you are still under the default of 90c max temps. These cards run hot normally. But you could always set a target temp lower if you'd like. If you do, be sure to customize your fan curves (for more rigorous cooling) or you may lose a fair chunk of performance.

mdzcpa wrote:
If you want to run on performance mode with ambient temps a little higher, I suggest you download GPU Tweak II from Asus and use that app to control your fans. In the app you can also set target frame rates, power, and temps.

Keep in mind that although your temps are in the 70-80c range, you are still under the default of 90c max temps. These cards run hot normally. But you could always set a target temp lower if you'd like. If you do, be sure to customize your fan curves (for more rigorous cooling) or you may lose a fair chunk of performance.

Looping Heaven Benchmark now, Quiet mode is 39% 80C Closed Case
37% 75C open case with a fan (matching review sites)

i guess that answers my my question probably warmer temps, there is prob not a locked target temp i suppose

ill try perfomance mode

It sticks to 65-66c with a open case and a fan blowing, i guess the factory fan curve does not adjust for higher ambient temps very well

rckrz6 wrote:
37% 75C open case with a fan (matching review sites)

i guess that answers my my question probably warmer temps, there is prob not a locked target temp i suppose

ill try perfomance mode

It sticks to 65-66c with a open case and a fan blowing, i guess the factory fan curve does not adjust for higher ambient temps very well

The fans move only on gpu temps. The BIOS will control the fans if you do not download GPUTweak II. I believe the fans kick to 100% at 90c.

rckrz6
Level 7
37% 75C open case with a fan

rckrz6
Level 7
It seems like the fan curve is just X temp = X fan speed all predefined
The AMD cards i had would keep increasing fan speeds to meet a certain temp and hold it

I have never tried tweak , just have used msi afterburner for the overlay