cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Wifi, fan control / sensors are broken

weare
Level 7
Hello.
I'm using c6h wifi motherboard with 3700x CPU and currently experiencing a lot of problems with fan control / sensors on recent bios versions. I did expect some problems when i was building this system (bleeding edge bios, etc), but i never thought there will be so much issues with such a basic functionality as temperature control.

I have 1 CPU fan and 3 PWM case fans (Noctua A14/A12). #1 and #2 case fans should change RPM depending on CPU temperature, and #3 depends on PCH temperature. Basically it works fine for some time (usually 2-10 hours), but then the expected behavior breaks in many different ways:

1. This is the most common issue i'm experiencing right now. Usually fans should spin around 800-900 RPM when the system is in idle state. When this problem happens, RPM decreases to 400-500 and the more i load my CPU the less RPM i get until fans completely stop. And it happens to all CPU-related fans. This is so ridiculous i even made the video — https://streamable.com/i3379 where you can see the idle behavior (~400 rpm) and what happens when i load my CPU using 'stress' utility. I've tried different fan profiles (silent, standard, etc), different low speed, delays and nothing changed. I've checked and can confirm that fans are really stopping, so it's not just monitor tool issue. The fix is to reboot the system.

2. Motherboard temperature sensors just stop working and hang up on the last value it was, even though RPM sensors still work. Once more, it's not the monitoring tool related problem because fans aren't changing the speed if i load my CPU. For instance, if CPU temperature hangs up on ~50C temperature, fans will still have ~800 RPM even if i stress my CPU (usually in this case RPM should increase up to 1500). The fix is to reboot the system.

3. Fan is just completely ignoring the component's temperature. I had this issue on my fan #3, which wasn't changing idle RPM even though my PCH temperature was already around 80. The fix is to reboot the system.

4. Fan gets stuck at 100% RPM. This usually happens on my fan #3 when i cold boot my system. Rebooting the system didn't help me though, i had to clear CMOS (or make some changings in the bios) to fix this.

So basically my system is barely usable right now, i have to constantly monitor the sensors and regularly reboot my system when something breaks again. Otherwise this behavior can possible damage my CPU/motherboard due to overheat in high-load scenarios. As far as i can see, other people are experiencing pretty much similar fan-related problems i do, so it's not just defect motherboard i have.

I've been using ASUS motherboards for 17 years starting from P4PE and you can imagine how disappointed i am right now. In my opinion this kind of issues are critical and should be investigate ASAP. I hope my report can be useful, and this situation won't end with changing motherboard to another vendor.
45 REPLIES 45

weare
Level 7
Trying to find the less broken bios and still no success.

Issue #1 appears on 7306 and probably 7201
Issue #2 happened just a few times and i'm not quite sure if i experienced it anywhere besides 7201 (but probably other versions are affected as well)
Issue #3 appears on every bios including 7306, 7201 and 7106
Issue #4 isn't that critical since it can be fixed by clearing CMOS, but it happened on multiple bios versions as well

IIINikolaiIII
Level 7
I have same issues with C7H where all of my fans just stop and causes a thermal shutdown. Still looking for a solution.

IIINikolaiIII wrote:
I have same issues with C7H where all of my fans just stop and causes a thermal shutdown. Still looking for a solution.

added c7 potential fix in my original reply

Shamino wrote:
added c7 potential fix in my original reply

Gonna try out the 0002 bios to see if it works. I have only seen the fan problem recently as I attached 3 fans to the motherboard directly for looks. Previous I had no fans actually connected to the C7H WiFi but since I have added these 3 fans...I have one that will shut off then turn on and back and forth and the RGB goes off and stays off.

This has been a non issue for me since I use a seperate fan controller and really is a non issue now as these are decorative fans. Anyhow I will test it out for a few days...and then mod the bios and upload it for you to look at with the features and fan control we should have that is already present. Which board do you work with mostly keep in mind the modded bios only show these options for ryzen series 1000/2000 cpus. I have not yet figured out how to unhide them for 3000. But the point is I am wanting to show you the features everyone wants that already exist in the bios. Also the fan controls that are hidden can prevent most of the fan stopping issues as well.

The most requested features are HPET, Spread Spectrum contol options to be able to enable or disable. And then the extra fan controls. The rest of the things I unhide and make usable are not ever really mentioned on OCN or reddit. Also this is a big request for the Ryzen 3000 series users as well.

And a big shout out and THANKS YOU for reaching out to us. Since you stepped up to the plate you are making a world of difference. I am getting ready to buy my a x570 board and was not gonna use ASUS again with the departure of Elmor and the lack of communication, now I am again considering ASUS for 10+ years in a row. This is due to your presence. I know I am only one user but many others felt this way as well based on comments at OCN. I have had many MBs from y'all over more then 10 years.

TaijRai wrote:
Gonna try out the 0002 bios to see if it works. I have only seen the fan problem recently as I attached 3 fans to the motherboard directly for looks. Previous I had no fans actually connected to the C7H WiFi but since I have added these 3 fans...I have one that will shut off then turn on and back and forth and the RGB goes off and stays off.

This has been a non issue for me since I use a seperate fan controller and really is a non issue now as these are decorative fans. Anyhow I will test it out for a few days...and then mod the bios and upload it for you to look at with the features and fan control we should have that is already present. Which board do you work with mostly keep in mind the modded bios only show these options for ryzen series 1000/2000 cpus. I have not yet figured out how to unhide them for 3000. But the point is I am wanting to show you the features everyone wants that already exist in the bios. Also the fan controls that are hidden can prevent most of the fan stopping issues as well.

The most requested features are HPET, Spread Spectrum contol options to be able to enable or disable. And then the extra fan controls. The rest of the things I unhide and make usable are not ever really mentioned on OCN or reddit. Also this is a big request for the Ryzen 3000 series users as well.

And a big shout out and THANKS YOU for reaching out to us. Since you stepped up to the plate you are making a world of difference. I am getting ready to buy my a x570 board and was not gonna use ASUS again with the departure of Elmor and the lack of communication, now I am again considering ASUS for 10+ years in a row. This is due to your presence. I know I am only one user but many others felt this way as well based on comments at OCN. I have had many MBs from y'all over more then 10 years.

Me too Asus top brass should be made aware that we customers love to have someone like Elmor and Shamino working on best Forums/reddit giving out suport and info.

Anyone using the 0002 Beta UEFI and not experiencing the fan issue anymore?
I installed it this morning on C7H Wi-Fi and I'll be testing.

Fearnor wrote:
Anyone using the 0002 Beta UEFI and not experiencing the fan issue anymore?

43 hours of uptime, everything's great so far.

Shamino wrote:
hi can you try this version to see if issue disappears?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ts6dclcqw89f0h/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-WIFI-AC-ASUS-0002.rar?dl=0
let me know whether yes or no

hi*Shamino, can you post test bios also for my mobo?*regular crosshair vi hero (non wifi)
I have the same problem with the fans that suddenly stop working, also at the boot the fan of my Nvidia rtx 2080 start at 100% then return to normal after 4-5 seconds,*on overclock.net forum many users have same bug
thank you*