Level 7
I built the following pc configuration (i mentioned only important components):

Processor: Intel i9-9900K
Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 64GB 3600
Graphics Card #1: Asus ROG MATRIX RTX 2080 TI
Graphics Card #2: Asus ROG MATRIX RTX 2080 TI
Case: Asus ROG Helios
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1200W

Second graphics card is on the way and until it arrived - i have a question... will the top graphics card get enough air for normal cooling?
12 REPLIES 12

Zka17
Level 16
I am afraid that the top card will run hotter...

Antrix
Level 7
Damn... any advice? Maybe i should put some fans on front?

Antrix wrote:
Damn... any advice? Maybe i should put some fans on front?

Put them under water would be the best option

OutSider420 wrote:
Put them under water would be the best option

I second that ^^^!

Just out of curiosity, why do you need two graphics cards of that level? *

Antrix
Level 7
Yeah, i really want to use it both via nvlink. The problem is that the size of those cards are a little higher in height and the bottom card does not fit due to usb / rgb / audio / power connectors, etc. What kind of motherboard can I choose for socket 1151, so that its dimensions would allow it to fit the second card normally? Well, or maybe there is something from 2066 or sTR4?

Zka17
Level 16
My concern with the 115X boards was always the low number of channels the CPU has... Whenever going with an SLI setup, I used the bigger boards - simply put, the ones with quad channel memory (those CPUs have more channels). So, Intel LGA 2011, 2011-v3, and LGA 2066: choose EATX, usually the PCIE slots are spaced pretty good for an SLI setup - however, the 3-slot graphics cards will be still pushing the limits...

Now, price-wise it worth considering the AMD boards too: also EATX, but only the X399 chipset ones - those are for the Threadripper CPUs. At this moment, I would wait though with these AMD boards... I have a feeling (from reading here and there) that AMD is coming out with the new Threadrippers soon...

The X570 AM4 platform would have enough PCIE lanes, but the dual channel memory setups are bothering me... That's why I was suggesting the X399 or it's successor...

Overall, your problem is with the 3-slot wide cards... not too many boards are designed to allow enough breathing room between them. As said before, placing water blocks over them is the easiest way to address the issue...*

Zka17 wrote:
My concern with the 115X boards was always the low number of channels the CPU has... Whenever going with an SLI setup, I used the bigger boards - simply put, the ones with quad channel memory (those CPUs have more channels). So, Intel LGA 2011, 2011-v3, and LGA 2066: choose EATX, usually the PCIE slots are spaced pretty good for an SLI setup - however, the 3-slot graphics cards will be still pushing the limits...

Now, price-wise it worth considering the AMD boards too: also EATX, but only the X399 chipset ones - those are for the Threadripper CPUs. At this moment, I would wait though with these AMD boards... I have a feeling (from reading here and there) that AMD is coming out with the new Threadrippers soon...

The X570 AM4 platform would have enough PCIE lanes, but the dual channel memory setups are bothering me... That's why I was suggesting the X399 or it's successor...

Overall, your problem is with the 3-slot wide cards... not too many boards are designed to allow enough breathing room between them. As said before, placing water blocks over them is the easiest way to address the issue...*

Thank you very much for the answers! Could you help me choose a motherboard for these video cards? I would really appreciate it. I don't want to put custom water blocks on them to avoid warranty removal. It doesn't matter which socket is 1151, 2066, or sTR4. Also, I will definitely thank you with anything.

Antrix
Level 7
Well, i need something like this (there is a 2 slot space between 2nd and 3rd PCI-E slots), but this MB is very cheap:

Antrix
Level 7
Im planning to buy Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme and i9-9980xe. What do you say, how much will I lose in terms of games performance (I know that this processor is designed for other tasks)?