Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios updating

Pleot
Level 8
Hello just a simple question...
I have an rampage V extreme /u3.1
Now I was looking into updating the mobo bios.
Went to search for the file on asus download site and realized there is a more recent bios for the simple rampage V extreme board, the board without the expansion usb 3,1 card. While the bios file for the former is version 4101, the latest version for the rampage V extreme /u3.1 model is only 3701.
Since the only diference on the boards is the expansion slot will I get into trouble if I install bios version 4101 on my RVE/u3.1 board?

Sorry if I got my writing confused
Cheers,
4 REPLIES 4

BigJohnny
Level 13
Are you having troubles now?
When it comes to BIOS I follow the "If it aint broke dont fix it" philosophy.

Pleot
Level 8
Well when it comes to Bios one does not really know if something under the hood needs stability fixing. Also with all those news about cpu vulnerabilities maybe it would be better for the safe side. But I also read somewhere that the vulnerability fixing comes with a performance cost. Anyone know about this?

Sityi
Level 7
Pleot wrote:
Hello just a simple question...
I have an rampage V extreme /u3.1
Now I was looking into updating the mobo bios.
Went to search for the file on asus download site and realized there is a more recent bios for the simple rampage V extreme board, the board without the expansion usb 3,1 card. While the bios file for the former is version 4101, the latest version for the rampage V extreme /u3.1 model is only 3701.
Since the only diference on the boards is the expansion slot will I get into trouble if I install bios version 4101 on my RVE/u3.1 board?

Sorry if I got my writing confused
Cheers,

I have the same mobo as you and I have applied the "plain" Rampage V Extreme 4101 BIOS successfully. However bear in mind that you are going to loose all your settings and saved profiles, the UEFI will reset to factory default settings.
I don't think there's too much risk in this, since the motherboard has dual BIOS, so if the flashing or the first time startup fails you can still recover to the backup one.

Pleot
Level 8
Yes I understand, have been reading a bit and the fact is somehow my cpu has the new microcode already, maybe through some windows updating, im imune to the spectre/meltdown exploit and the cpu has the latest firmware microcode as in this table here https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/122479-kb4465065-intel-microcode-updates-windows-10-v1809-... https://www.win-raid.com/t3367f47-How-to-to-confirm-the-Intel-microcode-revision-for-your-CPU-has-Sp...