cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIMM Slot B2 wont allow XMP profile to post.

Kritikill
Level 7
So I have spent the last two days trying to figure out why my new upgrades would not post when XMP or XMP2 profile was loaded.

Specs: BIOS 1105, 9700K, Z390 Gaming E, Corsair RGB Pro (32GB 2x16) 3200MHz Kit (Second Kit, I exchanged the first)

What I have found so far.

- If both A2 and B2 DIMM slots are populated the default memory profile works fine (2133Mhz); if I enable XMP or XMP2 (3200Mhz) it fails to boot no matter what.
- I have tried to manually adjust several of settings from DRAM Voltage/Timing, VCCIO, and Sys Agent voltage and nothing will work.
- If I install either stick in A2 slot, it posts find with default and both XMP profiles.

Kind of at a loss here right now. I have seen other say that a cooler block can be over tightened and cause poor connections or bent pins....but would that not just kill the DIMM Socket completely, or is there extra traces to handle the higher speeds? I will inspect the DIMM Slot tomorrow, maybe loosen the CPU block, or pull it to inspect the pins on the socket. All depends on why kind of feedback i get. Also, would A1 and B1 able to support the XMP profile to determine if the B2 slot is bad?

Any help would be great.

Edit: DIMM Slot B2 looks good, no push or bent pins. I need to verify what DRAM Freq I was capable of posting from manually changing it. I think I started to see issues around the 2800Mhz area. ** Failed Post, retried and posted to a MEMOK notification telling me to go to Bios and save settings**

Edit 2: Manual DRAM Frequency adjustments.
- 2666 Posted no problem
- 2700 Failed 1st Post, passed 2nd post and was prompted with "MemOK" save Memory settings in Bios. Saved, restarted, and posted on restart. (DRAM Voltage was 1.350)
- 2800 Failed 1st Post, Passed 2nd post and was prompted with "MemOK" save Memory settings in Bios.Did this restarted and posted on restart. BUT I saw the DRAM Voltage jump to 1.510, so I stopped till I got some more insight.
5 REPLIES 5

MeanMachine
Level 13
Your RAM are rated at 3200MHz therefore they are OC RAM. Profiles such as XMP and D.O.C.P don't work as 3200MHz is above the JDEC standard. Your Bios would set for a lower safe frequency and to reach your rated frequency you will have to test various Primary Timings and DRAM_Voltage etc.
If Bios set with default and AUTO configs don't cut the mustard then, I have found using values from Tools section>(SPD Info) in Bios or from CPUz very often do work.
The IMC is located on the chip and I have found 3200MHz (2x8) with a little tweaking is quite doable on the 9700K.
Ensure your Bios is cleared and updated.

Test each RAM slot with a single DIMM and if that module boots the system then test the other module in that slot. This way you can pretty much identify if the MOBO slot is the problem or it's a DIMM module.

You can also use Memtest86 to check for errors on each DIMM and in combo.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Kritikill
Level 7
I appreciate you reaching out, I am just not sure I have any clarity from what you have said. I understand that the XMP's are not guaranteed to work in every situation. At my experience level(low) I would have thought that I could have dialed it in using some basic changes to voltages and timings. It seems like further settings could need adjusting, and I just dont know how they affect the stability. i.e. at what point would you adjust timings?

I am also confused about the difference between standard VCCIO and SysAgent Voltages and separate BOOT Voltages that also have VCCIO and SysAgent Voltages. Could the boot voltages make a difference in getting it to post?

I have tested both sticks of RAM, one at a time, in A2 and B2. The results were as follows;
A2 - Single stick(Both), Posts with Default 2133Mhz(JEDEC) settings and XMP 1 profile
B2 - Single stick(Both), Posts with Default 2133MHz(JEDEC) setting and NOT XMP Profile
A2 and B2 Populated, Posts with Default 2133MHZ( JEDEC) setting and NOT XMP Profile. Can push to 2800MHZ, but DRAM Voltage climbs to 1.510v. Is that too high? Any more headroom?

I have seen some guys talk about bad traces or bent pins on the socket...just a lot of work to tear down my loop(Rigid) and look. So I if I go that far to look may as well exchange it. I bought from Best Buy, and they have a 15 return policy, may return the Mobo and CPU to eliminate them.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Because OC RAM come with many varying SPD (Serial Presence detect) values, there is no simple "one set off values" fits all. Much depends on the Systems hardware capability ie: PSU, CPU, Motherboard and matching RAM. By (matching RAM) I mean a kit that have been tested and listed on the MB QVL.

Ryzen is picky with RAM and it has been found that DIMMs with Samsung B-die chips at 3200MHz seem to be a sweet spot and easy to get to their rated frequency.
As with any OC task, there is a method that gets you to your goal. That being to get MAX performance yet maintain stability under load.

When Overclocking RAM it's best to start with simple Timings and at manufacturers recommended voltage. Voltages are important to maintain stability whilst keeping the voltage to safe levels. SPD values can be got from Bios or within Windows.

Once the system is stable under load at default THEN Overclocking begins. The more adept to your Bios and skills, the better the results.
Never make arbitrary Bios changes without knowing the consequence of the change. It takes time and patience and sorry for the lack of clarity however RAM Overclocking is an enthusiasts realm for those wanting MAX performance for tasks such as Video Editing or rendering large 3D files. If this is your goal then prepare for some in depth reading and lots of reboots.
VCCIO and System agent are secondary voltage considerations and usually required to maintain stability on OC RAM. The higher the capacity and frequency of your RAM then the more strain on the IMC so it's important to choose wisely and that the kit you choose is fit for purpose. RAM with JDEC values up to 2666MHz (2x8) are best for gamers and general purpose tasks. Some boards support up to 4200MHz however the CPU may not.

There are tools to help enthusiasts stabilize RAM. Thaiphoon and Ryzen RAM calculator:
Go here for info and downloads. https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-new-dram-calculator-ryzena-1-6-0-3-overclocki... and https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/
and here: http://www.softnology.biz/files.html

Sorry for any confusion.

BTW: If bent pins are found in the MB socket on Warranty return then your Warranty would be void. You would be held responsible. Best is to try and repair the bent pins yourself. 😞

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Kritikill
Level 7
I appreciate the time you have taken to help out. I exchanged the CPU and Mobo this afternoon, and have them installed. I powered up and no problems getting XMP to take. I would like to think that the CPU had a weak IMC. Guess i will never know lol.

MeanMachine
Level 13
That's good you sorted the problem Kritikill 😄
Did you get your RAM working at it's rated frequency OK?

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]