cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot looping Crosshair VI Hero X370 after water exposure

MedEight
Level 7
I got a good one for you guys. Last week my heatsink exploded in my rig, coolant went every where. Before I was able to shut down my computer, there was an arc flash and it turn itself off. Pulled my my computer part, and threw everything in containers with dried rice for a little over 72 hours while I went to work to soak up the as much coolant as possible.

When I got home, I took my pc to friend of friend who is self employed computer tech contractor, who builds computers and servers for local business. Today he called said my 1080Ti is done. He tested it two other systems and it wouldn't turn on. He installed a new heat sink on my board and was able to get to boot to bios but that's it. The motherboard shows the ram and both SSD drives and the storage drive but when he exit bios, it goes into this endless bios boot. Meaning it restarts, goes to bios, then restarts, goes to bios. He didn't mention if the board was throwing in weird q-codes and I would assume if it was he would trouble shoot those codes. However he said he would call me tomorrow once he gets everything clean up and put back together for me to pick the computer up tomorrow.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have experienced this under normal circumstances with out known if the board is throwing q-code and possible fix it. As soon as I get my Rig back, I'll update the post with any q-codes I see.

The company that made the heat sink (Captain 240EX) is called GameStorm aka DeepCool, has agreed to RMA anything that was damaged. However they want to schedule shipping pick up for the damage parts to be shipped to their headquarters in China, in order to be evaluated and replaced. DeepCool has stated, if I ship them a part that is deemed to be in good working order, I'm "will be subject to pay for shipping, taxes, tariffs, duties and any other fees prior to them shipping it back." My issue with this is one it's China, two if the computer want make it past the bios, how do I know for sure if the 32GB of ram is good and my dual SDD cards are working? I don't have anything else I can just randomly throw this stuff in to check with out going out and buying another board for the computer and starting from there. My overall biggest concern was Deepcool subject to shipping line quoted above. How does one apply taxes and tariffs to something I already own?

PS. If you happen to have this heat sink or a similar model and you bought it about 2 years ago, you need to get out of your RIG immediately. Mine was still under Newegg extended warranty and I was told by NewEgg they don't carry the product any more and they had the manufacturer contact me through email.
7 REPLIES 7

bak301
Level 7
Very misleading title my friend.
You mean your AIO Water Cooler ( not 'heat sink') leak coolant and destroy everything.
This is not the board's fault, nor the heat sink on the board. This is an AIO problem.

bak301 wrote:
You mean your AIO Water Cooler ( not 'heat sink') leak coolant and destroy everything.
This is not the board's fault, nor the heat sink on the board. This is an AIO problem.

Noted. I updated the title to reflect the actual problem. Thanks
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Noted. I updated the title to reflect the actual problem. Thanks

This does not reflect my issues at all! Not even close. One would think because you are moderator, you would have more computer knowledge and reading the thread, pick a more appropriate title to fit the question concerning being stuck at bios. I realize I know nothing about computer other than watching a few youtube videos on how to build gaming PC. Maybe its my fault for stating how this issue started, but your not even close.

How about, I just take delete the thread, leave out X happen and just type help I'm stuck at Bios, I flashed bios, when I hit exit bios, my computer goes in a endless loop of loading bios and exiting. Any ideas?

I swear ASUS has the WORST support in the world! Every Manufacture that I have emailed, called, or posted thread on this issue, has been more than helpful in determining if their product was damaged or still operating with in manufacture specs. EVGA is willing to let me bring in my graphic cards to take a quick look before I ship it off. Yet Asus, want even stand by there product or give a "hey try this before you ship it off." Soon as mention CPU Cooler failure, I'm trying to determine if the board is still good, I'm stuck on bios. Asus reply is "Sorry this violates your manufacture warranty. Good luck, and thank you for contact Asus Support." You do realize either I or DeepCool will replace the board? Just saying!

MedEight wrote:
This does not reflect my issues at all! Not even close. One would think because you are moderator, you would have more computer knowledge and reading the thread, pick a more appropriate title to fit the question concerning being stuck at bios. I realize I know nothing about computer other than watching a few youtube videos on how to build gaming PC. Maybe its my fault for stating how this issue started, but your not even close.

How about, I just take delete the thread, leave out X happen and just type help I'm stuck at Bios, I flashed bios, when I hit exit bios, my computer goes in a endless loop of loading bios and exiting. Any ideas?

I swear ASUS has the WORST support in the world! Every Manufacture that I have emailed, called, or posted thread on this issue, has been more than helpful in determining if their product was damaged or still operating with in manufacture specs. EVGA is willing to let me bring in my graphic cards to take a quick look before I ship it off. Yet Asus, want even stand by there product or give a "hey try this before you ship it off." Soon as mention CPU Cooler failure, I'm trying to determine if the board is still good, I'm stuck on bios. Asus reply is "Sorry this violates your manufacture warranty. Good luck, and thank you for contact Asus Support." You do realize either I or DeepCool will replace the board? Just saying!

The original title made it sound like the board itself exploded. This would not have helped you get accurate help either. The updated title was meant to be similar to the original but reflect that your board experienced water damage rather than an internal explosion. You're complaining about a title based on the title you wrote. :confused:

Anyway, if you have a title change request just ask a moderator nicely. We're generally willing to make whatever changes you need within reason. Since you want your boot loop in the title, I'll do that. However I personally think that what you're experiencing is just a symptom of a physically damaged board. I don't think there's anything that can be done for this board at this point.

I guess you should check with your friend to make sure he tried booting with as much as possible disconnected/removed. Damaged components can prevent booting so removing anything not required to boot is an important test. My guess is that he would already know and try that though.

A couple of additional things in case there is any misunderstanding:
I'm not an ASUS employee, just a volunteer.
This is not an official support forum; it's a customer discussion forum. So assistance here will be limited to what other customers have experienced and what advice they can give. The only time I've ever experienced water damage the manufacturer's replaced the parts via RMA because they were unusable. So if after letting parts dry for a few days or drying with a hair dryer they still don't work my only suggestion is to RMA what you can.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

In my experience, you get the BIOS boot loop when the board is unable to find a valid boot device. Personally, I'd try removing the NVMe SSD, hooking up an old HDD (or SATA SSD) and trying a fresh windows install with that and see what happens.

bak301 wrote:

Really? If I want to order CPU cooler off of any Tech website under gods green earth, the component category everybody search under is "heat sink". If I where to goto the computer store and say "Hey I need the thing that cools the processor in a computer?" The guy in the store says "Heat sink?"

ow I'm stuck with a tread, zero people are willing to look because you decided to cry and report my title based on terminology. I know its not the board faults, and AIO failed between the cooper plate and the base of the pump. Its my computer moron, I not asking for AIO support. I asking for bio's support. "X" happen, I'm stuck on Bio's, any thoughts? Now the title make this entire thread worthless. Thanks!

Rewerend
Level 9
Hey, sorry again for your troubles but as I read all of your issues I guess that the bios looping is caused just by somehow damaged circuit, so your board could work on half (some circuit can be good some of them none).
If I can imagine all liquid in your rig it could do bad things, we cannot more to find more solution here, but you can try one thing which is bios update through usb stick link here:
http://https://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/
or
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013998/

With that function you can flash brand new bios even without full running pc jsut with PSU.
Rest component you can try with your friend´s pc before RMA 😉
So good luck and don´t blame ASUS board for that one it´s board´s fault.
Greetings.