cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sound Blaster AE-9 Drops Audio

Jesseinsf
Level 10
I'm copying over (My post) from the Creative Sound Blaster Subreddit channel

In Short: It's a serious driver issue which Creative said is working on a permanent fix.

Sound Blaster AE-9 Audio Stops ( Even after I installed the BETA Drivers) Whether Playing music or Video And there's an Area on PCB that gets Quite Hot. "Updated"
08/14/2019
I re-imaged my PC to confirm that this was not a corrupted Windows issue. I only installed all the latest updates and drivers for my Motherboard and AE-9 sound card. My issue is when playing music through J.river Media Center, the playback stops between 5 minute to an hour. I literally have to click the Stop button and click Play to replay the song/s. Now, when playing Netflix, the sound will also stop and video will jitter like it's in slow motion. I have to back out of the video and replay it to resume the video. This issue doesn't happen as much as it does with J.River Media Center, but it does happen with every other video. This never happened with on-board audio or with my Sound BlasterX G6. I did notice that the sound card does share and IRQ with my Asus nVidia RTX 2070 graphics card. Keep in mind that within Jriver, it doesn't matter what output I use (Direct Sound, ASIO, WASAPI), the issue is the same. One more thing, I did notice that there is one area on the PCB of the AE-9 that gets really hot.
BTW:
The new beta driver didn't work for me. After installing the Beta Driver I played a song in jriver and the sound stopped within a minute. However this time I have not experienced the drop in sound on Netflix and I was watching Netflix for 2 hours now. I did experience a drop in sound in the oddest place. You know when you move the volume slider in the toolbar It makes a sound every time you click it. Well it made a sound with added static and then when I clicked it again it made no sound. I had to click on another part of the screen and then click on the speaker in the toolbar again to get it to make a sound . It didn't have the issue for as many clicks that I did. the second time around.
Update: Netflix audio also finally stopped like 4 time in 1.5 hours. I'm sure the same will go for anything that has audio when using the AE-9. on my system.

08/15/2019
Update 2 :TEMPORARY WORKAROUND
I'm testing a few BIOS settings. Because all mainstream motherboards today have only 16 PCIe direct lanes for the video card and 24 lanes for the PCH chipset which the PCH chipset uses DMI version 3 which only supports 4 direct PCIe lanes. Keeping all this in mind and with what my specs are below, I can say that I use all available bandwidth. What I don't want is PCIe settings that I don't need turned on which can affect the performance negatively. I also will turn off anything I don't need in general. The 2 settings I am focusing on is: Intel VT-d and SO-IOV Support. I turned both of these features off within the BIOS. SO-IOV Support is basically for multiple Virtual devices on one PCIe card. I don't need this feature because I don't have a RAID card installed for multiple Virtual machines. My results so far has been no Audio dops in 6 hours. I will continue this test for a few days and I will report any dropouts in audio. One last thing, I did change my shared sound settings to 16-bit 48khz which is the default. I use the ASIO driver which bypasses those settings.

08/16/2019
Update 3: Don't overclock your PC until a fix is available
I overclocked my PC like I always did and found out the the problem returned. I'm not sure if this is a BIOS issue or a driver issue. I'm just going to have to wait for an update.
1 REPLY 1

Gofran
Level 8
Jesseinsf wrote:
I'm copying over (My post) from the Creative Sound Blaster Subreddit channel

In Short: It's a serious driver issue which Creative said is working on a permanent fix.

Sound Blaster AE-9 Audio Stops ( Even after I installed the BETA Drivers) Whether Playing music or Video And there's an Area on PCB that gets Quite Hot. "Updated"
08/14/2019
I re-imaged my PC to confirm that this was not a corrupted Windows issue. I only installed all the latest updates and drivers for my Motherboard and AE-9 sound card. My issue is when playing music through J.river Media Center, the playback stops between 5 minute to an hour. I literally have to click the Stop button and click Play to replay the song/s. Now, when playing Netflix, the sound will also stop and video will jitter like it's in slow motion. I have to back out of the video and replay it to resume the video. This issue doesn't happen as much as it does with J.River Media Center, but it does happen with every other video. This never happened with on-board audio or with my Sound BlasterX G6. I did notice that the sound card does share and IRQ with my Asus nVidia RTX 2070 graphics card. Keep in mind that within Jriver, it doesn't matter what output I use (Direct Sound, ASIO, WASAPI), the issue is the same. One more thing, I did notice that there is one area on the PCB of the AE-9 that gets really hot.
BTW:
The new beta driver didn't work for me. After installing the Beta Driver I played a song in jriver and the sound stopped within a minute. However this time I have not experienced the drop in sound on Netflix and I was watching Netflix for 2 hours now. I did experience a drop in sound in the oddest place. You know when you move the volume slider in the toolbar It makes a sound every time you click it. Well it made a sound with added static and then when I clicked it again it made no sound. I had to click on another part of the screen and then click on the speaker in the toolbar again to get it to make a sound . It didn't have the issue for as many clicks that I did. the second time around.
Update: Netflix audio also finally stopped like 4 time in 1.5 hours. I'm sure the same will go for anything that has audio when using the AE-9. on my system.

08/15/2019
Update 2 :TEMPORARY WORKAROUND
I'm testing a few BIOS settings. Because all mainstream motherboards today have only 16 PCIe direct lanes for the video card and 24 lanes for the PCH chipset which the PCH chipset uses DMI version 3 which only supports 4 direct PCIe lanes. Keeping all this in mind and with what my specs are below, I can say that I use all available bandwidth. What I don't want is PCIe settings that I don't need turned on which can affect the performance negatively. I also will turn off anything I don't need in general. The 2 settings I am focusing on is: Intel VT-d and SO-IOV Support. I turned both of these features off within the BIOS. SO-IOV Support is basically for multiple Virtual devices on one PCIe card. I don't need this feature because I don't have a RAID card installed for multiple Virtual machines. My results so far has been no Audio dops in 6 hours. I will continue this test for a few days and I will report any dropouts in audio. One last thing, I did change my shared sound settings to 16-bit 48khz which is the default. I use the ASIO driver which bypasses those settings.

08/16/2019
Update 3: Don't overclock your PC until a fix is available
I overclocked my PC like I always did and found out the the problem returned. I'm not sure if this is a BIOS issue or a driver issue. I'm just going to have to wait for an update.

Hello so i have got ae9 also but for me only lik once a week not turning on with pc i am wanted to know what exactly you disabled in bios
fastboot is off for me