Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    17

    Ryzen 9 3900X boosting problem with Crosshair VIII

    Anyone else have trouble getting Ryzen 9 3900x to boost at 4.5 or 4.6 single core on Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi board? I have the latest bios from Asus site. Adequate AIO cooling (Corsair H105) in a Lian Li PCO-11 case with fans top and bottom. When I run Cinebench R20, max boost speed I got for single core is around 4.3 at best temp around 65ish, never seen 4.5 or 4.6. On all core CPU bench, usually around 4.0 or sometimes 4.1 temp around 80. What kind of BIOS setting are you guys using to get 4.6 single core boost? There's so many options in BIOS in regards to PBO and overclocking, tried many different combos and still can't get anywhere near 4.6. Sometimes I even got worse result with PBO set to manual or advanced and scaler at 10x.

    I think they only time I saw 4.6 is when I had Ryzen Master set to game mode and one CCD active. Would be good if thre's a sticky thread or guide on here specific to Crosshair VIII and 3rd gen Ryzen and settings to get the best boost clock and performance.

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Check out Hardware Unboxed latest video on Youtube, and check out Der8auer latest video too, they talk about this problem but dont know if they use your specific motherboard! Hope you get some information from those videos

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2SzF3IiMaE&t=

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    follow these settings

    Quote Originally Posted by Scblacksunshine View Post
    Anyone else have trouble getting Ryzen 9 3900x to boost at 4.5 or 4.6 single core on Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi board? I have the latest bios from Asus site. Adequate AIO cooling (Corsair H105) in a Lian Li PCO-11 case with fans top and bottom. When I run Cinebench R20, max boost speed I got for single core is around 4.3 at best temp around 65ish, never seen 4.5 or 4.6. On all core CPU bench, usually around 4.0 or sometimes 4.1 temp around 80. What kind of BIOS setting are you guys using to get 4.6 single core boost? There's so many options in BIOS in regards to PBO and overclocking, tried many different combos and still can't get anywhere near 4.6. Sometimes I even got worse result with PBO set to manual or advanced and scaler at 10x.

    I think they only time I saw 4.6 is when I had Ryzen Master set to game mode and one CCD active. Would be good if thre's a sticky thread or guide on here specific to Crosshair VIII and 3rd gen Ryzen and settings to get the best boost clock and performance.
    I was having the same issue. Try this.

    Go to extreme tweaker in bios.

    Set ram speed to 3533 if you are above that.
    Under enhance performance set that to default.
    Under precision boost set it to enabled, and +200.
    Set voltage to auto - don;t worry about offset.
    Latest AMD drivers with AMD balance profile.

    reboot. Launch hwinfo64 and monitor the boost clocks. I am getting about 4566.6 max. My single core score in cinebench went up after it and I see single core boost at 4400-4500+ depending on load. Also All core boost is around 4200-4242, this is due to PBO set to +200, it does help in all core boost so I think AMDrobert F'ed up in his video should have mentioned all core instead of single core lol. Without it my all core boost is around 4000-4100. Single core boost doesn't require PBO but all core boost is boosted by +200.

    I do expect further bios tweaks to get it past 4600. I should be getting 4575 max but my bus clock is always at 99.8, even if I set it to 100 in bios.

    With memory at 3600 my boost clock was just below 4.5ghz. I am sure all of this will be tweaked out with more mature bioses.

    hope this helps. Let me know if you see any difference.

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    17

    Thanks. Will give it a try and see if it will work. Messed around with more bios setting last night and best single core boost I got one time was 4.45...kind of disappointing

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    17

    Quote Originally Posted by nitinkumar00 View Post
    I was having the same issue. Try this.

    Go to extreme tweaker in bios.

    Set ram speed to 3533 if you are above that.
    Under enhance performance set that to default.
    Under precision boost set it to enabled, and +200.
    Set voltage to auto - don;t worry about offset.
    Latest AMD drivers with AMD balance profile.

    reboot. Launch hwinfo64 and monitor the boost clocks. I am getting about 4566.6 max. My single core score in cinebench went up after it and I see single core boost at 4400-4500+ depending on load. Also All core boost is around 4200-4242, this is due to PBO set to +200, it does help in all core boost so I think AMDrobert F'ed up in his video should have mentioned all core instead of single core lol. Without it my all core boost is around 4000-4100. Single core boost doesn't require PBO but all core boost is boosted by +200.

    I do expect further bios tweaks to get it past 4600. I should be getting 4575 max but my bus clock is always at 99.8, even if I set it to 100 in bios.

    With memory at 3600 my boost clock was just below 4.5ghz. I am sure all of this will be tweaked out with more mature bioses.

    hope this helps. Let me know if you see any difference.

    Forgot to ask, did you also set PBO in Ryzen Master as well? Also I assume you're running the latest Asus bios ABB?

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Scblacksunshine View Post
    Forgot to ask, did you also set PBO in Ryzen Master as well? Also I assume you're running the latest Asus bios ABB?
    I dont really mess with any setting in ryzen master. All bios. I just use ryzen master to monitor. Yes ABB bios.

    Also by enahnce performance I meant performance enhancer setting under extreme tweaker.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    17

    Sadly no luck on those settings, still boosting maybe 4.4 single on a good day

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Scblacksunshine View Post
    Sadly no luck on those settings, still boosting maybe 4.4 single on a good day
    what are you checking your boost clock with?

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    17

    Latest HWinfo and Ryzen Master

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •