cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Rampage VI extreme Samsung M.2 SSD riser does not work

porcusRex
Level 7
tried everything and searched everywhere

i put a samsung 970 evo MVME M.2 in the slot underneath the PCIE slots and that worked. Bought a second 1TB M.2, same version and card as the first, and it does not work, is not recognized by the BIOS, does not show up at all under anything.

BIOS version 1902 X64 installed two days ago (most recent)

i9-7960x CPU, 64 gigs of memory. one GTX 1080 card for graphics. no other drives or controllers plugged in.

There is a red light that comes on on the riser card. i have tried putting the SSD in both slots on the riser card. Re-seated the card over and over.

i am at a loss with how to make this work.

card is enabled in bios. This is not to create a RAID it is simply to add another TB to the system.

Advanced\CPU Storage Configuration, all 4 choices set to 'Disabled'.

M.2_1(DIMM.2) source selection tried 'from CPU' and 'from PCH'
3 REPLIES 3

BigJohnny
Level 13
The DIMM.2 closer to the memory is a shared channel with PCIE_4 (bottom slot) Try enabling the last to CPU and that should do it.
This card is weird with the assignments and sharing. Get one setting wrong and it wont work. Im 99.9% certain that the inboard slot is either PCIE from CPU or nothing. For that reason it cannot be raided with anything under the PCH controller. Red light just says its active and getting power. I think thats a poor choice of colors as red usually means something is wrong, should have been green.

The other thing to keep in mind is available CPU lanes. but you shouldn't have issues with a 7960.

Make sure you are on the right DIMM.2. The outboard one is PCH only. If you have no other drives plugged in try disabling SATA 5 and 6.

thanks for the reply tried everything listed. no luck. moved the vid card around, no change.

removed the current 1tb ssd (same version as new) installed windows fresh on new SSD, no problems, OS installed (wanted to verify that the new SSD worked) .

so its the riser card and the BIOS settings (if it works at all). There are are numerous folks with the same issue with no exact fix or even a comment that they gave up. There is one post on here with my exact problem from 2017. Shows the place where it works and the place where it doesnt (riser card).

i'd like to use the card. im now looking for a PCIE card that i can use to run the SSD on a PCIe slot. issue may be specific to Samsung SSD NVMEs and the bios/riser card from Asus. i'd be nice if there were some specific hardware SSDs that have been verified to be used on the RISER.

final resolution.

after i installed windows on it it was formatted. it was not accessible via the riser still. i purchased a m.2 to PCIE card for 30 dollars and installed the ssd on that and it works. its actually faster than the m.2 ssd under the cover.

i think but dont know for sure that the formatting worked with the PCIE card because i tried it earlier and it didnt work. so formatting via windows install or some similar process while plugged into the motherboard slot my be required.