cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Zepherus GX501 Swollen battery problem.

AnyApples
Level 7
The swollen battery thing has happened to me twice already. 1st one was 6-7months in when I notice my keyboard started to life and became uneven. Got it sent in to Asus RMA and got it repaired (tooks about 3-4 weeks to get my devices back and about $100 to ship it to facility. Repair was free because I was under warranty). I notice the keyboard became uneven again 5-6 months in and yup! is was the battery again. I just got my batter replaced again a year later since repaired and this time I was out of warranty. Got mine off of amazon for $80 or so and got it shipped within 3 days. Self repaired took about 2 hours or so if it wasnt for the repair service chipping one of the screws and I had to drill to get it out. (That was fun). All in all, this system is great! It can run minecraft! except for the only issue is that the battery life span seems to last about half of a year before you start to gamble your fingers/face/etc being blown off due to the battery. I dont quite understand how there isnt a call back for these devices yet. Maybe because one never actually exploded like the Samsung galaxy 7 Note .

This is none of the less a rant from me because the device at the time I bought it for $3k and I'm kinda salty. Down below will be two pictures of a comparison between a normal battery vs a bomb 🙂

PS: I'm too nice, maybe I should have let the battery explode and lose a couple of limbs or even my life just so I can sue and get money off of this lol (like the Note 7).
Hey, at least I can then pay off my student loans lol.
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
Theoretically the battery's internal circuitry should prevent overcharging so the laptop shouldn't matter but I wonder if certain machines are somehow more prone to causing the issue as well. It seems to be happening with some regularity on yours but I couldn't guess why. Certainly seems annoying.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

anandvoyager
Level 7
AnyApples wrote:

This is none of the less a rant from me because the device at the time I bought it for $3k and I'm kinda salty. Down below will be two pictures of a comparison between a normal battery vs a bomb 🙂

when and how did you come to know of this swelling coz its always inside . any tips on when you should feel alarmed and suspect swelling in the batteries(especially when it happens twice) .... its scary ?:mad:

anandvoyager wrote:
when and how did you come to know of this swelling coz its always inside . any tips on when you should feel alarmed and suspect swelling in the batteries(especially when it happens twice) .... its scary ?:mad:

I start to notice the swelling when the keyboard started to lift and become uneven. It will reach to a point where the keyboard are so uneven from the bulge that when you put the laptop to sleep and shut the lid. The bulge wont let it close all the way and keyboards will pressed upon the screen causing it to turn back on.

Pheebau
Level 7
Which of the GX501 is this - there are several ones - mine is GX501GI for instance - I have had it for 1 year and use it every day and no problem.

Pheebau
Level 7

DJRiful
Level 7
You guys should install "ASUS battery Health Charging"

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1032726/

I am running it for months after the first swollen battery. Now, my battery is flat all the time keeping the AC 24/7. I just set it to Life Span mode 60% charged only.

DJRiful wrote:
You guys should install "ASUS battery Health Charging"

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1032726/

I am running it for months after the first swollen battery. Now, my battery is flat all the time keeping the AC 24/7. I just set it to Life Span mode 60% charged only.

That is exactly what I have done since day 1 - no problem - best advice for sure

thejebronie
Level 7
same here i just order a battery today , this will be my second one i contacted asus and they say we do not sale battery so i had to go aftermarket , and yes i am using the battery doctor app and it is set at 60 % and it still start swelling again 13 mounts later awesome

nday76
Level 9
where do you buy the battery from?