cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VII Wi-Fi Latency Issues - Audio stuttering lag and Wi-Fi dropouts

ship_rek
Level 7
TL;DR - System suffers from severe latency issues. I've done everything I can. Looking for a replacement mobo, want some recommendations and have some basic questions. What would YOU do if you were me?

Crosshair VII wi-fi
AMD Ryzen 2700x
32GB 2400 DDR4
RTX 2080
Samsung M.2 NVME
Not overclocking anything.

This was my first build in 20yrs. Wanted a high-end system to run flight simulators. Chose the CH7 because of the large number of USB ports to run all of my controllers for a complex flight sim and the fact that it has built in wi-fi. Built in Feb 19 and everything worked beautifully until about May. System has severe latency issues causing streaming video and games to have audio microstutters, crackling, and audio lag (desync with video). Wi-Fi will drop from over 100mbps down to less than 10. Everything works fine at boot and the issues begin to creep in after running for 30-60min. Rebooting will clear all issues, then the process starts again.

I have spent 3 months chasing every possible angle on this. From updating drivers and bios, to adjusting hundreds of bios and Window sys settings, to a full wipe/reinstall of Windows. I have lived on multiple forums - Tom's Hardware, Reddit, etc. and have poured through years of posts and troubleshooting suggestions. I'm frustrated and fed up and tired of chasing this. The time invested vs progress mad just isn't worth it anymore. After a lot of reading on this forum and others, I'm really thinking it's the MoBo and when I spun the wheel of fortune and picked ASUS, I picked a loser. Per LatencyMon, the process with the highest ISR execution time is Direct X. My dx has been wiped reinstalled (as it's part of the OS) , so don't know what more I can do in that direction. I

My gut says to buy an i7, mobo, and faster 3200mhz ram , mostly because I've read about all of the other issues with AMD Ryzen that don't seem to be problems with Intel cpus. AMD just feels like it's always going to be an uphill battle, even once I get these problems solved. My wallet says don't drop another $800-1000 on this though, and start replacing components one by one, starting with the mobo. But if I do this, I'm locked into AMD.

I also have another , probably unrelated issue: I have a RAID setup using AMD's bios-level RAID controller. Every once in a while, it will disappear. The bios will flipf from RAID to ACHP and the raid volume won't be seen by Windows. This freaks me out - I'm a professional photographer and all of my work is on this raid. The drives are still good and I can get it restored by reinstalling the AMD RAID driver, but my livelihood depends on this and thiis RAID needs to be rock solid.

So... My questions are:

- What is a good brand of high performance mobo to replace with? My business partner has an Asrock running a Ryzen 2700 and has none of these problems, but it was a pain to setup and the bios seems very basic and isn't user friendly. I'm thinking Gigabyte? Would like to hear opinions.

- If I swap out this mobo with another brand, can I just plug my drives in and be up and running? Pretty sure I will have to backup my RAID then rebuild it (another expense as I'll have to purchase a new drive large enough to hold the backup) but I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows and all my programs. I have a lot of customization going on that I don't want to lose.

Just to reiterate. I'm tired and frustrated and I'm at the point where I'd rather throw money at the problem than another minute of my time. Just want to get back to flying my virtual airplanes.

Thanks for reading!
5 REPLIES 5

fortiscrew
Level 7
If the motherboard is still under warranty then you need to proceed with an RMA. On the other hand, if you decide to purchase a motherboard from another company then you need not rebuild your array or reinstall your O/S. This will be possible if an AMD motherboard is purchased with the same chipset ( X370 / X470 ) as the faulty board. The only problem I see is that your O/S may have to be re-activated. I trust that all works out fine, data loss is not a nice experience especially if it is your job.

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in!

Yes, the mobo is only about 6-7 mos old at this point . I'd need to replace it either way as I can't afford the down time. That's great news concerning the swap out and no need to reinstall everything.

I had similar issues with the audio before and fixed it by lowering the VDDG voltage to 0.9v.

Otherwise, you can also try to run MSI Utility v2.

MeNot wrote:
I had similar issues with the audio before and fixed it by lowering the VDDG voltage to 0.9v.

Otherwise, you can also try to run MSI Utility v2.

This is one fix I haven't heard yet. I'll try it. Assuming I'll find VDDG voltage in the Bios. Can you tell me what MSI Utility is, what it's for, and what I should be doing with it?

ship_rek wrote:
This is one fix I haven't heard yet. I'll try it. Assuming I'll find VDDG voltage in the Bios. Can you tell me what MSI Utility is, what it's for, and what I should be doing with it?

This will explain and show you how to use it:
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/