cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating question for ROG Hero III G731GW

quilter
Level 7
I just replaced my ROG G74SX and am really REALLY trying to keep my week old ROG Hero III in pristine condition. The My Asus App keeps telling me that I have 2 updates and need to update immediately and then it spins FOREVER without accomplishing anything or else it tells me the app can't function and I need to restart or reboot the computer.

After checking the Asus website I find there are a bunch of updated drivers listed for this model including a new BIOS. I'm FINALLY getting to my question: do you update all drivers, etc. on a regular basis when you find them listed? or as someone told me once, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

Thanks in advance for advice and/or words of wisdom.
1 REPLY 1

jdfrench3
Level 12
If you want to do the best for your new laptop, remove and store the original drives that came with the unit. Install new drives using Macrium Reflect to clone your original OS and ASUS programing (including a copy of your Recovery Partition). Doing so will also preserve a copy of your eSupport Folder. If problems arise in the future you can restore the laptop to original configuration in minutes.

I perform all updates on my G752VSK when I see them. I use IvanRF website to keep my drivers and programs updated (more current than what is listed on the ASUS Download Center website). I use drivers and programs found on many newer ASUS laptops. It takes a lot of trial and error but my laptop works like a top.

https://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

Do perform the latest BIOS update as it has some antivirus goodness included. The BIOS update was developed by Windows.

I keep a copy of all the update downloads I use, on my secondary drive for safe keeping.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server