cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (Wi-Fi) x570 won't POST Q-Code "8d" - intermittent

charltvisser
Level 7
Hi Guys

My new system intermittently turns on, though does not POST. Q-Code: 8d, Q-LED: DRAM (yellow) - according to manual. Occurs every 1-2 out of 5 boot attempts. Issue is usually overcome by turning system off and on again.

Changed Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 CL16 memory for equivalent Kingston HyperX Predator RGB (HX432C16PB3A/8), the latter which is listed as officially supported memory according to QVL online.

I have seen several reports online from other affected users with the same issue > https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/cgmlmw/qcode_8d/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/cgmrhq/anyone_have_issue_with_the_new_x570_crosshair/?ref=rea....

Does anyone know if there is an underlying issue (perhaps BIOS)? Thank you in advance.

Regards,
CTV
62 REPLIES 62

zekikosiff
Level 7
i'm having the same problem

Did you fix it ?

zekikosiff wrote:
Did you fix it ?

Without going into too much details, I was given this advice to try out:

"8d can be related to Fabric AKA FCLK instability. Can manually try to set VDDG voltage to 1.0v to see and SOC voltage to 1.15v to see if this helps"

I'm having the same Kingston HyperX Predator RGB HX432C16PB3A/2x8 memory, none WiFi Croshair VIII, and do not have this issue.
I'm using Bios 0803 and 0506 before and never had any problems.

The *error maybe to do with amd ryzen infinity fabric failure. Causes could be voltage to or FCLK Mghz setting.

*I have triggered this when o/c the fclk.

I've registered to this forum just to present my solution to this ongoing issue.

My System is composed of:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E, latest bios, which is 1005
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x + Cooler Noctua NH-D15
RAM: Two sticks of 16GB G-Skill Trident-Z 3600 Mhz CL17, running in BIOS as XMP Profile 3600. All auto
GPU: Asus ROG Srix 1080 Ti
PSU: Seasonic 860W Platinum

What I've tried and didn't work:
- Lowering RAM frequency (this worked to a certain extent as in the errors were less frequent)
- Getting SOC voltage higher (this made no change)

What did eventually work:
- LOWERING SOC VOLTAGE A BIT.
I've just lowered bit by bit until I got to 1.07 or so and the error was gone for what I was able to confirm by rebooting the system for tens of times.
Then I've just lowered again to be on the safe side to 1.06250 V (see attached screenshot)

It has been days without the error. I've got FCLK and RAM running 1:1 at 1800 Mhz.

ASUS NEEDS TO LOOK INTO THIS AS THIS MIGHT JUST BE SOME WRONG OFFSET SOMEWHERE WHICH SETS THE REAL SOC VOLTAGE TOO HIGH!
THIS IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOUR!

dlbogdan wrote:
I've registered to this forum just to present my solution to this ongoing issue.

My System is composed of:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E, latest bios, which is 1005
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x + Cooler Noctua NH-D15
RAM: Two sticks of 16GB G-Skill Trident-Z 3600 Mhz CL17, running in BIOS as XMP Profile 3600. All auto
GPU: Asus ROG Srix 1080 Ti
PSU: Seasonic 860W Platinum

What I've tried and didn't work:
- Lowering RAM frequency (this worked to a certain extent as in the errors were less frequent)
- Getting SOC voltage higher (this made no change)

What did eventually work:
- LOWERING SOC VOLTAGE A BIT.
I've just lowered bit by bit until I got to 1.07 or so and the error was gone for what I was able to confirm by rebooting the system for tens of times.
Then I've just lowered again to be on the safe side to 1.06250 V (see attached screenshot)

It has been days without the error. I've got FCLK and RAM running 1:1 at 1800 Mhz.

ASUS NEEDS TO LOOK INTO THIS AS THIS MIGHT JUST BE SOME WRONG OFFSET SOMEWHERE WHICH SETS THE REAL SOC VOLTAGE TOO HIGH!
THIS IS NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOUR!

I'm curious if you've tried this with a BIOS that has AGESA 1.0.0.3. I've just had my system up a short while and updated to the latest Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) BiOS (Version 1001) pretty much right away. My CPU SOC Voltage is 1.072 V and my CPU Core is at 1.297 V without me doing any manual settings. I'm just curious if they backed that off in later BIOS updates.

Capricorn1 wrote:
I'm curious if you've tried this with a BIOS that has AGESA 1.0.0.3. I've just had my system up a short while and updated to the latest Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) BiOS (Version 1001) pretty much right away. My CPU SOC Voltage is 1.072 V and my CPU Core is at 1.297 V without me doing any manual settings. I'm just curious if they backed that off in later BIOS updates.

Not to my knowledge. I had first bios for month or two and never had the issue on auto unless I was amm ammm - tinkering.

I'm currently testing with the latest BIOS 1201 with AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA with stock voltages.
I'll let you know if the 8D error comes back.
Btw, I haven't had any 8D post code errors since I modified the SOC voltage as in my prev post (with previous BIOS).