cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voltage Colors

Somethingwhatev
Level 7
Can someone explain the significance of the color changes when I manually set dram, vccio/sa voltages on the latest 2102 bios for maximus x formula? I have dram at 1.35v which is yellow while vccio and sa voltages are white at 1.1v each. when I raised the VCCIO voltage to 1.20000 it turned yellow then I couldn't change it back. I had to click and delete a bunch of times until it took. Setting it to 1.25000 turned it purple.

I don't understand why they make these boards for overclocking but refuse to give you tech support when you ask them simple questions about voltages, saying, "we don't support overclocking."
1 REPLY 1

Zka17
Level 16
In general (on Asus ROG boards) the colors have a significance regarding safety: white - safe; yellow - your responsibility (usually means that left the safety zones, like for the VRAM by default is 1.2V, but the XMP is usually raising it to 1.35V); purple - unsafe (without proper cooling); red - dangerous (this usually is for liquid nitrogen)

It is all depending on your cooling solution - i.e. check your temps!

On older boards I have run voltages in the purple zone (Vcore, VRAM, VCCIO, VCCSA), but then I was in the OC game... nowadays, I am going for safety - meaning good temps with quiet cooling*