cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H fans stop at high load

IIINikolaiIII
Level 7
Hi! I'm having a problem with my C7H where all of my fans that are connected to the mobo stop spinning when the pc gets a higher load. This is causing a thermal shutdown. BIOS version 2501. Nothing in my pc has changed in a few months and now this started to happen. Thanks for any help.
15 REPLIES 15

gupsterg
Level 13
I have only experienced this once on UEFI 2501/2406 when PC had been in use for ~3 days back to back.

Set fan profile in UEFI, do not use OS SW to adjust fans, I would make sure you do not use things like Ai Suite, Aura. In the past I have seen owners have issue even with other SW like iCue, etc, so anything which controls RGB, etc should also just be uninstalled.

Do not use multiple monitoring SW, I have had no issues with CPU-Z & HWINFO. I have noted if Ryzen Master is open and another SW like say HWINFO, I can have fans issues.

So far on the later UEFIs 2602 onwards I have not noted a fan issue yet.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
I have only experienced this once on UEFI 2501/2406 when PC had been in use for ~3 days back to back.

Set fan profile in UEFI, do not use OS SW to adjust fans, I would make sure you do not use things like Ai Suite, Aura. In the past I have seen owners have issue even with other SW like iCue, etc, so anything which controls RGB, etc should also just be uninstalled.

Do not use multiple monitoring SW, I have had no issues with CPU-Z & HWINFO. I have noted if Ryzen Master is open and another SW like say HWINFO, I can have fans issues.

So far on the later UEFIs 2602 onwards I have not noted a fan issue yet.

I don't have any RGB or fan control software installed and never had any. Maybe i need a newer BIOS.
EDIT: Does the new AGESA work fine with zen+ cpus? or do i need to have zen2?

gupsterg
Level 13
It will work with Zen/Zen+.

Besides RGB or fan control SW, what monitoring SW do you use? old versions of AIDA64 can cause issues, HWMonitor I wouldn't use on Ryzen at all TBH.

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
It will work with Zen/Zen+.

Besides RGB or fan control SW, what monitoring SW do you use? old versions of AIDA64 can cause issues, HWMonitor I wouldn't use on Ryzen at all TBH.

I use HWinfo64

xeizo
Level 12
I noticed I had fans stopping, or even vanished from monitoring, when I hadn't set fan curves in bios.

It didn't affect stability much as my radiator fans/pump is controlled from the cooler itself with Corsair H150i Pro but it was annoying.

When I set all fan curves manual in bios, and removed all Asus software in Windows, fans have been running and monitored just right in HWINFO64 all the time since.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

xeizo wrote:
I noticed I had fans stopping, or even vanished from monitoring, when I hadn't set fan curves in bios.

It didn't affect stability much as my radiator fans/pump is controlled from the cooler itself with Corsair H150i Pro but it was annoying.

When I set all fan curves manual in bios, and removed all Asus software in Windows, fans have been running and monitored just right in HWINFO64 all the time since.

My AIO controls the fans and pump itself too, but still both stop working eventually. System fans are set from BIOS aswell. HWinfo shows 0-29000 rpm when every fan stops. They slowly go down in speed and stop eventually.

gupsterg
Level 13
I always set fan profile via UEFI, do not use OS SW. This ZIP has WMV of the incident with lost PWM, again rig had been in use since midday 21st. I don't know when over the course of overnight run fan headers lost PWM. I forgot to set HWINFO to log that night,.

I'm glad the X570 ASUS mobo have moved to Nuvoton Super IO chip, the super IO chip ITE8655E seems to be prone to issues, I really didn't encounter as many issues as others though. Yes ASUS brought out "WMI implementation" to resolve it, but any application using Super IO chip that does not use ASUS WMI can send it wacko.

Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
I always set fan profile via UEFI, do not use OS SW. This ZIP has WMV of the incident with lost PWM, again rig had been in use since midday 21st. I don't know when over the course of overnight run fan headers lost PWM. I forgot to set HWINFO to log that night,.

I'm glad the X570 ASUS mobo have moved to Nuvoton Super IO chip, the super IO chip ITE8655E seems to be prone to issues, I really didn't encounter as many issues as others though. Yes ASUS brought out "WMI implementation" to resolve it, but any application using Super IO chip that does not use ASUS WMI can send it wacko.

I got fans set from BIOS too. I tried that fan tuning from it aswell and they just stopped during that too. Super weird.

I had a weird fan speed thing with 2501, had the pump and fan curves set in BIOS, when i used Auto OC in Ryzen Master + HWinfo, on load the pump ramped up but the fans slowed down to 400rpm. Was doing 3Dmark benchmarks and luckily aborted before the CPU test, as it would surely turn the fans off on full load.