Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

So are these temps normal on this board at idle?

Thanks Red

Ok I watched the buildzoid video and picked up that this chip-set can pull a lot voltages even when it sometimes doesn't need to.

I think I get what your saying that at this point if anything its most likely some component that is the cause of the heat and not the heat itself that is the issue but that it might be the cause of further issues down the line and (Hopefully during warrenty)

I appreciate your looking over the temps in Hwinfo64 as I though perhaps maybe something like the CPU was not being cooled enough during gaming and that might be leading to the higher PCH temps (hence my thoughts around swapping to a larger AIO and better Cooling paste.) and thanks for sharing your #'s even though they are not apples to apples considering our climate and case differences

A few other questions come to mind then.

Can one use Kryonaught on the AIO's because I also have some CoolerMaster Cooler Maker thermal gel paste that Cyberpower sent with the rig instead if you find that to be better for AIO's?

That ROG AIO does look sweet and might just do the trick since it cools with a fan as well...Tempting. One would think that a 240 aio outta be enough in most cases but clearly it's either not (or just plain not applying to the problem and acting as a mental red herring for me in this case)

How would I determine the actual range of Temperatures the PCH chip can take? is 80 c while under-load in spec then? (I assume so or that the board would have shut down if I am following you.)

Also random question but after listening to BZ talk about not liking the 2.5 GPS Realtek port I am tempted to switch over the 1 GPS Intel Lan Port or try the (currently unattached Wifi 6 capable antenna for craps and giggles.)

Any experience around those from your end?

I also Noticed that Cyberpower sent this board in with 16 GB 2 rank Dimm's in a-1 and b-1 and buildziod pointed out something about daisy chaning ram on the board and using a-2 and b-2 should I swap this around and would it make any difference?

Looking forward to the new bios hopefully that helps somewhat.

-Naz
    Last edited by nazkai; 10-27-2019 at 12:31 AM.

New ROGer Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)PVR416G413C9K @ 3600 14-15-14-28 CR1
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

You can use any TIM with AIO (not only the one they supply). Typically only liquid metal have (slight) etching effect and are hard to apply / need real care.

PCH has no known info about thermal specification (to my knowledge). My guess 90-105 before anything happens that isn't bad like a shutdown, more like thermal throttling and that it is protected. Remember this is diode temp not package or avg temp. If you measured the CPU on diode temp it would 80-94. The x570 chipset has a reported draw around 15 watts.

I use 1gps Intel port and the wifi given my router is less 3m away is great (ie: at really short range is awesome and no idea further away)

a-2 and b-2 (or slots 2 and 4 from cpu) highly recommended.
    Last edited by RedSector73; 10-30-2019 at 02:59 AM. Reason: 12w to 15w (found new source)

New ROGer Array

Rock on Red Thanks Man

Will switch those ram sticks round tomorrow.

Have a great day!

-Naz

ROG Member Array

Asus support said to me via email that temp spikes up to 100 degree are fine...

I really doubt that!

You can replace the ****ty thermalpad with a copper pad... your temps will decrease +/- 15 degree

RedSector73 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

Quote Originally Posted by PyCoder View Post
    Asus support said to me via email that temp spikes up to 100 degree are fine...
    Thank you for sharing that information, it confirms my guesstimate.

New ROGer Array

Thanks Pycoder and Red.

I wouldn't know how to get in and replace that pad without possibly making things worse.

Probably best to leave well enough and hot enough alone I guess and then RMA if it dies.

Hey Red I am still thinking about getting that Ryujin360 at some point or else waiting on the next model that comes out with a Fan because right now on these forums there are a lot of people in posts complaining that the Software Crate is not working properly with the Ryujin and also found a review up on Youtoube that determined that the OLED screen Temp readings come from the Mobo at the base of the CPU and not from the CPU package which could be updated in software but kinda sucks.

So I am holding off till they fix that or unless my C: Samsung m.2 NVME EVO 1 TB drive starts running too hot over 50-60c since the fan on that Ryujin could cool it some.

Still gotta figure out my 32 GB of Corsair dual rank ram running better at some point than the 16-16-18-36-70 525 2T I got it sitting at right now but that is gonna take some research on that DRAM calc and a better understanding of the infinity fabric on my part so for now I am studying.

Thanks Gents.

RedSector73 PC Specs
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

Quote Originally Posted by nazkai View Post
    I wouldn't know how to get in and replace that pad without possibly making things worse.
    Probably best to leave well enough and hot enough alone I guess and then RMA if it dies.
    I would not bother, I really doubt the temp matters and I did mention the main reason people get caught up in a temperature paradigm.

Hey Red I am still thinking about getting that Ryujin360 at some point or else waiting on the next model that comes out with a Fan because right now on these forums there are a lot of people in posts complaining that the Software Crate is not working properly with the Ryujin and also found a review up on Youtoube that determined that the OLED screen Temp readings come from the Mobo at the base of the CPU and not from the CPU package which could be updated in software but kinda sucks.
    Software create I don't use, cant comment.

I'll play devil's advocate to Ryujin. CPU package is the average temperature. This would be what you cooler should be measuring simply because that is what it is actually dealing with. It's like people saying CPU diode temp is important (or too a Intel fanboy it's your only hope of proving AMD run hotter) .... to your cooler it isn't a realistic value unless your using liquid nitrogen (in which case cpu diode temp is all that matters). To your CPU, diode temp effects clock performance, lower it is more likely you can clock higher on one or more cores (all). These things are inter related but what it measures is basically eye candy, after a month of your system working, your not even going to look at it, till you either make a problem for yourself or something isn't right.

So I am holding off till they fix that or unless my C: Samsung m.2 NVME EVO 1 TB drive starts running too hot over 50-60c since the fan on that Ryujin could cool it some.
    The Ryujin is expensive but the coolermaster is always another good option. I would only expect the VRM to see cooling in any from that matters (I might be wrong maybe the PCH will be helped, it would not be in my system the video card would stop that).
    Last edited by RedSector73; 10-31-2019 at 03:13 AM.

New ROGer Array

Hey Red,

Been learning to live with and love the temps instead of letting em get to me too much. Course we've hit winter here in Chicago now and Ambient is lower so (We'll see when Summer rolls around.)

Gonna wait on swapping out the AIO cooler until I have more of an issue since I think most of my issue has been me being too worried about temps

Got a new question to run by you on this board since I know you run the exact same board CH8 Wifi yeah?

Do you use the secondary M.2_2 slot or no?

Reason I ask is I am running a single 2080TI and I have the 970 EVO (PCIE 3rd Gen) 1TB as my boot drive atm and I am considering getting more storage but I've heard mention that if you use both M.2's at the same time that might take up too many PCIE lanes and effect either Video 16X or other performance?

I'd like to get another NMVE M.2. in that second slot at some point and I'd like your advice on if that's wise with my config on this board whenever you have some time man. Wondering if Is there a better route to take for more storage or is 2 M.2's good to go in this Mobo?

-Naz

RedSector73 PC Specs
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

Do you use the secondary M.2_2 slot or no?
    No, I currently do not.

... I am considering getting more storage but I've heard mention that if you use both M.2's at the same time that might take up too many PCIE lanes and effect either Video 16X or other performance?
    The articles most likely refer to older generations of the board or the ever popular triple GPU's combo (that you have to have more money than brains) to run.

Here is how your board pcie lanes work:-
    In General:-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMD-X570-Chipset-Block-Diagram.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	82929
    CH8 Specification (source: the manual):-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcie1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	355.9 KB 
ID:	82930
    short answer no problem - till you running three gpu's and second m2 from what I read.

One thing interesting, off topic, the mix of Gen 3.0 and Gen 4.0 on Ryzen 2000 series on this board, specifically 16_3 x4 Gen 4 ? typo? I think should be Gen 3 like the other two. And you would be better using the Second m2 as your primary if you had gen x4.0 device.

Hope you find this of help.
    Last edited by RedSector73; 11-10-2019 at 03:22 PM.

New ROGer Array

Hey There Red.

Thanks for getting back on this.

Ok cool then glad to hear it would not effect my single GPU or PCIE 16X data transfer in a negative manner, at the moment I have my 970 NVME evo as my primary boot drive and it's a (3rd gen)

Aside from that I've got the single 16X 2080ti in the first slot (On a riser cable actually to keep its bulk and it's heat away from the PCH fan on the Mobo)

I also run 2 high speed Sata SSD's @ 500 GB's a piece one WDC Blue and one 860 EVO (which I use for storage and slower smaller games that don't need to have the fastest performance moving assets from while gaming (Those kinds of resource heavy games like Red Dead II I keep on the boot NVME in my m2._1 slot

Honestly It's all fast enough for me thus far and I was just considering more space and wanting to use that m.2_2 as a large storage drive.

But now that you mention it since I do have the ability to do a "4th Gen" NVME at some point that is one option I am considering.
    (I'd just need to clone my OS over to the new Faster M.2 in _2 and then I could use the _1 slot as a 1TB storage device or a back up OS device.

One thing I did not fully understand was why you suggest I put the new 4th NVME m.2 in the _2 slot rather then _1?

Thanks man.

-Naz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast