cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro / Intel Core i7 5960x XMP not working

Snakebyte
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I'm running 32GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM with an intel Core i7 5960X on a Rampage V Extreme board (BIOS Version 3801)

Without doing any overclocking, the RAM defaults to 2133Mhz.
As the memory I bought is supposed to do 3200Mhz I enabled the XMP profile in the BIOS but sadly, my PC won't boot anymore. It gets stuck during POST on either Q-Code bf or bd.
Did some research and cranked up my vCore and vSystemAgent but without any success. I also tried manually putting in the timings and vDRAM specified by Corsair but nothing changed either.

Full disclaimer: I'm a complete newby to overclocking...

Is someone running the same setup and would maybe like to share their settings with me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong / forgetting to set something important in the BIOS?

If you need any further information please let me know.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

catch36
Level 8
Snakebyte wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm running 32GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM with an intel Core i7 5960X on a Rampage V Extreme board (BIOS Version 3801)

Without doing any overclocking, the RAM defaults to 2133Mhz.
As the memory I bought is supposed to do 3200Mhz I enabled the XMP profile in the BIOS but sadly, my PC won't boot anymore. It gets stuck during POST on either Q-Code bf or bd.
Did some research and cranked up my vCore and vSystemAgent but without any success. I also tried manually putting in the timings and vDRAM specified by Corsair but nothing changed either.

Full disclaimer: I'm a complete newby to overclocking...

Is someone running the same setup and would maybe like to share their settings with me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong / forgetting to set something important in the BIOS?

If you need any further information please let me know.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time 🙂

Try enabling DRAM SPD Write in the DRAM timing control and keep XMP disabled. I was told by Corsair that their RGB memory was compatible with the x99 chipset but the above might allow you to boot with also manually setting the memory speed and timings.

PipJones
Level 8
Also try changing the "MODE" to 2 on the DRAM timing pane. There are 3x modes.

I think it is something like ...

MODE1 = Performance
MODE2 = Compatibility
MODE3 = I can't remember!

catch36 wrote:
Try enabling DRAM SPD Write in the DRAM timing control and keep XMP disabled. I was told by Corsair that their RGB memory was compatible with the x99 chipset but the above might allow you to boot with also manually setting the memory speed and timings.

PipJones wrote:
Also try changing the "MODE" to 2 on the DRAM timing pane. There are 3x modes.

I think it is something like ...

MODE1 = Performance
MODE2 = Compatibility
MODE3 = I can't remember!

Thank you both for your answers

I have already enabled SPD Write as it is needed to configure the LEDs.
I've fiddled with the whole problem a bit and found out that i can do almost everything (changing timing / voltage) and boot to Windows without problems. As soon as i set a DRAM Speed high enough though, probably above 2400Mhz, my PC won't boot. I've tried a tiny increment from 2133 to 2200 and that worked fine although the RAM timings went down the drain.

Could you maybe specify the exact settings i need to change in order to manually set the XMP values? (might changed something wrong / forgot something while trying manual OC)
What I'm changing at the moment:
CAS#Latency
RAS# to CAS#
RAS# Precharge
tRAS

vDRAM CHA/B
vDRAM CHC/D

DRAM Frequency

Do I need to change anything else?

CMDRZOD
Level 7
You'll also want to be looking at System Agent voltage as well. There are guides on this site as well as other places on the internet. I've never had an XMP setting work out of the box. I always manually tweak until I find the max my processor can handle reliably.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
All depends on the memory set bought
3200C14 would likely work where as 3200C16 would be lucky to post to bios or os at all

Been there 3200C16 wouldn't even post where as 3200C14 is the bomb 🙂

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232348
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]