ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Crosshair VIII Hero won't even power on with new 3900x, cpu or mobo?

I'm trying to figure out whether the motherboard or the cpu is the culprit here---using a 3900x, properly seated, and we get the multicolored LEDs and "Start" button illuminates, but neither the start button nor the front panel connected power switch (confirmed properly seated) does anything whatsoever---no movement of any of the fans, no code appears on the 2 digit readout. I've disconnected everything including the fans to rule out a shorted fan header pin, i've removed the board from the case to rule out shorting on the case, removed all but 1 ram stick, put another brand of ram stick in, and nothing changes at all.

Only thing I can verify is that with the cpu removed, it does register that change with the red light around the memory slots, which goes away with the cpu seated, so I guess at the very least it registers that a cpu is there or not. I looked at the bottom of the cpu, doesn't seem to have any bent pins or anything....

I have no other AM4 cpu to test so I'm wondering if anybody can tell if its the motherboard or cpu to blame here before I go out and dump some more money into a cheap AM4 cpu to test?

Thanks!

New ROGer Array

Had the same thing happen with my xHair VIII/3700x.

Power off, pull the plug then press and hold the CMOS reset button on the rear panel for about 5 seconds. I had to do that twice, then it came right up like it was supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    Had the same thing happen with my xHair VIII/3700x.

Power off, pull the plug then press and hold the CMOS reset button on the rear panel for about 5 seconds. I had to do that twice, then it came right up like it was supposed to.
    Tried that, didn't work---i also went out and bought a cheap 3200G to test and it wouldn't power up with that either. Think the mobo is a dud, probably first time thats happened to me since like the year 2000, lol.

Now running the 3900x in a cheaper replacement TUF X570, worked right out of the box.

Thanks for the help, though!

New ROGer Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)PVR416G413C9K @ 3600 14-15-14-28 CR1
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

case on/off button maybe dodgy (check it or manually bridge - for a fraction of second ) or may have missed the right pins for the connection. You could try using the reset button for on/off to rule that out, never seen two dodgy buttons on one case but you never know !
    Last edited by RedSector73; 09-03-2019 at 02:42 AM.

Yeah, I pretty much ruled that out in the beginning---i stripped down the connections (only the 3 power connectors and cpu fan header connected and of course the vid card) and took the board out of the case to rule out a grounding issue, and used the start button on the board itself, no dice.

I think its just a dud---the TUF i'm using now seems fine and worked with zero issues OOB. But thanks for the help!